Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

Archive 2012 · Sell the 7d?
  
 
RobertLynn
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Sell the 7d?


You all know how I feel about the comparisons between the two bodies, there's things I like more about each and I truly feel that aside from dual slots, the bodies are interchangeable. (meaning mk3/7d).

After using an mk4, I'm in love.

I was discussing moving a 1d3 and a 7d/grip to go towards another one. I told my wife how much cash I would
Be out, and she (being my business accountant) said "what did you pay for the 7d?"

I paid 1899 plus I bought a grip for 229, and another battery for 89. I would probably get 1350 for it. She said that taking almost a $1000 bath is dumb. She suggests keeping it and just eating the $1300 or so I would get for it.

I suppose that makes sense, if I sell it, I lose $1000. If I don't, I spend $1300 more out of pocket. So for $300 more, I keep another camera. Admittedly, there's features of the 7d I like over my 1 series.

If I'm shooting a pair of mk4's, am I really going to use the 7d though? And we know that the 7d isn't going to go up in value.



Apr 04, 2012 at 12:37 PM
Grantland
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Sell the 7d?


glad to hear you love the 1d4. i hope to get one soon.

sell the 7d. there is no way around not taking a hit.

i still have my d30 because . . .

grant




Apr 04, 2012 at 12:47 PM
Garylv
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Sell the 7d?


I'd keep it. I have two 1D MarkIII's along with the 7D. There are times when I want that smaller body (no grip) to fit in a small backpack with a couple small lenses. In my case the 7D gives video which the MarkIII's do not.

Other times when you're taking plenty of gear, it's nice to have two bodies rather than switching lenses on & off. I've spent much more time using two cameras like that rather than just one. Mainly for sports but it can apply to other events as well. Nice to have two cameras available.



Apr 04, 2012 at 12:48 PM
ggOk
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Sell the 7d?


I thought having three 1d bodies were nice.. alternate and backup... but of course.. Im no pro.. I don't even really need a backup body... if my camera breaks down.. I'll just pull out my iphone.. (the term backup body was just an excuse I used to my wife to purchase another body)

if you are shooting with pair of mark4 bodies.. I don't see that 7d ever being used unless it's for lightweight walk arounds. Sell now and and put it towards something nice later. just my 2 cents.

/r
Andy



Apr 04, 2012 at 12:51 PM
Garylv
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Sell the 7d?


I misread your message, not realizing you had the two 1D's. In that case you may as well sell it. My situation was a little different, no video on the Mark III's.


Apr 04, 2012 at 12:55 PM
RobertLynn
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Sell the 7d?


I've got 1mk3, 1mk4, 1 7d. I've been selling off some of the items. It used to be a pair of 7's and a pair of 3's.


I can see both sides of the fence. It just shows buying used is te ticket. I will lose less selling both mk3's than I will the one 7d.



Apr 04, 2012 at 01:03 PM
reno.peterson
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · Sell the 7d?


I like the idea of keeping the 7D for lighter days also. If after a few months, you're still not grabbing it "regularly", whatever that might mean to you, then let it go...

Again, just my $.02.



Apr 04, 2012 at 01:06 PM
loosh
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Sell the 7d?


You've already lost the $1,000, you just don't realize the loss until you sell it. If you're not going to get $1,350 worth of value out of the camera, you should sell it.


Apr 04, 2012 at 01:10 PM
iammikie
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · Sell the 7d?


I was in a similar scenario and sold the 1D3 & 7D and purchased the 5D3 to compliment my 1D4. It should be close to a break even deal $ wise. Now I have ff & crop sensor bodies both of which have great ISO properties. Your needs may vary!


Apr 04, 2012 at 01:11 PM
DLP
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · Sell the 7d?


RobertLynn wrote:
Admittedly, there's features of the 7d I like over my 1 series.



That's why I'd keep it unless you have to sell it to raise cash. The minute it's gone you'll probably wish you wouldn't have sold it.


Dave



Apr 04, 2012 at 03:18 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



M Lucca
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · Sell the 7d?


You must be one of the early adopters. Like them 5d3 owners today.

There will be days you don't minimize the "Look at me! I carry a big camera!" persona. That's where the 7d make sense.



Apr 04, 2012 at 04:10 PM
DLP
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · Sell the 7d?


loosh wrote:
You've already lost the $1,000, you just don't realize the loss until you sell it. If you're not going to get $1,350 worth of value out of the camera, you should sell it.


Realized or unrealized, a loss is still a loss. There's really no point in looking at past values. I'd venture a guess that the depreciation is already baked in on a used 7D. I would look at it from the perspective of using the 7D for 1-2 more years and probably not taking much of a decrease from current valuations.
The question I always ask myself before selling is will I get the amount of additional depreciation in use out of the product before I want to sell in the future.

Dave



Apr 04, 2012 at 04:46 PM
jasonpatrick
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · Sell the 7d?


Every day you wait, you will realize more loss either when the camera breaks or when you sell it. You're a pro photographer, and this is a business decision. Fortunately, lenses hold their value well, but most assets that get used daily depreciate. Assuming that the value of the photographs you made with the 7D were more than the 1000 depreciation you'll realize, it was a good business decision. What percentages you use to figure out where the line of "is it worth it?" is up to you. Anyway, I totally agree that buying used will help the bottom line, but you gotta measure that against how much more you can make with a newer/better/quicker etc., camera.

The only way I'd keep the camera is if you shifted it out of the "business" end of photography and used it on the "pleasure" side. That way you're not using one of your 1D IV's when you're shooting your kids birthday, the family gathering, etc. If you're willing to use the 7D for that stuff, you will keep less clicks on the 1dIV, decreasing the possibility of damaging them (kid pouring koolaid on it etc.), and extending the life of your business assets.




Apr 04, 2012 at 09:37 PM
Tony B
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · Sell the 7d?


jasonpatrick wrote:
Every day you wait, you will realize more loss either when the camera breaks or when you sell it. You're a pro photographer, and this is a business decision. Fortunately, lenses hold their value well, but most assets that get used daily depreciate. Assuming that the value of the photographs you made with the 7D were more than the 1000 depreciation you'll realize, it was a good business decision. What percentages you use to figure out where the line of "is it worth it?" is up to you. Anyway, I totally agree that buying used will help the bottom line,
...Show more

+1. In business as a professional photographer clients pay for gear. If they do not then there is something wrong with the business plan & my suggestion,as an accountant, would be to find an alternative day job. Cameras are a business necessity as are letterheadings, printing paper, paper clips, desk, chair etc.. I cannot think of any other profession where some "pros" spend as much time asking what tools are needed to do THEIR job. By far my largest business expense is my motor vehicle, followed by employee wages, followed by gear. Which leads me to ask Pinto, Mustang or Continental? Sorry wrong forum.


Edited on Apr 04, 2012 at 10:13 PM · View previous versions



Apr 04, 2012 at 10:03 PM
John Zeman
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · Sell the 7d?


I recently decided to sell my 7D and 5D to help pay for the 1D4 which I've had now for a couple weeks and I have no regrets at all. The 1D4 complements my 5D2 quite nicely and when I don't want to lug around a big body I'll reach for the G1 X which is a remarkable camera in its own right.


Apr 04, 2012 at 10:06 PM
gatorwesty
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · Sell the 7d?


1350 might even be a stretch as well, 7d used prices seem to be lower than that now so you may be looking at 12-1250 now, and in another 6 months another 100 less. I would dump it now and cut your loses and look for the deals now on mkIV, prices are dropping on those as well, 37 to 38 for nice low click units. I love my mkIII and dont use video so it works for me. I may be selling soon to cut my loses as well though as they are dropping fast too.


Apr 04, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Jim Victory
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · Sell the 7d?


I would keep it and get as much work, money, I could out of it. You may be able to pay for it using it on a few jobs so that no matter when you sell it or what you get for it you have not lost anything.

Your using your equipment to make money. As far as I'm concern if that use pays for itself you haven't lost anything in the end.

Jim



Apr 04, 2012 at 11:54 PM
RobertLynn
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · Sell the 7d?


gatorwesty wrote:
1350 might even be a stretch as well, 7d used prices seem to be lower than that now so you may be looking at 12-1250 now, and in another 6 months another 100 less. I would dump it now and cut your loses and look for the deals now on mkIV, prices are dropping on those as well, 37 to 38 for nice low click units. I love my mkIII and dont use video so it works for me. I may be selling soon to cut my loses as well though as they are dropping fast too.


Damn. I figured I was in the 13-1350 range More of a reason to not sell the 7D.

Tony B wrote:
+1. In business as a professional photographer clients pay for gear. If they do not then there is something wrong with the business plan & my suggestion,as an accountant, would be to find an alternative day job. Cameras are a business necessity as are letterheadings, printing paper, paper clips, desk, chair etc.. I cannot think of any other profession where some "pros" spend as much time asking what tools are needed to do THEIR job. By far my largest business expense is my motor vehicle, followed by employee wages, followed by gear. Which leads me to ask Pinto, Mustang
...Show more

My clients do pay for my equipment. This wasn't a "what do I need to use to do my business thread". I've coverd that in my head countless times. It was a toss up between 5D3 and 1DIV. ultimately, even though I make much less shooting sports than I do weddings, I also enjoy shooting sports. The 5D3's just weren't going to cut it for me at 6FPS.

I'm also one of those greedy professional photographers that keeps another job as well Pension plan, retirement lump sum and health benefits are wonderful to be able to guarantee to my family.

iammikie wrote:
I was in a similar scenario and sold the 1D3 & 7D and purchased the 5D3 to compliment my 1D4. It should be close to a break even deal $ wise. Now I have ff & crop sensor bodies both of which have great ISO properties. Your needs may vary!

This is an avenue that I've considered. But I think that after adding another 5D battery/grip, I'll be worse off than just buying another Mk4.

Jim Victory wrote:
I would keep it and get as much work, money, I could out of it. You may be able to pay for it using it on a few jobs so that no matter when you sell it or what you get for it you have not lost anything.

Your using your equipment to make money. As far as I'm concern if that use pays for itself you haven't lost anything in the end.

Jim

Thank you Jim. I appreciate the comments that you've all given and the advice. I believe that even if when I buy another Mk4 I will keep the 7D.



Apr 04, 2012 at 11:55 PM
Yohan Pamudji
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · Sell the 7d?


So are you selling the 1DIII and getting another 1DIV regardless, or does the sale of the 1DIII and acquisition of your second 1DIV hinge on the sale of the 7D?

If the former then you have essentially lost the depreciation value of the 7D already and just have the camera sitting around doing nothing but losing more value (assuming you won't use it much once you get your 2nd 1DIV). It doesn't matter how much the value has dropped, because whether you sell it or not the depreciation has already occurred. Better to sell it now before it loses more value in that case. If you keep it you'll suffer continuing depreciation on 3 camera bodies (2x 1DIV and 1 7D), whereas if you sell it you only have 2 bodies depreciating.

If the latter (buying 2nd 1DIV depends on 7D sale) then more factors come into play, but I won't bother with that scenario unless you say that that's the case.

I can tell you right now that this math is wrong though:

RobertLynn wrote:
I paid 1899 plus I bought a grip for 229, and another battery for 89. I would probably get 1350 for it. She said that taking almost a $1000 bath is dumb. She suggests keeping it and just eating the $1300 or so I would get for it.

I suppose that makes sense, if I sell it, I lose $1000. If I don't, I spend $1300 more out of pocket. So for $300 more, I keep another camera. Admittedly, there's features of the 7d I like over my 1 series.


If you sell it you don't lose $1000. You already lost that in depreciation. Not selling it doesn't make the value stay at the $2300 you paid for it. If you sell it you gain $1300, assuming you can get that much for it.



Apr 05, 2012 at 12:03 AM
RobertLynn
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · Sell the 7d?


Yohan, you are absolutely correct on that math.

I am buying another 1div regardless. I do all of my purchases on my card that way I have "some" protection. If I do not sell the 7d, I have a higher end balance, that's all. It's not a make me or break me decision.



Apr 05, 2012 at 12:12 AM
1
       2       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password