Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · First IR Tests

byteseller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First IR Tests

I've been trying to sell a D3000 in the buy-sell section with no luck at all and it made me wonder if I should just have the body modified for IR photography -- I always loved IR (B&W) landscapes, at least when well done. I decided that before taking that expensive and not hassle free road I would play with something a lot less expensive. I picked up some inexpensive IR filters (believe it or not these exists) and charged up an old Sony F717 - and took it out for a quick first test run to see what kinds of photos I could get. Didn't have any "glamourous" landscapes, just what was available during a lunch time walk at work. (the beauty of the 717 is that it does not need to be modified to shoot in IR)

Here are a few of the best shots:

http://www.pbase.com/pyanez/image/142487376.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/pyanez/image/142487379.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/pyanez/image/142487378.jpg

Not really great -- but some potential and maybe whetted my appetite playing a bit more while considering having my D3000 IR'd...

Apr 04, 2012 at 06:58 AM
TripleYYY
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First IR Tests

This test is interesting. Looks like you had some fun. Yes there are filters. Fun stuff.

Y

Apr 04, 2012 at 01:30 PM
byteseller
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First IR Tests

Thanks -- I knew there were IR filters... even had them back in the early 80's when I use to shoot IR film. I just didn't know there were inexpensive IR filter (with good performance). I was hesitant to pick up a Hoya for instance for around $100 - the set I purchased was about $25 for 4 different wavelengths!!! (720/760/850/950)

Apr 04, 2012 at 01:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

astro-ep
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First IR Tests

Good-looking shots. A full-spectrum DSLR will do a great job, especially since you're planning to use multiple filters.

IR conversion is a great use for an old camera. I modified an old 300D, that I had for astro-use. I liked it so much that I bought a 40D for conversion (Live-view helps tremendously).

Thanks for sharing your IR tests...

Apr 04, 2012 at 02:19 PM
byteseller
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First IR Tests

By "A full-spectrum DSLR will do a great job", do you mean without modification? I assume not, but I know that some folks shoot with unmodified DSLRs, but it seems to me that the exposure times start to become extremely slow.

Apr 06, 2012 at 06:45 AM
astro-ep
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First IR Tests

Hi Seller,

An unmodified DSLR has a UV/IR cut filter installed, which limits the transmission to the visible spectrum. Some can get IR, with long exposures, but the majority of the IR is blocked from the sensor.

By Full Spectrum DSLR, I mean one that has had a conversion performed, where a clear filter has been installed in-place of the UV-IR cut filter. This basically opens up the DSLR's spectrum to the full sensitivity of the sensor (from roughly 370 - 1000nm). This way, you can use any external filter you wish. There are other types of IR modifications, but this is probably the most flexible.

Feel free to contact me off-line if you'd like more details or info...

Eric

Apr 06, 2012 at 01:14 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password