Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 5d Mk III Lens set up

Seabassius

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5d Mk III Lens set up

"If I was a rich man...."

I bought the 5dMkIII and have a 70-200 F4 L non IS. Sold off all of my other lenses as they were EF-S. Looking to put together an ensemble. I like to shoot everything (I know this helps narrow it down). I mainly got into the hobby a few years ago for landscape but have really enjoyed travel and street scenes (actually had one as a finalist for smithsonian mag last year). We just had twins so babies seem to be the only focus these days and eventually it will be kids on the move. I have dabbled in macro and would like to play more in that space. ALso wouldn't mind trying some still-lifes (especially using light painting). I do the odd job portrait or real estate shoot occasionally and may take on more of that to support the hobby.

Ensemble I was thinking of is the
70-200 F4 L (already own) like the light weight, quality and I'm a bit of a compressionist
17-40 F4L mainly for landscape and real estate (don't know much about this lens)
50 F1.4 All purpose
100F2.8 Macro torn here on the IS or non money eventually becomes an issue
Rent 24mm TS when I want to do landscape to supplement the first two.

Don't want to break the bank and weight and carrying ability is important to me. Looking at the 5dIII to be my camera for the next 5 years and would like to accumulate these lenses over the next 2. Any thoughts? Open to off brand lenses that I haven't considered. Just do not know much about them. Thanks in advance. I realize this is probably asked a lot.

Examples of my past stuff can be seen at
www.lanceburchphotography.com

Apr 04, 2012 at 04:17 AM
4x4rock
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5d Mk III Lens set up

The AF for the 5d3 is really optimized for f2.8 lenses or faster so you want to take full advantage of it then fast lenses are the way to go. With that said, the 17-40 is an excellent lens for landscape as well as walk around wide zoom. For Macro either the non IS or the new IS will be just fine.

Good luck with what you choose.

Apr 04, 2012 at 05:06 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5d Mk III Lens set up

17-40 is a good value lens, not great sharpness at the wide end, good AF speed
50f1.4 is okay, not good at 1.4, not fast AF, not built very solid
Either 100 macro is excellent

I'd go with a 24-70f2.8 - you'll probably get a good used deal because the new one is coming out.
Excellent IQ, fast AF, f2.8 for lowlight or fast shutter speed, excellent build. A bit heavy.
Then add a 85f1.8 when you can afford it. Great for lowlight and portraits of the kiddies.

Apr 04, 2012 at 06:50 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password