Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Need to round out my gear.

campy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Need to round out my gear.

I am in the process of switching from Sony to Canon and so far I have the 5D MK II along with the 70-200 f4 IS. I also have the 24-105 and 580 EX on it's way. I am considering the 100-400mm IS, 135mm f2 and maybe 100mm macro. I would love the bokeh of the 135 and also use it for a close focus lens for flowers and other objects that don't need a true macro. The 100-400 would seem to be a great match for my two lenses giving me coverage from 24-400mm and all be L lenses the quality should be great. Everyone says the 135 f2 is a great lens but I see a lot of people selling theirs and it makes me wonder why.
Anyone have any suggestions

Apr 04, 2012 at 01:29 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Need to round out my gear.

Probably some folks find they don't have enough use for the 135 mm FL. It _is_ a great lens, sharp wide open, very fast focusing. Depending upon how much experience you have, I'd say either trust your judgment of what you would find useful, or hold off on getting a fast prime until use of the zooms tells you what FL you most want with a wide aperture.

Apr 04, 2012 at 01:36 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Need to round out my gear.

The 135mmL lens is indeed a superb lens, tack sharp at wide open with lots of smooth bokeh. The last time I sold mine since I felt it could be replaced by the 70-200mm f/2.8 Mark II and to a certain degree it did but I really missed that lens and bought another copy recently. I am on my 3rd copy right now . I confess that the 135mm lens is not my most used lens since the 70-200mm is significantly more flexible and with IS but each I look at the rendition and characteristics this lens generates, I have nothing but praises for it all over again.

Apr 04, 2012 at 01:48 AM
bbasiaga
• • •
p.1 #4 · Need to round out my gear.

I have all of the lenses you mention, save the 24-105L. My 5d is the original though.

With what you have, I would say this - get something to expand your FL range instead of one of the primes that covers one of your zooms. Add those later. The 70-200F4L IS is plenty sharp, and you can manage DOF pretty well, though you won't get the razor thin stuff the 135F2 can give you.

The 100-400 gives you reach, which can be great depending on what you like to shoot. I'd consider that a top contender if you like to do wildlife. If, on the other hand, you prefer bigger scenes/architecture/landscapes, get a 17-40F4L.

The 100mm macro is a great lens, but you can get by for a while doing macro work with some extension tubes on your 70-200.

I just got the 135 F2 last week and haven't played much with it, but it is super sharp and has GREAT colors. A definite for your collection, but not right now.

So, I'd say 100-400 first. Then maybe a 17-40, or by then you'll have enough experience to know what FL you like best, and get a good prime in that range.

-Brian

Apr 04, 2012 at 01:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Need to round out my gear.

The awesome 70-200f2.8 mkII makes the 135f2 a much less used lens for many owners and instead of having them collecting dust they decided to collect the cash.

I have all the lenses your considering except the 135. All excellent choices if they meet your needs.
My least used lens is the macro.

Apr 04, 2012 at 07:02 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Need to round out my gear.

The 135mm is a great lens but the 70-200mm f2.8L IS is so good and so versatile that most people prefer it. But, Prime lenses are much better for video due to the fact that they are better for manual focusing and generally have little focus breathing and less CA and have better bokeh. So quite a few video shooters choose them over zooms but most still photo people that get the 135 sell it.

Apr 04, 2012 at 07:38 AM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Need to round out my gear.

I have no experience with the 70-200/2.8 (I am using the f4 version instead for scenery and landscape work) but decided in the past to vest in a few faster primes instead of the zoom. My favorite in this focal length range remains the 135/2. It gives me the best keeper rate at f/2 with fast and reliable AF. With the 1.4x teleconverter I get close to the long end of the zoom with the 135/2 and still be at f/2.8. Disadvantage of this combo: no IS, so either faster shutter speed is needed or tripod.

Apr 04, 2012 at 07:03 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password