Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · 24-70 delayed till July...what gives Canon?

arbitrage
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 24-70 delayed till July...what gives Canon?

Canon rumours reports this lens may be delayed till July now. I don't know why Canon is having so many problems with getting there lenses to market on time. Sure I understand the natural disaster delays for the supertelephotos due to the disruption of fluorite growing but the 24-70 was announced after all the dust had settled so why are they delaying it. The only launch they've done well in the last number of years is the 5D3.

Maybe it won't turn out to be true but sounds like he is fairly confident that the delay is real.

Apr 03, 2012 at 01:19 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · 24-70 delayed till July...what gives Canon?

Vistek seem to've been told by Canon Canada they will have the lens by the end of June. See this.

What concerns me more is that I still haven't got my 500 II promised delivery date which I can believe. So it's all just ongoing waiting.

Apr 03, 2012 at 01:48 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · 24-70 delayed till July...what gives Canon?

I'm waiting on those new f/4 lenses also as you know. I'm still debating between the 400, 500 and 600 mark 2s. I'm renting a 400 mk2 for F1 in June so at least will get to try that one. If the 600 comes out before that then may switch to rent it instead.

Apr 03, 2012 at 01:55 PM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.1 #4 · 24-70 delayed till July...what gives Canon?

Nikon and Canon are still both recovering from the earthquake and tsunami from last year. It was over a year ago now, but it screwed things up a lot for both companies.

Apr 03, 2012 at 01:59 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · 24-70 delayed till July...what gives Canon?

Tim Adams wrote:
Nikon and Canon are still both recovering from the earthquake and tsunami from last year. It was over a year ago now, but it screwed things up a lot for both companies.

No doubt about that.....the disaster seems to have also screwed up their ability to forecast delayed delivery dates with some semblance of accuracy. This way, what we have is basically open ended availability timing.

Apr 03, 2012 at 02:21 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · 24-70 delayed till July...what gives Canon?

No doubt the 24-70 II and the 1DX have been put on the back burner while Canon struggles to meet the insatiable demand for 60Da.

Apr 03, 2012 at 02:28 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · 24-70 delayed till July...what gives Canon?

molson wrote:
No doubt the 24-70 II and the 1DX have been put on the back burner while Canon struggles to meet the insatiable demand for 60Da.

Right.....let us also not forget the overheated 8-15L market.

Apr 03, 2012 at 02:34 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · 24-70 delayed till July...what gives Canon?

Well, then there is no need to pull your wallet out, at least not for awhile .

Apr 03, 2012 at 02:43 PM
twistedlim
• • • •
p.1 #9 · 24-70 delayed till July...what gives Canon?

There have been a few postings on various boards regarding issues with the image quality. In particular the distortion. This was noted a while ago on the Canon Rumors forum.

The performance does not seem to be so good. The spherical aberration is delivered to less than +-0.2mm in all conditions at the outskirts. The astigmatism exceeds 1mm extremely badly in the short distance. The distortion is -4% of barrels type in the wide side. In the short distance, the distortion is +5% of lozenge type in the tele side. The chromatic aberration of magnification is corrected well.

For comparison the current 24-70 has -2.5 at 24 and +2.0 at 70, the 24-105 numbers are +5.5 and -2 for another reference. Frankly I have no need for a "new" 24-70 that has the distortion of the 24-105. I will stay with what I have if this is the case.

Apr 03, 2012 at 02:43 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · 24-70 delayed till July...what gives Canon?

PetKal wrote:
No doubt about that.....the disaster seems to have also screwed up their ability to forecast delayed delivery dates with some semblance of accuracy. This way, what we have is basically open ended availability timing.

I think Canon decided to pre-announce their new lenses way ahead rather than having silence for a year. But yeh, it is starting to feel like Canon is crying wolf too often lately.

Apr 03, 2012 at 02:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

retrofocus
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · 24-70 delayed till July...what gives Canon?

Maybe some last minute tweaks after competitors released similar products? Or maybe because of the price tag - the market for higher end photo gear is fairly low in demand since a while. To keep a price tag stable and high maybe they are trying to wait a bit longer.

Apr 03, 2012 at 02:51 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · 24-70 delayed till July...what gives Canon?

twistedlim wrote:
There have been a few postings on various boards regarding issues with the image quality. In particular the distortion. This was noted a while ago on the Canon Rumors forum.

The performance does not seem to be so good. The spherical aberration is delivered to less than +-0.2mm in all conditions at the outskirts. The astigmatism exceeds 1mm extremely badly in the short distance. The distortion is -4% of barrels type in the wide side. In the short distance, the distortion is +5% of lozenge type in the tele side. The chromatic aberration of magnification is corrected well.

For comparison
...Show more

Uggg... Those aren't good numbers if true. I can't stand the 24-105 short end distortion. Would never pay that sort of cash for any lens with bad distortion on bothe ends.

Apr 03, 2012 at 03:31 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · 24-70 delayed till July...what gives Canon?

Weird... I've heard the exact opposite. Certain unnamed people are saying this is the best Canon zoom ever.

I will say this though... it's April right now. If they haven't even settled on an optical design yet, there is NO WAY they're going to have this lens shipping in two months. Whatever issues they have at this point should be on the manufacturing side and not the product design side.

Apr 03, 2012 at 03:39 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · 24-70 delayed till July...what gives Canon?

arbitrage wrote:
Uggg... Those aren't good numbers if true. I can't stand the 24-105 short end distortion. Would never pay that sort of cash for any lens with bad distortion on bothe ends.

+1. I went from 24-70 to 24-105 and quickly went back to the 24-70 when I found out how bad the distortion is at the short end. But, now with LR-4 where you can just tick off 2 boxes and it will remove all distortion, vignetting and CA, it's not so much of a problem anymore.

Apr 03, 2012 at 03:53 PM
erikburd
• • •
p.1 #15 · 24-70 delayed till July...what gives Canon?

I'm not at all surprised with the delay - given the natural disasters and other issues, I would expect some delays. That said, it's been over a year since then, and you would think that Canon would've put some effort into getting production up and running, which is in their best interests over the short and long term. I also wouldn't expect that process to be overnight either, so I'm cutting them some slack.

Then again, I'm also sick and tired of Canon constantly pumping out "releases" for products that are vaporware, or "delayed" for over one year, like the 8-15L fisheye and the new telephotos.

This kind of reminds me of "Duke Nukem Forever".

Apr 03, 2012 at 04:21 PM
brad_s
• • •
p.1 #16 · 24-70 delayed till July...what gives Canon?

AGeoJO wrote:
Well, then there is no need to pull your wallet out, at least not for awhile .

...except now they can do a price increase just before it hits the market.

Apr 03, 2012 at 09:23 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · 24-70 delayed till July...what gives Canon?

Tammy 24-70 VC is looking better all the time. Now we just need some images. Goes on sale this week in Australia and I may just buy one to replace my fungus laden 28-75. Too bad they didn't keep the 75mm at the long end.

Apr 03, 2012 at 10:55 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · 24-70 delayed till July...what gives Canon?

Tim Adams wrote:

So how does that explain the 5D III getting out the door so quickly?

Maybe they are having trouble finding sand that's not irradiated

Apr 03, 2012 at 10:57 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.1 #19 · 24-70 delayed till July...what gives Canon?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Tammy 24-70 VC is looking better all the time. Now we just need some images...

My thoughts exactly! I'm awaiting this with eager anticipation.

Apr 03, 2012 at 11:18 PM
skid00skid00
• •
p.1 #20 · 24-70 delayed till July...what gives Canon?

Yeah! Japan should take a lesson from how the US cleaned up after Katrina... That happened 6 years ago, and we've cleaned up... Oh, wait... Nevermind.

http://www.google.com/search?q=new+orleans+katrina+repairs&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1#q=new+orleans+katrina+repairs&hl=en&tbo=1&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&output=search&source=lnt&tbs=qdr:m&sa=X&ei=SYd7T8KVFIj50gGewpy4Bg&ved=0CAcQpwUoBA&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=50aeccfec5fc8449&biw=1440&bih=753

Apr 03, 2012 at 11:27 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password