Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Canon 60Da just announced. Wha?

WilliamG
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Canon 60Da just announced. Wha?

Crazy naming scheme!

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/03/canon-eos-60da-dslr-astronomy-night-shooting-price-release-date/

Apr 03, 2012 at 06:45 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Canon 60Da just announced. Wha?

Why is that crazy? A 60D for astronomy = 60Da

Apr 03, 2012 at 07:14 AM
WilliamG
• • •
p.1 #3 · Canon 60Da just announced. Wha?

surf monkey wrote:
Why is that crazy? A 60D for astronomy = 60Da

Seems a bit bananas to me, that's all.

Apr 03, 2012 at 07:15 AM
norrad
• •
p.1 #4 · Canon 60Da just announced. Wha?

Just like the 20Da before it, right down to the same price.

Apr 03, 2012 at 07:16 AM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #5 · Canon 60Da just announced. Wha?

Many people on here probably don't even know about the 20Da. Seems like 20 years ago...

Apr 03, 2012 at 07:57 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Canon 60Da just announced. Wha?

Can you still use the 60Da for non-astro subjects?

Apr 03, 2012 at 08:40 AM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Canon 60Da just announced. Wha?

Canon launches EOS 60Da DSLR for astrophotography:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/04/03/Canon-EOS-60Da-for-astrophotography

Apr 03, 2012 at 11:35 AM
AvianScott
• •
p.1 #8 · Canon 60Da just announced. Wha?

That's a great price. I usually expect to pay anywhere from $250-$350 to have a professional astro-modify a camera for me - which eliminates any factory warranty. Kudos to Canon for keeping this small but important group in mind.

Apr 03, 2012 at 11:41 AM
S Dilworth
• •
p.1 #9 · Canon 60Da just announced. Wha?

I'm holding out for the 60Dada.

Apr 03, 2012 at 11:50 AM
cameron12x
• • •
p.1 #10 · Canon 60Da just announced. Wha?

April Fools? Fact or fiction? Time will tell. (It sounds very REAL.)

I had been looking for an affordable Canon body to leverage (keep) my white Canon lenses and, if the above is true, I may have just found it.

This would allow me to do landscape and shorter focal length photography with the 36mp Nikon D800e, and using the Canon 60Da body I'd be able to keep my Canon 70-200mm f4/L zoom and 400mm f/5.6 L prime lenses for astrophotography, (some) sports, wildlife, etc. (The latter assumes that some color adjustments are made in post, or that Canon provides a picture style that offsets what they've done with the in-camera filtering.)

Thanks Canon! (I really hope this is not fiction.)

Apr 03, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

john_edwards
• • •
p.1 #11 · Canon 60Da just announced. Wha?

You can read the spec's over at Canon rumors. Not sure about regular photography with the filters though.

Apr 03, 2012 at 12:34 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Canon 60Da just announced. Wha?

I'm a little surprised it carries a 50% ($500) price premium over a regular 60D. It seems like all they've done is just swap out a different IR filter and make a few processing tweaks (?).

Apr 03, 2012 at 12:47 PM
cameron12x
• • •
p.1 #13 · Canon 60Da just announced. Wha?

deepbluejh wrote:
I'm a little surprised it carries a 50% ($500) price premium over a regular 60D. It seems like all they've done is just swap out a different IR filter and make a few processing tweaks (?).

Agreed. I would have thought more like 20-30%.

But then again, that seems to be the trend of Canon pricing across the board recently?

Apr 03, 2012 at 01:08 PM
coranda
• •
p.1 #14 · Canon 60Da just announced. Wha?

deepbluejh wrote:

Yes, but don't underestimate the cost of adding a new process to the production line. Small volumes possibly drawn out of a long period do require some costs, including inventory management of a separate model and a separate component part in the assembly process.

I'm not saying the costs are 50%, just that it's not reasonable to say it's just a change of part and that is a minor change. In addition, the 60Da is apparently shipping with a couple of extra parts not included with the 60D (remote control adapter and ac power supply) so the premium they are charging to a niche market really isn't anything like 50%.

Apr 03, 2012 at 01:08 PM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Canon 60Da just announced. Wha?

norrad wrote:

I remember when the 20Da was out in 2005. It was a pretty hot camera for astro-imaging.
Today there are several other ways to get an astro camera modified. Hutech and Gary Honis both do wonderful jobs with the conversion and with a much better HA response than the Canon 20Da could do. It also looks like thier modifications will still give better results than the Canon version.
Here is a couple of images I did from 2008 with a Hutech conversion of a Canon 40D. They are of the Rosette Nebula and the summer Milky Way. If you compare them to the new 60Da sample images you will find that there is much more HA sensitivity and that is what you want.
You can get a Gary Honis modified 60D for a couple hundred bucks less than the Canon version and get a better camera IMHO.

Apr 03, 2012 at 01:27 PM
DLP
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Canon 60Da just announced. Wha?

cameron12x wrote:
April Fools? Fact or fiction? Time will tell.

Since this is showing under CAJ stock alerts today I'd say it's a fact.

Dave

Apr 03, 2012 at 01:37 PM
BennyR
• • •
p.1 #17 · Canon 60Da just announced. Wha?

Great shot Klaus. It would be nice to show a similar pic from a regular (non-modified) camera to show the difference. Here's a recent shot with a non modified 7D. It's just a single exposure so it's not as good as a stacked image. Haven't got around to producing a good stacked version. It would show much more red in the gases with a modified camera. I believe the streak in the image is a geosynchronous satellite. I'm interested in the new 60Da. Anyone know if it uses a digic 5? Hope so. Not on the Canon USA site yet.

Apr 03, 2012 at 01:58 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Canon 60Da just announced. Wha?

WilliamG wrote:
Seems a bit bananas to me, that's all.

What would you call a 60D that's for astronomy?

Apr 03, 2012 at 02:15 PM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Canon 60Da just announced. Wha?

BennyR wrote:
Great shot Klaus. It would be nice to show a similar pic from a regular (non-modified) camera to show the difference. Here's a recent shot with a non modified 7D. It's just a single exposure so it's not as good as a stacked image. Haven't got around to producing a good stacked version. It would show much more red in the gases with a modified camera. I believe the streak in the image is a geosynchronous satellite. I'm interested in the new 60Da. Anyone know if it uses a digic 5? Hope so. Not on the Canon USA site yet.

Nice catch with the satellite and the 7D doesn't look too bad for astro work. Here is a very early shot I did of the Orion Nebula with the 20Da about 7 years ago. I need to dig out the HD its on and apply some new NR on it but you ge the idea what a modified camera can do.

Apr 03, 2012 at 02:23 PM
3catsinky
• • •
p.1 #20 · Canon 60Da just announced. Wha?

those are way cool!

Apr 03, 2012 at 02:28 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password