Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Need Help please!

pacman642
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need Help please!

I was just contacted by a friend who owns a local vodka company and former bar owner. I took some shots just as the bar was closing. The guy who designed their bar stools and lights was a metal fabricator and is being featured on discover channel. The designer wants to use my photos for the show. No idea to charge, asked for credit? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I'm just starting my photo business and could use the help.

Thanks.

Apr 03, 2012 at 12:53 AM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need Help please!

What do you think your time is worth? If I asked you to come in and unclog a drain, what would you charge me?

Apr 03, 2012 at 01:41 AM
Jimsokay
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need Help please!

swoop wrote:
What do you think your time is worth? If I asked you to come in and unclog a drain, what would you charge me?

I love that analogy!

Apr 03, 2012 at 02:30 PM
Jimsokay
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need Help please!

pacman642 wrote:
I was just contacted by a friend who owns a local vodka company and former bar owner. I took some shots just as the bar was closing. The guy who designed their bar stools and lights was a metal fabricator and is being featured on discover channel. The designer wants to use my photos for the show. No idea to charge, asked for credit? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I'm just starting my photo business and could use the help.

Thanks.

Your work is not free. Asking for credit is always a joke, it is meaningless.

Things to consider are; how unique are the photos? Can they pay someone else peanuts and get the same or do yours rock? Are there people in the photos? Are they recognizable aka need for model releases?

Your friend may expect you to hand them over for free so he gets exposure. That puts you in an uncomfortable position just starting out in the business.

If the guy was my friend, a good friend not just an acquaintance I would give him a restricted license for use n/c. It the guy isn't a close friend then I would license them to Discovery for some money but don't expect residuals with something like this, could happen but don't be shocked at a one time payment.

If you do a favor for a good friend so he gets on the show then you can say "My work was on Discovery Channel" which is fine.

Just make sure you don't get taken for a ride by anyone. Remember you license for different usage. One license for the show, if the bar owner wants to use them that's another license and if the creator of the art wants to use them that's another license.

Have fun working through this, it's a good challenge for you.

Jim

Apr 03, 2012 at 02:42 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password