Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Big ears

eyelaser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Big ears

There is nothing like big ears to pick up the slightest sound. Remember the old photos of the hearing aids that were just a cone people held up to their ears to collect sound...well mother nature has a few like that too.
Servals are very cool cats...they are nocturnal so finding them during the day is a treat...this was around dusk but still enough light to get some color in their fur. They can hear voles and mice in amongst the high grasses and will leap up and pounce on them...they also have NBA ups and will snatch low flying birds as well...a pretty neat cat with markings between a leopard and a cheetah and about double to triple the size of a house cat.
The second is a genet...they come in two flavors...large spotted and small spotted...it is the size of the spots not the animal that differentiates them by name. While cat like in looks they are more closely related to weasels. Also nocturnal, they hunt lizards, small mammals and insects...sorry for the eye shine but no option at the time.
Lastly is the bat eared fox...one of my favorite critters...it is an insectivore and uses those satellite like dish ears to pick up those weak insect noises.
Eric

1 Serval

3 Debated about the centering...kept as is

5 Genet

6 Bat eared fox...I have more of these but have to find them...

Apr 02, 2012 at 12:43 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Big ears

Cool stuff Eric! Always neat to see the smaller cats, and the lesser known critters.

Apr 02, 2012 at 12:50 PM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Big ears

Eric:
Those Servals sure do have long legs in comparison to the rest of their bodies, maybe that is where they get their "NBA Leap" from. Nice set and interesting to see the others.
Douglas

Apr 02, 2012 at 01:36 PM
mike717
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Big ears

Thanks for the education Eric, cool pics to go along too!

Mike

Apr 02, 2012 at 02:18 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Big ears

Nice job on the Servals Eric! My eye is drawn right to their faces in each of those. Great shots and great info. I'm looking forward to seeing more of the batty Fox, he looks like an interesting subject.

Tim

Apr 02, 2012 at 02:25 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Big ears

Wonderful narrative and just marvelous shots very unique and interesting !

Birdie

Apr 02, 2012 at 02:50 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Big ears

another great set Eric

Apr 02, 2012 at 05:30 PM
CDaescher
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Big ears

Eric, lots of good info and great images to go with it. Thanks for sharing.
Chris

Apr 02, 2012 at 05:38 PM
Ed Robertson
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Big ears

Wonderful Job. Ed

Apr 02, 2012 at 05:42 PM
DonGut
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Big ears

Great shots of the serval. That looks like a young one. Where did you take these? Don

Apr 02, 2012 at 07:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Big ears

I love cats This one is a good looking one, and looks very agile with those long legs.
Very nice set that your commentary made more interesting
Socrate

Apr 02, 2012 at 11:49 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Big ears

KCollett wrote:
Cool stuff Eric! Always neat to see the smaller cats, and the lesser known critters.

It is for me too Kenny. Most of these guys are night stalkers and you just have to be lucky to catch them and even luckier to get a decent photograph. Some people hate night drives; me, I think they are so cool because you never see any of these coming and then voila...they are there!
Eric

Apr 03, 2012 at 12:51 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Big ears

douter wrote:
Eric:
Those Servals sure do have long legs in comparison to the rest of their bodies, maybe that is where they get their "NBA Leap" from. Nice set and interesting to see the others.
Douglas

I am sure you are correct Doug. I will try to find an old video I took years ago with one pouncing on some unsuspecting little rodent...one gulp and it was done!
Eric

Apr 03, 2012 at 12:53 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Big ears

mike717 wrote:
Thanks for the education Eric, cool pics to go along too!

Mike

If I don't dole out the info I will forget it...so it helps me to remember all I have picked up over the years.
Eric

Apr 03, 2012 at 12:54 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Big ears

Tim Kuhn wrote:
Nice job on the Servals Eric! My eye is drawn right to their faces in each of those. Great shots and great info. I'm looking forward to seeing more of the batty Fox, he looks like an interesting subject.

Tim

Thanks Tim...when I can get that eye contact I know I have a punchers chance at a keeper. Glad you like the prose along with the pix. The best bat eared fox photo I ever took was in 1980..one of the first wildlife photos I ever enlarged...of course its in slide form and my slide scanner is in NYC with my son. But I have come across them a bunch of times including a den site and they are lots of fun to observe.
Eric

Apr 03, 2012 at 12:57 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Big ears

birdied wrote:
Wonderful narrative and just marvelous shots very unique and interesting !

Birdie

People love the big 5...me I can't wait to so those elusive creatures that most don't care much about...
Eric

Apr 03, 2012 at 12:58 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · Big ears

kmunroe wrote:
another great set Eric

Thanks Kenny!
Eric

Apr 03, 2012 at 12:58 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Big ears

CDaescher wrote:
Eric, lots of good info and great images to go with it. Thanks for sharing.
Chris

Chris, I am really happy you enjoyed the stuff that goes along with the pix.
Eric

Apr 03, 2012 at 12:59 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · Big ears

Ed Robertson wrote:
Wonderful Job. Ed

Thank you sir...glad you approve
Eric

Apr 03, 2012 at 01:00 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · Big ears

DonGut wrote:
Great shots of the serval. That looks like a young one. Where did you take these? Don

First serval NOT seen by spotlight...it was in the Central Serengetti, near Kusini Camp...we gave it enough room that it didn't bolt and just continued on looking for a happy hour snack.
Eric

Apr 03, 2012 at 01:01 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password