FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · North Facing Window?

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · North Facing Window?

+1 @ understanding light ... i.e. no single use is "best"

I can recall plenty of times that I shot with light that was "too soft" (read as: listening to others exclaim how soft light was "best") rendering the subject flat for my objectives before I came to realize that it isn't "best" for everything. It has a quality that is nice to work with, while other (subjects/tastes) lean toward a higher contrast producing light.

Apr 04, 2012 at 06:14 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · North Facing Window?

BrianO wrote:
As with all great artists, he knew that one way of lighting a subject wasn't always the right way for every subject.

Along those lines, notice how Vermeer got very different looks and moods from the same source. He used subject orientation and distance to the source for different effects.

You don't even have to light the same subject the same. Consider the photographs of classic beauties of the movies - Audrey Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, Grace Kelly and Marilyn Monroe. They were photographed by different photographers using different lighting styles, often with very different results. Which one was the "right" way to light them? I'd answer all that produced interesting (and not always the most flattering) images.

Apr 04, 2012 at 06:25 AM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · North Facing Window?

wonderful thread - kudos to all the contributors!

Apr 04, 2012 at 06:26 AM
emilyrm

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · North Facing Window?

I just want to say... I love you all!!!

Seriously. I wasn't expecting this great of a response from my little question, but there is a TON of great information from all of you and I GREATLY appreciate your taking the time to help me understand this.

Apr 06, 2012 at 01:09 AM
RDKirk
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · North Facing Window?

Ah, one of my all-time favorite portraits. When I think of Vermeer, this is the one I always imagine.

It's a great portrait when the single image can inspire a novel and then a movie.

Apr 06, 2012 at 08:54 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · North Facing Window?

BrianO wrote:
I missed that one. Hadn't even heard of it. I'll have to see if it's on DVD.

"Girl With a Pearl Earring" is definately worth a rent. Netflix has it. It has an interesting story, a flight of fantasy around the girl in the painting. The bonus for us is that they worked hard to create the lighting seen in Vermeer's work.

Apr 06, 2012 at 11:34 AM
       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.