Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Strobe (Elinchrom) + White seamless background + Manfrot...

328iGuy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Strobe (Elinchrom) + White seamless background + Manfrotto 1341B stand HELP!

Wondering on some insight from all the strobe users here.

I have 2 x BX500Ri strobes with Portalite soft boxes + Canon 580EXII and 430EXII.

I have the Manfrotto 1341B background stand setup and a white seamless background paper roll.

What would be the best configuration of the lights in order to get good portrait light and overexposed background? (I also have a Sekon L-358 Light Meter)

Thanks for any and all help as I am just trying to get things setup this evening.

Apr 01, 2012 at 11:38 PM
eSchwab
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Strobe (Elinchrom) + White seamless background + Manfrotto 1341B stand HELP!

There's a million ways to skin this cat. However if you have two strobes I would use one to blow out the background (just barely, don't go crazy blasting it), and one as the main lights with a reflector for fill. I don't like using speedlites in this sort of setup because I find them to be a pain, but you definitely have more options if you choose to use them.

Apr 02, 2012 at 01:14 PM
328iGuy
• • •
p.1 #3 · Strobe (Elinchrom) + White seamless background + Manfrotto 1341B stand HELP!

Ok I could always try that scenario, but thought of using the 580EXII as a fill light to one side.

Apr 02, 2012 at 01:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rabbitmountain
• • •
p.1 #4 · Strobe (Elinchrom) + White seamless background + Manfrotto 1341B stand HELP!

I don't have much experience with multi flash configuration, but I've tried what you want to do with exactly the same units (all 4 of 'em).

What type of image do you want to create? Do you want to create a high key image? It is very well possible to balance the BXRi with the Speedlight. You can even use one speedlight for fill and one up high for a hairlight, although that's probably not what you're after given your wish to blow out the background.

If you wish to combine the 4 units I would advise you to use manual flash. But you probably already figured out how you want to trigger the flashes. Just make sure you keep enough space between the white blown out background and your subject.

Apr 02, 2012 at 08:25 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Strobe (Elinchrom) + White seamless background + Manfrotto 1341B stand HELP!

Follow this series: http://www.zarias.com/white-seamless-tutorial-part-1-gear-space/

Everyone seems to use a different amount of lights and ratios with a white bg.

Apr 02, 2012 at 10:17 PM
328iGuy
• • •
p.1 #6 · Strobe (Elinchrom) + White seamless background + Manfrotto 1341B stand HELP!

Mark_L wrote:
Follow this series: http://www.zarias.com/white-seamless-tutorial-part-1-gear-space/

Everyone seems to use a different amount of lights and ratios with a white bg.

I actually found that the other day, thanks a lot. It's a great start!

Apr 03, 2012 at 01:32 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password