Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Question: Hand holding gradient filters

Mstic
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question: Hand holding gradient filters

Just had a question when hand holding the gradient filter.
Does it distort your image if you don't hold the filter steady if you have long exposures?

I guess what I mean by distort is that perhaps one area of the image will have less light blocked as opposed to another area because you weren't holding it steady?

Thanks in advance.

Apr 01, 2012 at 11:11 PM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question: Hand holding gradient filters

Mstic wrote:
Just had a question when hand holding the gradient filter.
Does it distort your image if you don't hold the filter steady if you have long exposures?

I guess what I mean by distort is that perhaps one area of the image will have less light blocked as opposed to another area because you weren't holding it steady?

No. Some advocate hand holding the filter and moving it about to get a more gradual effect with a long exposure. Most that hand hold GND use the larger 4x6" from Lee or Singh Ray as there is more excess filter area to hold.

Apr 02, 2012 at 08:16 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question: Hand holding gradient filters

Jiggle from a handheld Gradient Graduated Gradated Neutral Density filter simply makes it smoother. But it also makes the gradation line less precisely positioned.

I have never bought one and use multiple exposures instead. There are a few very rare cases where I would like to have a set, but for now it is simply not worth the expense and bother and weight and space when multiple exposure techniques are so powerful, so flexible, and do not demand irrevocable commitment to snap decisions in the field.

Apr 02, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

chez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question: Hand holding gradient filters

Handhold all the time. Allows me to move the filter around during the exposure to ensure a better transition and just importantly, allows me to put apply the filter longer to certain parts of the scene than other parts. Sort of like burning and dodging in the darkroom where you could burn one area longer than another area.

Apr 02, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Mstic
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question: Hand holding gradient filters

Thanks for the all the input, greatly appreciated.

Apr 03, 2012 at 01:35 AM
PeaktoPeek
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question: Hand holding gradient filters

Yeah, on longer expoures I will also move the gradient line around to burn in the bighter areas.

Apr 03, 2012 at 06:02 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password