Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Peru- #9 on to Sexy Woman

Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Peru- #9 on to Sexy Woman

Well, that's the way most gringos pronounce Sacsayhuaman. Somehow, it's easier to remember.
The pics of the families and llamas are similar-but-different than in previous posts. I'm using them partly as flimsy justification for showing Sacsayhuaman- the "fortress" above the city of Cuzco (capital of the Inca Empire).
Weighing many tons, the blocks of granite were transported to this location without benefit of the use of wheels- which were never invented/discovered by the native peoples of the Americas. Nor did they have the use of pack animals to help in the pulling of the stones. The stones were then shaped to fit together precisely, and without mortar.
One more day after this- then adios Peru.

Charlie Shugart 2012

Charlie Shugart 2012

Charlie Shugart 2012

Charlie Shugart 2012

Apr 01, 2012 at 06:14 PM
tfoltz
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Peru- #9 on to Sexy Woman

Charlie, nice set. The stones amaze me, I really wonder how this was done.

-Tim

Apr 01, 2012 at 07:06 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Peru- #9 on to Sexy Woman

The women are hot Charlie. The stonework is amazing ~ Ron

Apr 01, 2012 at 08:15 PM
Thomas Sanders
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Peru- #9 on to Sexy Woman

Those Egyptians got nuthin on these folks Charlie, simply amazing!!

Tom

Apr 01, 2012 at 09:45 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Peru- #9 on to Sexy Woman

Thanks Tim and Ron and Tom.
The workers had only simple stone tools (basically rocks from rivers), to shape the granite stones. The stones were shaped at the rock quarry and pulled by rope to the site, where the finishing touches were made before putting the stones in place. The whole story of this is mind-boggling.
As is the story of who actually did the work on these great projects. It's much too complicated for me to get into here- even if I were an expert, which I am decidedly not. Suffice to say the workers were not slaves; they were (mostly local) Indios who worked under the supervision of the fair-minded rulers, the Incas. After working on projects such as this for a few months, the men went back to their regular lives with their families.
A word about the Indios who have lived in the high mountains of the Andes for thousands of years: Yes, they are handsome people. Very short, with short-but-strong legs and large chest cavities (needed to get oxygen from the thin air- Cuzco is 12,000 feet elevation- and it's in a valley!)
Google some of this stuff- it will fascinate you.
Charlie

Apr 01, 2012 at 10:02 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Peru- #9 on to Sexy Woman

You forgot to mention they had help from aliens!! Super people pics Charlie. Peru is definitely on my hit list. As are funds for travel.

Apr 01, 2012 at 10:20 PM
mstaben

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Peru- #9 on to Sexy Woman

First, I like this travelogue - the style and quality of the pictures are worthy of publication.

I woner, how do the locals smell? I mean, they must go long periods of time without bathing, and I'm guessing are not sophisticated enough for exotic perfumes so ... how hot would that woman be ... ?

Apr 01, 2012 at 11:22 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Peru- #9 on to Sexy Woman

very nice Charlie .. the last is interesting

Apr 01, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Peru- #9 on to Sexy Woman

Wonderful pictures Charlie and narrative.

Birdie

Apr 01, 2012 at 11:59 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Peru- #9 on to Sexy Woman

Great documentary work Charlie

Morris

Apr 02, 2012 at 12:31 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Peru- #9 on to Sexy Woman

Thanks Kenny, Staben, Ken, Birdie and Morris.
Aliens in Cuzco? Nah, they built the landing strips at lower elevations (the Nazca Lines) .
Staben makes the correct observation that the Indios I photographed didn't bathe very often. Honestly, I was too shy to get really close and sniff them . It can be assumed they didn't smell of "parfum." But that raises a whole bunch of questions- and I don't want this to become a B.O. discussion. But I will give these opinions: there are few (if any) health benefits to bathing regularly. In fact, scrubbing human skin every day with soap and water is UNhealthy because it removes important natural oils. 100 years ago in the US a Saturday night bath was it for a large percentage of the population. Flash to the present in the US: advertisements by perfume/deodorant manufacturers over the last 50 years or so have convinced most of us that if we smell like anything but perfumes we are terrible people and social outcasts. Truth is, if everyone stopped bathing and stunk to high heaven, after a couple of generations nobody would even notice it. We are all the victims of advertisers and corporate greed- in this and many other ways (my goodness, I have a car that's almost five years old; I need a new car or my neighbors will think ill of me). . Tuffshitski, neighbors. I'm keeping my car. And I showered this morning, but I might skip tomorrow. Deal with it!
And now back to our regular programming. (Pretty please .)
Charlie
Oh- MStaben: I'm quite sure that most of the Indios who don't live in Peru's few big cities (that would be almost all the Indios) don't have running water in their homes. And they don't bathe regularly. And to you and me they would smell bad. And to each other, they smell fine- it's you and I who smell bad .

Apr 02, 2012 at 01:12 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Peru- #9 on to Sexy Woman

Nice work Charlie and thanks for the info!! 3 really is a wonderful shot my friend

Tim

Apr 02, 2012 at 01:43 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Peru- #9 on to Sexy Woman

Charlie, the used llama salespeople are precious. Do they come with a warranty...the llamas, not the people (beat you to it )...Is that lady try to sell you a plate or is that the biggest Big Mac I've ever seen?
I am sure you have read "Chariots of the Gods". It is so patently obvious how the stones got to where they are without wheels or pulleys that I am shocked you didn't realize that alien vacation time was spent at the higher elevations so they could get better reception when calling home. But aliens being aliens they had busman's holidays.
Honestly though, some of these mysteries are fascinating and will probably never be solved and you know what...I like it that way...nothing better than a good mystery.
Eric

Apr 02, 2012 at 02:03 AM
Ed Robertson
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Peru- #9 on to Sexy Woman

I would love to see this place. Ed

Apr 02, 2012 at 05:46 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Peru- #9 on to Sexy Woman

Thanks Tim, Eric and Ed.
(A special thanks to Ed for bumping all these Peru posts- I feel guilty when I bump them more than once or twice.)
Eric- the woman was trying to sell me half a plate (or else it was a whole plate that I cut off when I took the pic ). And at the risk of muddying the already murky waters of your mind's understandings of the real world: Eric, there IS no Loch Ness monster. Seriously- the lake is only about 10,000 years old, The last dinosaurs died out about 65,000,000 years ago. But don't cry, Eric; there is no Bigfoot either (and I don't care WHAT Bubba thought he saw last Saturday night) .
Your ever-lovin' friend- Charlie

Apr 02, 2012 at 06:50 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password