Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · A question for the tinkerers out there (filter related)

tsdevine
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A question for the tinkerers out there (filter related)

So I will soon have a lens that will vignette with two filters stacked, most likely even with the thinnest filters available. I do waterfall photography and use a polarizer and ND in combination most of the time. The polarizer takes the glare off the water, rocks, foliage, etc but I usually need and .6 ND to get me to shutter speed and aperture I want.

So the question I have is whether anyone knows if you disassemble a ND filter, whether the threads in the ring that holds the glass are the same as you'd find on the front of the polarizer. I'm thinking of removing the glass from the ND filter and threading it directly into the front of the polarizer. It "looks" like it's the right diameter, but I don't know if the threads are different. That should take me from about 8mm down to 5mm and I don't believe I'll have any vignetting.

I don't have the lens in hand yet, so it's possible when I stack them and stop down to f/11 that the vignetting will disappear, but I'm somewhat doubtful.

Anyone ever do anything like this?

-Tim

Apr 01, 2012 at 01:17 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A question for the tinkerers out there (filter related)

I can't answer your particular question but I will mention that you can buy 3"x3" (75mm) and 4"x4" (100mm) Kodak Wratten ND gel filters, which are simple, thin sheets that you can cut into a circle and fit between the CP and front element. Do a search for "wratten nd" on the auction site, and you'll see what I mean.

Apr 01, 2012 at 01:47 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A question for the tinkerers out there (filter related)

just go all out and glue the ND to the PL.

http://www.optical-cement.com/cements/products.html

Apr 01, 2012 at 02:09 PM
tsdevine
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A question for the tinkerers out there (filter related)

Thanks Jim, I hadn't though of that. How are the wratten filters optically, are they comparable to glass?

jcolwell wrote:
I can't answer your particular question but I will mention that you can buy 3"x3" (75mm) and 4"x4" (100mm) Kodak Wratten ND gel filters, which are simple, thin sheets that you can cut into a circle and fit between the CP and front element. Do a search for "wratten nd" on the auction site, and you'll see what I mean.

Apr 01, 2012 at 02:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

tsdevine
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A question for the tinkerers out there (filter related)

I had thought of possible gluing the edges to the ring....I assume this does glass to glass? That seems pretty extreme...but doable I guess.

howardm4 wrote:
just go all out and glue the ND to the PL.

http://www.optical-cement.com/cements/products.html

Apr 01, 2012 at 02:27 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A question for the tinkerers out there (filter related)

tsdevine wrote:
Thanks Jim, I hadn't though of that. How are the wratten filters optically, are they comparable to glass?

Gel filters are used in some of the finest lenses in the world. That's what 'rear gel filter holders' and 'drop-in gel filter holders' are for. Handle them carefully with the thin paper liner that protects them in the big envelope, to keep them clean and unblemished, and you're good to go.

Apr 01, 2012 at 03:31 PM
tsdevine
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A question for the tinkerers out there (filter related)

That definitely seems like a workable solution, thanks!

-Tim

Apr 01, 2012 at 04:28 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password