Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Storage and security

JayCeePhotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Storage and security

Next year, I'm heading off to college at UCLA. I plan on living in the dorms and wish to take some, if not all my camera equipment with me. I want to know a safe and affordable solution to keep my equipment safe from thiefs, i.e. my roommates or their friends. I just want to take a precaution on this because camera equipment isn't cheap.

I'm more so looking at getting a hardcase with an expensive lock, but please tell me if you have some solution for my problem, besides going on the line "just trust your roommates".

Apr 01, 2012 at 12:47 PM
Patphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Storage and security

I would suggest a couple of pelican cases, some strong padlocks, and a chain to secure them to a strong anchor point in the wall or around a fixed appliance that can't be moved/cut to let the chain loose.

Apr 01, 2012 at 01:04 PM
asamimasa
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Storage and security

Also agree with pelicans. I go to UCSD and now live off campus, but both on and off campus, the people I lived with have had numerous friends I have never met over, and through facebook and whatnot, many people know that the folks I live with have a photographer in the household. I've got a Pelican 1614 holding all of my camera gear and lights, and it's tied down to some furniture. Never had any problem.

Apr 01, 2012 at 02:10 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Storage and security

third for the Pelican. depending on the case up to 4 locks and you can teather it via the handle to a hardpoint.

Apr 01, 2012 at 02:16 PM
JayCeePhotog
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Storage and security

Any suggestion for locks? I want to get the ones with like 4 digit combos or something, but wanting to know if there is something better.

Apr 01, 2012 at 06:01 PM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Storage and security

4 digit combo locks are fine. The holes in the Pelican fit standard size padlocks. Depending on what you are tethering with, a chain or cable may be able to go through the handle and in addition be locked in to each of the padlocks on the front. It looks kind of bad, but should slow down and likely completely stop all but the most serious bad guys. I do not use that set up at home, but have used it in the back of my SUV when I need to leave things there, obviously also hidden from view.

Edited on Apr 01, 2012 at 06:31 PM · View previous versions

Apr 01, 2012 at 06:30 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Storage and security

JayCeePhotog wrote:
Any suggestion for locks? I want to get the ones with like 4 digit combos or something, but wanting to know if there is something better.

If someone has the time, they can just go through combinations. There are only 9999 possible combinations. Another problem is where to anchor it? Exposed water pipes are a rarity anymore, and so are radiators. If your bed has a box spring, you could run a cable through several springs. Spring steel is specially hardened and extremely difficult to cut.

Apr 01, 2012 at 06:30 PM
JayCeePhotog
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Storage and security

runamuck wrote:
If someone has the time, they can just go through combinations. There are only 9999 possible combinations. Another problem is where to anchor it? Exposed water pipes are a rarity anymore, and so are radiators. If your bed has a box spring, you could run a cable through several springs. Spring steel is specially hardened and extremely difficult to cut.

Hmm. I don't think my room will have any of that stuff. Man, all of this just for peace of mind at UCLA..fun. If you look up UCLA Residential suites on youtube, you can see the dorm that I want to stay in. Essentially, all the dorms are like that.

Apr 01, 2012 at 06:39 PM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Storage and security

Two locks and using different combinations on each will make it not at all practical to try combinations. Three or four hours on each lock is way more than anyone would bother trying. Finding an anchor point may be difficult, but you do not have much choice but to try. I only know what a dorm room looks like from 40 years ago and 1000 miles away, so I am not much help with that side of things.

Apr 01, 2012 at 07:11 PM
AVService
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Storage and security

I would also get both a chain and a cable to secure the box.
Both can be cut easily with the right tool but the odds are less that someone will bring both with them I think.

Oh and Pelican for sure!

Ed

Apr 01, 2012 at 07:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Storage and security

I guess you could weave a cable through several of the steps on the the bunk bed ladder. Trying to steal anything would probably make enough strange noises somebody would investigate.

Apr 01, 2012 at 07:35 PM
KaaX
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Storage and security

4-digit locks are useless. A bit of googling will show to anyone interested how to open one very very quickly. Same with many bicycle locks.

Apr 02, 2012 at 02:45 AM
JayCeePhotog
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Storage and security

Well bike locks are improving a lot and I was considering that too. Post a link to a lock that you would use.

Weaving through the ladder sounds good, I'm sure I can find something to weave it through.

Apr 02, 2012 at 08:49 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Storage and security

KaaX wrote:
4-digit locks are useless. A bit of googling will show to anyone interested how to open one very very quickly. Same with many bicycle locks.

It's not like every 4 digit lock and every bicycle lock is useless.

So what locks do you recommend for a Pelican then

Apr 02, 2012 at 08:54 AM
JayCeePhotog
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Storage and security

Lars Johnsson wrote:
It's not like every 4 digit lock and every bicycle lock is useless.

So what locks do you recommend for a Pelican then

Yeah I'd seriously love to know. Hopefully they aren't like $100 locks...ha.

Apr 02, 2012 at 10:23 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Storage and security

Pelican cases are plastic and could be cut by a power saw, if I'm not mistaken. Their claim to fame is that they are water-tight (not an issue here) and protective when thrown around (not an issue here).

Apr 02, 2012 at 10:32 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Storage and security

Monito wrote:
Pelican cases are plastic and could be cut by a power saw, if I'm not mistaken. Their claim to fame is that they are water-tight (not an issue here) and protective when thrown around (not an issue here).

Then he need a safe instead

It's more difficult and take longer time to open a Pelican case than breaking into a car

Apr 02, 2012 at 10:42 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Storage and security

Lars Johnsson wrote:
It's more difficult and take longer time to open a Pelican case than breaking into a car

More difficult yes, since cutting off the hinges takes a tool compared to smashing a window with a rock. Longer? Not by much.

Perhaps one could use bolt cutters to cut off the hinges silently.

Apr 02, 2012 at 10:45 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Storage and security

Monito wrote:
More difficult yes, since cutting off the hinges takes a tool compared to smashing a window with a rock. Longer? Not by much.

Perhaps one could use bolt cutters to cut off the hinges silently.

So you recommend a safe instead or what? You can cut or brake into anything. What's your recommendation then?

Apr 02, 2012 at 10:48 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Storage and security

Lars Johnsson wrote:
So you recommend a safe instead or what? You can cut or brake into anything. What's your recommendation then?

Insurance.

With some basic locked protection like a decent bicycle lock, perhaps even a Pelican case for its convenience and utility in other situations. You can discreetly drill or cut a hole in the back of bedframe or desk or built-in wardrobe or other substantial furniture in the room without telling anyone.

Apr 02, 2012 at 10:50 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password