Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · What better to shoot on a rainy muggy morning then..........

sevan pulurian
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · What better to shoot on a rainy muggy morning then.....................

Flora!

We were having a backyard sale this morning till the rain decided to swing on by for a few then leave, once the rain left the water droplet made me take the photos, I swear! Some of my best flora shots yet, I think, let me know what you guys think about them.

All shot with the 5DII 100mm f2,8 Macro and my d.i.y. motley pixel ring flash ($25.00 to build) hand held. No extension tubes used.

All shot on their bushes, with the iso down low and the f stop cranked up I was able to get the BG's pretty dark, just had to drop the blacks in LR4 and it got rid of the rest.

Sevan

PS for those that have no clue on my setup here are three images of the ghetto Macro setup I have made. Yes the major down fall is the lack of access to the focus ring, but I have a fix for that, gonna clamp a aluminum bar to the focus ring with a worm clamp and run it out to the front of the ring flash should clear the view of the lens and give me manual focus control. Can even run this flash setup with my 70-200 f2.8L
IS as well.

Edited on Apr 01, 2012 at 02:18 AM · View previous versions

Apr 01, 2012 at 02:14 AM
grebe
• • •
p.1 #2 · What better to shoot on a rainy muggy morning then.....................

Very nicely done on all accounts.

tom

Apr 01, 2012 at 02:16 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · What better to shoot on a rainy muggy morning then.....................

Ummm that is one cool ringlight Sevan! You are the fancy floral guy

Your results are outstanding buddy, the colors and sharpness are simply stunning! I get a different feel when I see florals against totally black BG's, gives me more a 'studio' feel to what I see but these are really outstanding images and #1 is very artistic as is the last one.

#1 is my #1 pick for color, detail and a nice frame filling comp with some neat energy from the 'pinwheel' like look to the petals.
#2 is rocks solid on form and color, for me a little less on top but...........saweeeet!
I really liked #4 until I fell for #5!

Great job Sevan, really wonderful work buddy!
Karl

Oh, and I knew the answer to your title question quite quickly

Apr 01, 2012 at 02:22 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · What better to shoot on a rainy muggy morning then.....................

What amazing shots Sevan. There's not a predatory beast in sight and you knocked each and every one out of the park. What a cool set up...I thought you had a combo camera/megaphone...nice rig!
I really love to see the ingenuity you guys have to accomplish what you need to.
Eric

Apr 01, 2012 at 02:42 AM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · What better to shoot on a rainy muggy morning then.....................

Super sick ass shots dude!!!!!!!! That last one really blew me away.

Apr 01, 2012 at 02:57 AM
Gary Lee 44
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · What better to shoot on a rainy muggy morning then.....................

Sevan,
Man you are a Wild Man! What a great set up and amazing shots. CIRGAR FOR THE MAN!
Gary

Apr 01, 2012 at 03:09 AM
tfoltz
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · What better to shoot on a rainy muggy morning then.....................

Great set up Sevan, you weren't kidding the ring flash is quite the homemade miracle worker

Apr 01, 2012 at 04:02 AM
Major_K
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · What better to shoot on a rainy muggy morning then.....................

You had me Sevan. Thought that these were shot in studio ... Very nice setup and captures man!

Khai

Apr 01, 2012 at 07:39 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · What better to shoot on a rainy muggy morning then.....................

you've gotten some lovely shots Sevan... great job on the flash ring

Apr 01, 2012 at 08:09 AM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · What better to shoot on a rainy muggy morning then.....................

Awesome detail in the close-ups Sevan, great work.
David

Apr 01, 2012 at 09:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · What better to shoot on a rainy muggy morning then.....................

Geez Sevan. Each and every one of these is great. The techs all all super, but the vibrance puts these over the top ~ Ron

Apr 01, 2012 at 02:00 PM
sevan pulurian
• • • •
p.1 #12 · What better to shoot on a rainy muggy morning then.....................

grebe wrote:
Very nicely done on all accounts.

tom

Thank you Tom.

Apr 01, 2012 at 03:36 PM
sevan pulurian
• • • •
p.1 #13 · What better to shoot on a rainy muggy morning then.....................

Karl Witt wrote:
Ummm that is one cool ringlight Sevan! You are the fancy floral guy

Your results are outstanding buddy, the colors and sharpness are simply stunning! I get a different feel when I see florals against totally black BG's, gives me more a 'studio' feel to what I see but these are really outstanding images and #1 is very artistic as is the last one.

#1 is my #1 pick for color, detail and a nice frame filling comp with some neat energy from the 'pinwheel' like look to the petals.
#2 is rocks solid on form and color, for me a little
...Show more

Thanks Karl, Shooting at f22 at a low ISO with flash makes the world of difference if there is enough room behind the flower so that the flash doesn't light it up is key I think. Also ambient light at a minimum would hurt as well. Glad you liked them, there were like studio shot but not.

Apr 01, 2012 at 03:39 PM
sevan pulurian
• • • •
p.1 #14 · What better to shoot on a rainy muggy morning then.....................

eyelaser wrote:
What amazing shots Sevan. There's not a predatory beast in sight and you knocked each and every one out of the park. What a cool set up...I thought you had a combo camera/megaphone...nice rig!
I really love to see the ingenuity you guys have to accomplish what you need to.
Eric

Thanks Eric. I saw this on line and was like get out, I am not going to spend $400.00 on a ring flash when I already have a 580EX II, the only downfall with this rig is the sheer size, you imagine walking around in public with this gnarly thing hanging around your neck? I just might do it on my next trip to the LA Arboretum.

Apr 01, 2012 at 03:41 PM
sevan pulurian
• • • •
p.1 #15 · What better to shoot on a rainy muggy morning then.....................

Conrad Tan wrote:
Super sick ass shots dude!!!!!!!! That last one really blew me away.

Thanks Buddy, it was kind of fun to shoot I have to say, all though birds are more fun, still have your macro?

Apr 01, 2012 at 03:43 PM
sevan pulurian
• • • •
p.1 #16 · What better to shoot on a rainy muggy morning then.....................

Gary Lee 44 wrote:
Sevan,
Man you are a Wild Man! What a great set up and amazing shots. CIRGAR FOR THE MAN!
Gary

Thanks Gary

Apr 01, 2012 at 03:43 PM
sevan pulurian
• • • •
p.1 #17 · What better to shoot on a rainy muggy morning then.....................

tfoltz wrote:
Great set up Sevan, you weren't kidding the ring flash is quite the homemade miracle worker

, yeah that thing is fuggly looking but man does it work! The inside is lined with aluminum tape, the stuff they use for air conditioning duct, light bounces all through out the inside of that thing.

built from:
1x 10.5" aluminum shop light from HomeDepot
1x 4" to 5" transition coupler for home air conditioning
1x JB weld pack
1x Roll Aluminum tape
1x pack of really thin cutting board material
1x aluminum strap 1" wide by 1/8' thick
1x flat black spray paint

who would of thought a ring flash would of come from all that stuff.

Edited on Apr 01, 2012 at 04:11 PM · View previous versions

Apr 01, 2012 at 03:48 PM
sevan pulurian
• • • •
p.1 #18 · What better to shoot on a rainy muggy morning then.....................

Major_K wrote:
You had me Sevan. Thought that these were shot in studio ... Very nice setup and captures man!

Khai

Thanks Khai, nope no studio shooting of flora here buddy. Here are the original raws straight to jpeg.

look closely and you can see the wooden fence in the BG of #2, full exif intact

Apr 01, 2012 at 03:50 PM
sevan pulurian
• • • •
p.1 #19 · What better to shoot on a rainy muggy morning then.....................

kmunroe wrote:
you've gotten some lovely shots Sevan... great job on the flash ring

Thanks K

Apr 01, 2012 at 03:50 PM
sevan pulurian
• • • •
p.1 #20 · What better to shoot on a rainy muggy morning then.....................

David Leask wrote:
Awesome detail in the close-ups Sevan, great work.
David

Thanks David

Apr 01, 2012 at 03:51 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password