Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Suggestions for stands & umbrellas or softboxes...

bigkidneys
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Suggestions for stands & umbrellas or softboxes...

Ok. Once again I finally decided to dip my feet into the lighting arena. I have a 5D2 with plenty of lenses to choose from and want a one or two light off camera system that is portable to take wherever I want to shoot outdoors. Because I just watched the One Light DVD and think I can master this somehow, I decided to play it safe and buy flashes and triggers that are ETTLII compatible until I am up and running and can go manual when I want. That being said, I think I am going to get a Yungnuo 565ex flash and the Pixel King wireless ETTLII triggers. Rather than getting a 580EXII and PWs I figured save some money and go this route in case I don't use them much. I am not a professional and am just wanting to learn this aspect of photography and plan on doing this on my daughters and friends. I figured $350 for the transmitters and flash. Now, I need a stand setup and was hoping someone here can recommend a good cheap yet sturdy one to start with. Would rather not pay more than $200 for something. Anyone got any recommendations? Thanks for your time.

Jason

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:46 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Suggestions for stands & umbrellas or softboxes...

I have several light stands that range in price from less than $50 to a bit more than $150. For anything less than huge lightbanks in a studio, one doesn't usually need more than that.

Since you mentioned $200 as a doable limit, I'd suggest a convertible stand than can function as either an upright light stand or a boom stand. That will give you the flexibility to use your light in various functions.

The one I have (pictured at the right in the image below) sells for $149 at B&H. Here's a link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546705-REG/Manfrotto_420B_420B_Combi_Boom_Stand.html

And here's some of my gear:

Mar 31, 2012 at 01:24 AM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #3 · Suggestions for stands & umbrellas or softboxes...

I will second the Manfrotto Combi boom stand, the only caveats would be minimum height and no air cushioning. Otherwise, for a single stand, it offers much more flexibility than a regular stand.

Brian A

Mar 31, 2012 at 02:21 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Suggestions for stands & umbrellas or softboxes...

hugowolf wrote:
...the only caveats would be ...no air cushioning.

The other stand in my photo is air cushioned, and I was caught by surprise the first time I went to lower the Manfrotto and forgot that it wasn't. No harm done to me or my gear, but it was embarrassing.

Mar 31, 2012 at 02:29 AM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Suggestions for stands & umbrellas or softboxes...

I decided air-cushion gives a false sense of security (unless you can convert the world). I grasp the light firmly with every change of altitude as a matter of strict routine. Similarly for my sole a/c stand except it fights me on the way up and down.

Mar 31, 2012 at 07:00 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password