Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · SanDisk ULTRA CF Card Failure

Brian Hilbun
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SanDisk ULTRA CF Card Failure

Hello FM Family, I was wondering if any of you have any experience with the SanDisk Ultra series of CF cards. I have 2 2 gb SanDisk Ultra Cards and one of them failed to register in a couple of my dslrs. I thought it was bad and was going to toss it but came upon the suggestion of formatting it through my computer (which I subsequently did) and it appears that it took to the formatting and appears usable and so I have subsequently shot a couple of test shots with the card and it appears now to be working fine. Do you have any suggestion(s) as to why this might of have happened? Could I have done something to have caused its initial failure? I haven't used this card a lot, could that be part of the problem? Should I trust this card? I don't feel comfortable using this card for like a wedding but I guess I'll keep it for product shots etc. Anyway, thanks for all your help, ya'll are a great bunch of folks! Happy Shooting!

Mar 30, 2012 at 07:02 PM
KaaX
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SanDisk ULTRA CF Card Failure

2Gb CF cards are dirt cheap now. I'd toss it, it's not worth the bother.

Mar 30, 2012 at 07:49 PM
Nikons4Me

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SanDisk ULTRA CF Card Failure

Check this report by eBay. There are a lot of fake cards being sold on eBay
http://reviews.ebay.com.au/FAKE-SanDisk-Ultra-Secure-Digital-Cards-Exposed_W0QQugidZ10000000001254852
Here is another one
http://reviews.ebay.com.au/FAKE-SanDisk-Ultra-Compact-Flash-Cards-Exposed_W0QQugidZ10000000000792498
Many times the fake cards will fail. You may have one of these cards.
Ed

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:33 PM
Brian Hilbun
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SanDisk ULTRA CF Card Failure

Thanks Ed! I purchased this set of cards I believe from Adorama but maybe a fake one got in the mix, I will check it out! Again, thanks for the heads up!

Mar 31, 2012 at 02:48 AM
Brian Hilbun
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SanDisk ULTRA CF Card Failure

Yes KaaX, you have a point! Can't replace memories with a corrupted card. How long do you normally keep cards for? A year? How often do you switch out?

Mar 31, 2012 at 02:54 AM
KaaX
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · SanDisk ULTRA CF Card Failure

Brian Hilbun wrote:
Yes KaaX, you have a point! Can't replace memories with a corrupted card. How long do you normally keep cards for? A year? How often do you switch out?

CF cards are flash memory which is solid-state electronics, no moving parts. Technically, it's capable of wearing out (there's a limit on writes for a given memory cell) but that's many many years of shooting.

I don't keep CF cards for a fixed period of time but I toss them at the *first* sign of trouble which usually is a corrupted image.

Mar 31, 2012 at 03:05 AM
Brian Hilbun
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · SanDisk ULTRA CF Card Failure

Have you ever had to use the software programs that come with the CF cards to recover images? As you mentioned, with the price of memory so low these days, it's best to probably get another card. Also, what is your strategy as far as size goes? Isn't it better to have several 4 gb cards vs 1 8 gb card? What are your thoughts on that and what brand CF card do you prefer?

Mar 31, 2012 at 03:07 AM
KaaX
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · SanDisk ULTRA CF Card Failure

Yes, I think once I had to recover images from an iffy CF card. I recovered what I could and trashed the card after that.

As to size I like a happy medium between a huge card (and if it dies on you, you're toast) and many small cards (which can get lost). I shoot with 8Gb cards on a 5D2, each card gives me around 250 images.

Brands, I always used SanDisk. My understanding is that SanDisk and Lexar have the best reputation.

Mar 31, 2012 at 03:21 AM
lukeb
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · SanDisk ULTRA CF Card Failure

KaaX wrote:
Brands, I always used SanDisk. My understanding is that SanDisk and Lexar have the best reputation.

+1

I have about a dozen SanDisk from 2008 on when I switched to them, 1GB to 32 and have never had a failure.

Mar 31, 2012 at 03:24 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Brian Hilbun
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · SanDisk ULTRA CF Card Failure

Thanks for the response, the photographer that I work with really likes the Lexar brand of cards but I have both kinds. So good to know that on the whole the SanDisk are pretty reliable. 8 gb seems to be a happy medium for me as well. Thanks for the insight.

Mar 31, 2012 at 03:43 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · SanDisk ULTRA CF Card Failure

2 questions:
1- was it purchased from a reliable source (not ebay)?
2- do you still have proof of retail purchase (receipt)?*

*if you got it from Adorama you can recall/download the receipt from the website of your purchase history.

if yes to both contact and return to sandisk for replacement. what will it really cost you to do so?

i have had to replace on SD card from them due to mechanical failure.

Mar 31, 2012 at 01:39 PM
Brian Hilbun
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · SanDisk ULTRA CF Card Failure

Thanks sjms, I will log into my Adorama account. Just trying to feel out what brand of cf card other photographers prefer and experiences with CF card malfunction other photographers have had. Not a fun feeling. Thanks for responding!

Mar 31, 2012 at 02:11 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · SanDisk ULTRA CF Card Failure

i use Lexar Pro 600x and Sandisk Extreme Pro 600x with the occasional smattering of Transcend 600x

Mar 31, 2012 at 02:38 PM
Brian Hilbun
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · SanDisk ULTRA CF Card Failure

So sjms the Lexar Pro 600x and Sandisk Pro 600x are udma capable? Have you noticed an advantage in your write times over slower rated cards? I know for RAW shooters higher write speeds are of benefit. Just curious. Thanks!

Mar 31, 2012 at 04:00 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · SanDisk ULTRA CF Card Failure

all the above mentioned are minimum UDMA 6. i used these for my D3 and D700 and now on my D4. they actually knock seconds off the full buffer dump time especially on the D3 i had w/buffer upgrade and now the D4. the XQD card on the D4 though does tend to shorten that time a little more. i use that card as a primary RAW card and the CF as the jpg card. reads on a card reader (lexar pro USB3 updated to UDMA 7)are quite fast too. yes there is a difference between these and the 400x models. look at the tech specs on the 400x cards and the various sizes. some have some interesting variations in throughput.

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:13 PM
Brian Hilbun
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · SanDisk ULTRA CF Card Failure

Thanks sjms for the heads up. Just an aside, when shooting, do you shoot both jpeg and RAW, I know like for a wedding I like to shoot both for the main shots like the church events, etc and then at the reception shoot mainly large jpegs. I see that the D4 has the dual card capability, what do you do with the D700? Do you notice a difference in the way you shoot as far as write times and missing critical shots? Thanks!

Apr 01, 2012 at 12:47 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · SanDisk ULTRA CF Card Failure

it all depends on the job requirement. i have done it all. oh, but i don't do weddings. events i do are less predictable at times. i have been shooting for quite a while so even though unpredictable you can read a situation. like any other weapon you take short accurate bursts. the D700 passes info pretty quick so i tend to have buffer left. but in reality it didn't hold up against a D3 w/BU and won't hold up to a D3s or D4. knowing that is making use of technique and limitations. the D700 has always been the backup to then my D3 and now D4. i have been moving my D7000 lately in the second fiddle position.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_wb_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-12454

Edited on Apr 05, 2012 at 04:07 AM · View previous versions

Apr 01, 2012 at 02:22 AM
mark1958
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · SanDisk ULTRA CF Card Failure

My Sandisk 16gb EXTREME card started giving me problems. I sent it in and they replaced it.

Apr 01, 2012 at 05:02 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password