Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Lady Cooper's Hawk

normsmith
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Lady Cooper's Hawk

This is a year around resident of Tucson as are many Cooper's hawks. This female is a frequent visitor to my water feature in my front yard. She comes to drink and bathe (in the same water, how ladylike is that?). Her schedule varies but is often mid day, when it's hot.

normsmith 2012

Canon EOS 50D    EF70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM lens    176mm    f/16.0    1/250s    200 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Canon EOS 50D    EF70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM lens    236mm    f/16.0    1/250s    200 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Canon EOS 50D    EF70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM lens    236mm    f/16.0    1/320s    200 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Mar 30, 2012 at 04:28 PM
hchristensen

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Lady Cooper's Hawk

Nice capture, Norm. Have you looked up her banding info? On my monitor, it looks like you might have pushed the blacks a little far in PP (especially the first photo). Also, photos 1 and 2 would've worked better with a larger aperture (f/16 is going to bring in all the background detail, which detracts from your great subject).

In PP you can always mask out the bird and perform a Gaussian blur on the background (but that's cheating!! ) Anyway, looks like you have a pretty sweet front yard!

Hank

Mar 30, 2012 at 06:23 PM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Lady Cooper's Hawk

Awwwwwwwesome

Mar 30, 2012 at 06:28 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Lady Cooper's Hawk

Well seen and captured Norm, good job.
David

Mar 30, 2012 at 06:41 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Lady Cooper's Hawk

Fantastic captures Norm!

Ted

Mar 30, 2012 at 06:42 PM
dwerther
• • •
p.1 #6 · Lady Cooper's Hawk

Uhhhh, is it just me or did some nearsighted Ornithologist band the left leg with the word "OWL"?

Mar 30, 2012 at 06:43 PM
normsmith
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Lady Cooper's Hawk

hchristensen wrote:
Nice capture, Norm. Have you looked up her banding info? On my monitor, it looks like you might have pushed the blacks a little far in PP (especially the first photo). Also, photos 1 and 2 would've worked better with a larger aperture (f/16 is going to bring in all the background detail, which detracts from your great subject).

In PP you can always mask out the bird and perform a Gaussian blur on the background (but that's cheating!! ) Anyway, looks like you have a pretty sweet front yard!

Hank

Thanks Hank for your suggestions. I'm not sure what you mean by "pushed the blacks." The only thing I did was lighten shadows by about 25% in Photoshop Elements 10. The light was very harsh at midday. As to blurring the background, I know I'm in the minority but as a biologist I like to portray my subjects as I see them. When I look at an animal, the background isn't blurry, that's what the camera sees. That said, I'm not a purist to this doctrine because I will clone out a distracting limb that gets in the way.

The biologist who banded the bird is a very close friend of mine and I know her history. She is pretty mellow for a Cooper's hawk.Once in the past, I blundered out the front door, which is about 20 feet from where she is in the last photo, and walked away from her and she didn't fly. The male on the other hand is very skittish.

Thanks again for you suggestions.
Norm

Edited on Mar 30, 2012 at 07:31 PM · View previous versions

Mar 30, 2012 at 07:23 PM
tfoltz
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Lady Cooper's Hawk

That's what I call a "welcome" visitor

Mar 30, 2012 at 07:25 PM
normsmith
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Lady Cooper's Hawk

Conrad Tan wrote:
Awwwwwwwesome

Conrad, Thaaaaaaank you! Glad you like it.
Norm

Mar 30, 2012 at 07:36 PM
normsmith
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Lady Cooper's Hawk

David Leask wrote:
Well seen and captured Norm, good job.
David

Thanks David, I appreciate you looking and commenting.
Norm

Mar 30, 2012 at 07:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

normsmith
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Lady Cooper's Hawk

Ted ellis wrote:
Fantastic captures Norm!

Ted

Thanks Ted, I've been trying to get some in flight shots of her, but about all I've been able to get are blurry butt shots.

Norm

Mar 30, 2012 at 07:39 PM
normsmith
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Lady Cooper's Hawk

dwerther wrote:
Uhhhh, is it just me or did some nearsighted Ornithologist band the left leg with the word "OWL"?

I've forgotten what the third letter is, but it's not L.
Norm

Mar 30, 2012 at 07:41 PM
normsmith
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Lady Cooper's Hawk

tfoltz wrote:
That's what I call a "welcome" visitor

Tim. I agree 100%.
Norm

Mar 30, 2012 at 07:42 PM
hk_mtbr
• • •
p.1 #14 · Lady Cooper's Hawk

Wow! Nice close ups. What were you shooting? Edit: I see your meta data now...:-)

I got some decent shots of a Cooper's yesterday but so close. Maybe I'll post as they are in flight, just nothing like these. nice job!

JQ

Edited on Mar 30, 2012 at 07:57 PM · View previous versions

Mar 30, 2012 at 07:56 PM
mike717
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Lady Cooper's Hawk

Gorgeous lady Norm! Third one is my pic, lucky you to have her visit frequently.

Mike

Mar 30, 2012 at 07:57 PM
normsmith
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Lady Cooper's Hawk

hk_mtbr wrote:
Wow! Nice close ups. What were you shooting? Edit: I see your meta data now...:-)

I got some decent shots of a Cooper's yesterday but so close. Maybe I'll post as they are in flight, just nothing like these. nice job!

JQ

Thanks Joel, I use a couple of 7D Canons and a 50D as on this one. The lens is a Canon 70-300 4-5.6 L IS. It is ideal for the setup I have. That last shot was exactly 20 feet from my kitchen window.
The window slides open very quietly (by design). When I see birds I want to photograph I can open the window silently and by making no sudden moves take the photos. The shutter noise doesn't usually bother them. About the only time I rattle off a rapid series of shots it is when they are flying anyway.

I'd like to see your inflight photos. Go on and post them.
Norm

Mar 30, 2012 at 09:18 PM
normsmith
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Lady Cooper's Hawk

mike717 wrote:
Gorgeous lady Norm! Third one is my pic, lucky you to have her visit frequently.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I still haven't located her nest.
Last year I had a mellow pair of nesting Cooper's hawks at a friends house. All was fine until Great horned owls killed the female. Now I'm waiting for their owlets to hatch and start branching.
Norm

Mar 30, 2012 at 09:21 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Lady Cooper's Hawk

all are very nice Norm

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:01 PM
Denis Sweetman
• •
p.1 #19 · Lady Cooper's Hawk

Great set of this cool hawk Norm
Very well photographed in the harsh light.

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:14 PM
redmule
• •
p.1 #20 · Lady Cooper's Hawk

Awesome Norm! I wonder if she left a present for your Lignified Monster
Kevin

Edited on Mar 30, 2012 at 11:02 PM · View previous versions

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:24 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end