Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Nikon SB900 issue on D700 please help!

charlandk
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon SB900 issue on D700 please help!

Hi all,
I have a D7000 with 3 SB900's. I have a friend who shoots with a D700 and never uses flash. She mainly shoots sports. She was just offered a job with a local new paper to shoot sports but also other areas of interest where flash may be necessary. I met with her last night to loan her a speedlight and give her a quick tutorial on how to use it.

For some reason, when she tried to take a shot with her D700, it would make the flash fire 3 times very rapildy and then it appeared to lock her shutter open and take a second or two to complete the shot. I thought it may be the flash so I swapped her with the one on my D7000 that was working perfectly and it did the same thing again on her camera but worked fine on mine.

We compared how the cameras were set up in the flash menu and they look identical. I checked to see is she was in mirror up mode and she was not. Both cameras and flash units were set in ttl. I am not a pro and I can not figure out why this would be happening. Has anyone experienced anything like this or know why it would be happening? I even took the flash off her camera and set up a couple speed lights using pocket wizzard mini and flex system. When we tried this, it fired the speedlights when she pressed her trigger. They fired once but again seemed to lock her shutter open for much longer than it should have been. She was set at f/1.8 (nikon 85mm f1.8 lens) 1/160th and auto iso.

Thanks for your input,
Kevin

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:21 PM
Mr Kris
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon SB900 issue on D700 please help!

Is red eye reduction on perhaps? This is a function set on the camera bodies, and not the flash.

Mar 29, 2012 at 01:13 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon SB900 issue on D700 please help!

Three visible-to-the-eye pre-flashes sounds like red-eye reduction to me. What you're describing -- especially if it was consistent behavior -- doesn't sound like malfunction. So if the flashes had identical settings, check the flash settings in the cameras.

Mar 29, 2012 at 08:25 PM
charlandk
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon SB900 issue on D700 please help!

thanks guys

Mar 29, 2012 at 08:27 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon SB900 issue on D700 please help!

Or it could be TTL mode and aperture priority thus slowing the shutter down to balance ambient. Check the setting on the flash and in the cameras menu.

Mar 30, 2012 at 06:42 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password