Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6      
       end

Archive 2012 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

zlatko
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #1 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

mtavel wrote:
Problem (low light): In low light, the AF point is not visible. It is displayed as a dark square outline in the viewfinder, but in a fairly dark scene, it is impossible to detect. It does not illuminate until it achieves focus on something, and you don't know where on the subject to aim the focus point because you can't see it!
I would appreciate any other 5D3 owner's feedback and recommendations for workarounds.

Press the AF point display button with your thumb at any time to light up the AF points. This is the button to the right of the AE Lock (asterisk) button.

Jan 03, 2013 at 03:17 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #2 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

Sage wrote:
...then take the camera outside and point it at anything bright, and the red turns to black

OK, and what should it be best according to you? You can see it clearly, right? I always use the AF back button and the AI-S mode some 90% of the time, even for stationary targets. As long as I put the AF point on the spot I want to be in focus, and fire away using the shutter button and the AF system of that camera has not failed me. If I am outside the MFD of the lens or too close to the focus target, in other words, I could see the green button blink and I move a little further away until it changes to the "two-triangle" display. I don't know the name of that display, sorry .

Jan 03, 2013 at 04:31 PM
Sage

p.7 #3 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

I can't see the red box outdoors, that's my point. It is much clearer on my 5d classic and my 1dmk2, and the d800 and d3s.

Canon has really buggered this up, and I don't really want to take my eye off the focus point to look down at the green circle, that's what the iluminating box is for!

Jan 03, 2013 at 04:47 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.7 #4 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

Leaving aside the 5D3 viewfinder stuff if you haven't looked at Dmitri's website its well worth the visit.

Jan 03, 2013 at 05:03 PM
artsupreme
• • •
p.7 #5 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

Sage wrote:
I can't see the red box outdoors, that's my point. It is much clearer on my 5d classic and my 1dmk2, and the d800 and d3s.

Canon has really buggered this up, and I don't really want to take my eye off the focus point to look down at the green circle, that's what the iluminating box is for!

It's definitely an epic fail, especially since they were trying to charge $3500 for it which was even a worse epic fail for Canon...maybe they will get it right on the 5D4?

Jan 03, 2013 at 05:07 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.7 #6 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

Sage wrote:

Maybe you missed the really long thread about this posted by pompo at roughly the same time when this thread was posted. I don't want to revisit this issue. You can do the search yourself if you feel like it.

Seriously, I am not paying attention to whether the AF point is lit or not anymore. I know for sure that if I put the AF point on my target, it will be in focus. It is really that good and reliable. Or you can turn the audible beep on or just rely on the excellent AF system. Again, use the AF back button in the AI-S mode.

There are certain things that can be improved upon in the upcoming firmware but there are hardware aspects that either you find the best way to get the most out of it or you buy another camera or even switch brand if it doesn't suit your need. Sorry to be blunt .

Jan 03, 2013 at 05:12 PM
ZWhitford

p.7 #7 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

AGeoJO wrote:
Maybe you missed the really long thread about this posted by pompo at roughly the same time when this thread was posted. I don't want to revisit this issue. You can do the search yourself if you feel like it.

Seriously, I am not paying attention to whether the AF point is lit or not anymore. I know for sure that if I put the AF point on my target, it will be in focus. It is really that good and reliable. Or you can turn the audible beep on or just rely on the excellent AF system. Again, use
...Show more

This.

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sage

p.7 #8 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

?this what?

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:40 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.7 #9 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

Sage wrote:
?this what?

Essentially he agrees with everything you said.

See also: +1.

Jan 04, 2013 at 12:38 AM
dehowie
• • •
p.7 #10 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

I agree..
If you get the points on target it WILL be in focus the module is that accurate.
Looking for confirmation is a thing of the past..

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:10 AM
marko1953
• • •
p.7 #11 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

I also don't really like the AF point illumination issues but I will live with it. All this discussion about illuminating the AF points but the OP of this thread was able to get 95% of his shots in focus with an unfamiliar camera!! This is testimony to the wonderful AF system on this camera. We are probably used to NEEDING AF confirmation on previous Canon cameras because the AF was often unreliable, (non 1 series). Now the AF is so reliable we will end up not needing the actual confirmation as much just trust that the camera will focus 98% of the time.

Jan 04, 2013 at 02:28 AM
Sage

p.7 #12 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

sorry, coming from the uk, I've never seen "this" before

Jan 04, 2013 at 09:23 AM
Sage

p.7 #13 · 5D III Review: Wedding: Lots of issues!!!

I was lucky enough to have the chance to test a 5d3 alongside a d800, and have to say the canon's af is actually better than the nikons ( particularly with the outer focus points ) the canon doesn't get confused with vertical and horizontal lines, the nikon would hunt a bit.

There are loads of reasons to keep my 5d, one of which is the quiet shutter which will be invaluable when shooting during ceremonies, bride getting ready, etc.

Jan 04, 2013 at 09:29 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password