Upload & Sell: Off
1. On the 2nd day my camera got locked up after a shot and a "card is writing" light was illuminated. None of the controls seemed to be working except the shutter button. I had to turn the camera off and on to get that fixed. Last 2 shots that I took while experiencing this issue were not on the cards.scary stuff....
That's scary, never had this problem myself.
2. I did not look at RAWs,but jpegs do seem a bit soft...softer than my usual RAWs from 5DIIs.... Everything at every ISO speed seems a bit washed and has that plasticky look. My NR is set to "Standard",in case that matters. I've yet to find a WOW, this is soooo sharp image 5DII raws had many!! I'll have to look at RAWs later to compare.
In my experience, even at ISO 12,800, the RAW files are very sharp.
3. I was getting about 1050-1100 shots per 32GB card on 5D IIs. Seems like an extra MP brought it down to 850-870, which is a huge for just 1mp increase.
4. AF sometimes takes a 1.5 second to nail a focus even during day light for the first shot. That's VERY long. Seems like it doesn't happen often,but it happens. Same issue is also present during evening scenarios with little light. The camera will focus properly once the focus is achieved,but it takes 1.5-2 seconds. For fast paced situation this is extremely long!!
I haven't had this problem yet in good light. In the very darkest of light when I'm shooting only avail light @ f/1.2 @ ISO 12,800 it may take 1.5-2 seconds.
5.AF has hard time focusing on bright white,low contrast subjects with little contrast. It needs some kind of contrast to nail the focus. So, while in wedding situation it may have no problem achieving focus on a wedding dress,since there are shadows and wrinkles that create contrast, camera does have a bit of an issue focusing on white wall the dress is hung on.
I personally would think this is normal with any camera. AF needs contrast.
6 I am still not sure how CF and SD is handled. My cameras are set to record raws on CF and jpegs on SD cards.
Now what happens if I delete a photo. Which card is image is being deleted from?? I'd want that image to be deleted from both cards!!
I am not sure if that was an issue, but many times I'd delete a photo only to find it later on the card!!! So I am not sure WTF was going on.
That's a great question and I'm guessing it'll delete it from both cards. The only card specific action I've seen so far is when you format CF cards it'll ask you which card to format.
7. HUGE issue!!! HUGE. I am not sure if I have something set wrong,but I can't freakin see the AF point most of the time. I thought VF display illumination set on ON would fix that,but it doesn't. During the day I can't see the AF points and when the focus is nailed. It does show is as a circle at the bottom of the viewfinder screen ,but I WANT and NEED the AF point(center point for example) to be illuminated!!!!
It also isn't illuminated during the night unless the focus is achieved. So can't really see which focus point you...Show more →
This is a problem with the 5D3. I have no idea why they thought this (and your #8) was a good idea. This is also not something that can be fixed with firmware. It's a physical issue. The entire screen flashes red in bright light but it's barely visible. Even my wife was like "what the heck is this?!" Have to have the beep on to know if you nailed focus in bright light. This absolutely has to be fixed IMO.
8. Magnify button (up size/dowsize) was stupidly moved to the main dial. It's extremely uncomfortable. It was SOO much easier with 5DII. That wheel is not that easy to scroll so it's a hassle -this is a big WTF were you thinking for me
This is the stupidest design flaw with the 5D3. Why they did this was beyond me. I've emailed Chuck Westfall about this and received feedback. It's a simple firmware fix to move the zoom button back to the upper right. After several days of shooting myself my hand was very fatigued because I had to use the set button to zoom on the image. Dumb dumb dumb.
9. Just now I copied those 2 images and put the SD card back. Now the "card is writing/working" is ON and I don't know WTF is going on!! All the controls seem to be working yet the card was writing or doing something for over 1 minute before it went OFF. What was is doing?? I really want to know!!
PPS. Extra thanks to BH photo for a good discount on these 5Ds and a really fast delivery that arrived 2 hours before my flight
You got a discount on the 5D3 from BH? How much?
My experience so far with the 5D3 is positive with a few glaring issues like the focus illumination and zoom button placement. I really hope Canon fixes the zoom button placement soon so my motor memory doesn't get screwed up. It's hard enough moving to this camera from a a 5D because of so many more buttons and controls. I really wish Canon had put illuminated buttons on this like the D4. When it's dark enough to shoot ISO 12,800 it's dark enough to not see anything on the camera. Otherwise AF, high ISO and overall handling of this camera are fantastic.
Edited on Mar 29, 2012 at 03:07 PM · View previous versions