Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · What sound recorder?

mco_970
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · What sound recorder?

I need a sound recorder for two things - one I'd like to record various bird sounds when I'm working in my bird blind.

Two my new neighbor opened a big can of whooping *crazy* on me, and I want to document it, discreetly.

So can someone please recommend a good multi purpose sound recorder for me? Mostly, I want to record the birds.

The crazy neighbor is a whole 'nother deal. SIGH.

Thanks so much,
Michelle

Mar 29, 2012 at 02:40 AM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #2 · What sound recorder?

For the conversation, a tiny digital voice memo recorder will fit in a shirt pocket, though you might want something with a bit better mic and fidelity for the bird sounds. I don't have a more specific technology recommendation -- but I would recommend making sure you understand one-party vs. two-party consent laws for recording conversations.

http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-guide/recording-phone-calls-and-conversations

This is not legal advice -- other than to say, get legal advice before recording anything.

;- )

And -- sorry about the neighbor. I've had those, too. Ugh.

Mar 29, 2012 at 04:00 AM
Chris S.
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · What sound recorder?

I've been really happy with my Zoom H4 digital recorder, which has two built-in microphones of surprisingly high quality, plus two XLR inputs for outboard microphones. My model is slightly dated--the current incarnation is the H4n (about $300).

--Chris

edited for typo

Edited on Mar 29, 2012 at 05:03 PM · View previous versions

Mar 29, 2012 at 05:22 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #4 · What sound recorder?

Been using a Roland R-05 for 2+ years - weekly use - IMHO its outstanding.

www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=1077

Mar 29, 2012 at 05:38 AM
carnac
• •
p.1 #5 · What sound recorder?

Don't forget that smart phones do a surprisingly good job at digital recording (lots of apps). Of course a higher quality microphone and dedicated recorder will work even better.

The Zoom H4n ($300) and Tascam DR-07 mkII ($170) both get excellent reviews.

Jim

Mar 29, 2012 at 05:40 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · What sound recorder?

Thanks - I've heard of the Zoom and will give it a first look. DH has approved the purchase for any amount, so might as well fund a good setup for 'da birds while we are at it.

Hopefully the renters will be gone soon. I am pretty sure they will be. They went around the neighborhood acting crazy yesterday because they thought someone shot their dog, so it's not just me who has a story to tell the nice lady that owns the house. Dog is fine, BTW, was on my porch this morning eating catfood.

Mar 29, 2012 at 05:00 PM
pjheller
• •
p.1 #7 · What sound recorder?

Check out the Tascam DR-40, Olympus LS-100 (may be more than you need) and Zoon H4n. Think there's also a new Tascam DR-100 II out as well.

Mar 29, 2012 at 07:00 PM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.1 #8 · What sound recorder?

carnac wrote:
Don't forget that smart phones do a surprisingly good job at digital recording (lots of apps). Of course a higher quality microphone and dedicated recorder will work even better.

The Zoom H4n ($300) and Tascam DR-07 mkII ($170) both get excellent reviews.

Jim

+100 on the Tascam, the only real advantage to the Zoom is if you want XLR conncetions

Mar 29, 2012 at 07:08 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · What sound recorder?

I did end up going for the H4N. It looks optimal for my bird recording, and for some other DSLR shooting projects. I got to thinking about the projects I could do, and am a bit excited about it.

THANKS everyone!

Mar 30, 2012 at 08:13 PM
netexpress
• • • •
p.1 #10 · What sound recorder?

I use H4N too - nice. A Rode VideoMicro Pro (or compact pro) works well with it and fits in your hot shoe. I think that's the most common setup for Canon 5D* video shooters these days.

The ACLU web site has a good summery of wiretapping laws. I'm not an expert but basically I believe you can video tape anything without audio in any public place but audio is tricky. In 38 states you can audiotape a conversation with the consent of one party (yourself in this case). In 12 states you need the consent of all parties. I believe in Colorado you only need the permission of one party (yourself) so I think you are fine if you do it from a public place like the street or sidewalk. But look it up on the ACLU site and google Colorado wiretapping law. There are some good references out there for photographers and for video.

http://www.aclu.org/free-speech/know-your-rights-photographers

This is also a handy PDF written by a member on FM:

http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf

Mar 30, 2012 at 09:00 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password