Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              14      
       16       17       18       end

Archive 2012 · 5D III for alt and MF lenses: a game changer!

Light_pilgrim
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.15 #1 · p.15 #1 · 5D III for alt and MF lenses: a game changer!

AlexDROP wrote:
Sorry, can't get ur point. Do u have any last gen. 1Ds/1D?
5D3 is a step backward compared to what - 5D2? What a nonsence? Or did 5D3 evolve from 1Ds line?

It is a step backward in a very specific aspect - ability to focus via viewfinder while using zeiss 35 f.1.4 and no eg-s screen

Jun 05, 2012 at 02:53 PM

p.15 #2 · p.15 #2 · 5D III for alt and MF lenses: a game changer!

Oh, I see then.
Have you tried 6 fps shooting style with constantly adjusting focusing ring? Hit or miss mode with a good chance to recieve the very outcome in-focus image u need.

Jun 05, 2012 at 02:57 PM
Light_pilgrim
• •
p.15 #3 · p.15 #3 · 5D III for alt and MF lenses: a game changer!

AlexDROP wrote:
Oh, I see then.
Have you tried 6 fps shooting style with constantly adjusting focusing ring? Hit or miss mode with a good chance to recieve the very outcome in-focus image u need.

I do not leave the final outcome to chance

Jun 05, 2012 at 03:11 PM

p.15 #4 · p.15 #4 · 5D III for alt and MF lenses: a game changer!

Then consider AF lenses. Anyway focus with wide open apertures is always hit or miss even with 1D style VF. Nikon phase-AF system has a good face detection focus option if u shoot people.

Jun 05, 2012 at 03:24 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.15 #5 · p.15 #5 · 5D III for alt and MF lenses: a game changer!

This is the alt forum where people like the character of certain lenses, in particlar MF ones. Sorry but your suggestions makes no sense, it's cheaper and better to stick with the half-priced 5D2 and an EG-S.

Jun 05, 2012 at 03:45 PM

p.15 #6 · p.15 #6 · 5D III for alt and MF lenses: a game changer!

wfrank wrote:
This is the alt forum where people like the character of certain lenses, in particlar MF ones. Sorry but your suggestions makes no sense, it's cheaper and better to stick with the half-priced 5D2 and an EG-S.

How dare I am to mention here the Evil by its name - AF. Horses for courses, isn't it true for photo gear as well? Sticking with 5D2 and EG-S gives you 100% success rate in aquiring the right focus, doesn't it?
IMHO, if I have to take a picture in focus wide open I'd make multiple focus braketed frames. If I'm able to capture only one frame and whatever I use, there's no guarantee that the focus is nailed exactly where I want it to be. Thin DOF is considered.

Jun 06, 2012 at 01:52 AM
mMontag
• • • •
p.15 #7 · p.15 #7 · 5D III for alt and MF lenses: a game changer!

What Alex is referring to is "focus bracketing" - common practice for manual focus lenses where hitting the in-focus shot is critical. This is a technique used by many and a practice promoted and discussed on this forum over the last few years - though I haven't seen it mention in quite a while. BTW - it works.

Jun 06, 2012 at 07:37 AM
so.salty

p.15 #8 · p.15 #8 · 5D III for alt and MF lenses: a game changer!

Is there focus confirmation (the green square or sound) in Live View on Carl Zeiss ZE lenses?

Sep 19, 2012 at 08:00 AM
crazeazn
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #9 · p.15 #9 · 5D III for alt and MF lenses: a game changer!

so.salty wrote:
Is there focus confirmation (the green square or sound) in Live View on Carl Zeiss ZE lenses?

yes there is

Sep 19, 2012 at 08:19 AM
hauxon
• • • •
p.15 #10 · p.15 #10 · 5D III for alt and MF lenses: a game changer!

Magic Lantern for 5DIII is just around the corner. Great news for 5D3 alt lens dudes (and dames ).

http://www.magiclantern.fm/whats-new/78-news/137-first-alpha-version-for-5d-mark-iii

Sep 19, 2012 at 08:27 AM
wfrank
• • • •
p.15 #11 · p.15 #11 · 5D III for alt and MF lenses: a game changer!

hauxon wrote:
Magic Lantern for 5DIII is just around the corner. Great news for 5D3 alt lens dudes (and dames ).

http://www.magiclantern.fm/whats-new/78-news/137-first-alpha-version-for-5d-mark-iii

Cool, then it's likely to show up for the 6D as well for those interested.

Sep 19, 2012 at 08:37 AM
telyt
• • • •
p.15 #12 · p.15 #12 · 5D III for alt and MF lenses: a game changer!

Leica's new M has changed the game again. Full-frame live view with focus peaking with any lens you can put on it. No phase-detect calibration errors, no focus calibration BS, no shims.

Sep 19, 2012 at 08:50 AM
ukkisavosta
• •
p.15 #13 · p.15 #13 · 5D III for alt and MF lenses: a game changer!

Wow, glad to hear about the news re/ Magic Lantern and 5D3. Still happy with my 60D, but there is that nagging itch to move to FF at some point.

Jaakko

Sep 19, 2012 at 08:51 AM
lenticular11
• • •
p.15 #14 · p.15 #14 · 5D III for alt and MF lenses: a game changer!

wfrank wrote:
Cool, then it's likely to show up for the 6D as well for those interested.

OK, I am intrigued.

I visited the ML site and have donated in anticipation of this being a worthwhile app, but nowhere on the ML site do I get a simple short explanation of what it offers...

Sep 19, 2012 at 08:55 AM
buggz2k
• • •
p.15 #15 · p.15 #15 · 5D III for alt and MF lenses: a game changer!

Is this manual focus assist only available for ZE lens?
Or all MF lenses?

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:14 AM
so.salty

p.15 #16 · p.15 #16 · 5D III for alt and MF lenses: a game changer!

crazeazn wrote:
yes there is

awesome could you explain me shortly how to set it up, please! it doesn't work, on either zeiss or canon af (in manual mode)

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:36 AM
wfrank
• • • •
p.15 #17 · p.15 #17 · 5D III for alt and MF lenses: a game changer!

buggz2k wrote:
Is this manual focus assist only available for ZE lens?
Or all MF lenses?

The lens have to be 'chipped', if it isnt you can glue one on yourself. Or when lens have other mount than EF, get an adapter with chip. The chip itself is cheap, a few €'s at ebay.

Note that all arent that happy with the precision of the AF confirm-circuitry although it seem improved in the 5D3 over the 5D2.

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:19 AM
buggz2k
• • •
p.15 #18 · p.15 #18 · 5D III for alt and MF lenses: a game changer!

Thanks.
I now understand better, this seems like focus trapping in the Magic Lantern stuff?

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:58 AM
jay tieger
• • •
p.15 #19 · p.15 #19 · 5D III for alt and MF lenses: a game changer!

Just passing by and would like to add my 2¢....

When I recently found a "new" Nikon F, I immediately went to Ebay and got the "B" screen I had used for 30+ years on my F bodies, the one with no center spot focusing aid....no split image, no microprism...

The "B" screen has just a fine flat matte center circle that allowed me to focus more easily anywhere in the frame...30 years with it has given me the visual acuity to focus with dSLR screens...with concentration I can see the shimmering microprism at the center of the Canon screen, but I focus with the Canon (now the 30D, though I used the 40D with the EF-S optional MF screen) where the subject is and not use the focus confirm boxes...I had a couple of 1st generation dandelion chipped adapters and found them to be a nuisance...

True, I use primarily 50 to 300mm MF lenses, so that makes MF easier, but I just got the OLY 24/2.8 and a 28/2.8 and look forward to shooting them for street scenes and seeing what success-rate I have focusing with them...

Sep 19, 2012 at 01:10 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.15 #20 · p.15 #20 · 5D III for alt and MF lenses: a game changer!

buggz2k wrote:
Thanks.
I now understand better, this seems like focus trapping in the Magic Lantern stuff?

Sort of. Focus trapping CAN use the AF confirm mechanism (on chipped lenses), but in Live view mode it uses "regular" contrast detect

Sep 19, 2012 at 01:20 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.