Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · 1D mark IV or 5D Mark III

heavyj

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 1D mark IV or 5D Mark III

I'm thinking about selling my 1Dm4 in order to buy the 5Dm3. What do you think?

I'm still waiting to see some comparisons, but as far as video is concerned (And that's something I love to do with the DSLRs) the 5Dm3 is looking amazing at canceling out the moire and aliasing. However, I wonder how the ISO levels compare and with the 1Dx coming out, how much of a price drop should I expect on my current camera...any advice?

(This is a hobby that makes me some money here and there...)

Mar 28, 2012 at 11:55 AM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #2 · 1D mark IV or 5D Mark III

I would wait for the 1 Dx to come out and see some comparisons.

You will have greater lens flexibility with the 1 Dx because of its ability to read all lenses for auto focus.

Personally, I appreciate the heft of the top line bodies.

I guess the critical factor is in what you intend to shoot.

Then what do I know? I'm not a pro.

Mar 28, 2012 at 12:03 PM
AJay
• •
p.1 #3 · 1D mark IV or 5D Mark III

What kind of photography do you do with your Mark IV? If most of what you do is either sports or wildlife, you may miss having 10fps vs the 5DM3's 6fps. Other than that, I can't think of anything else you may miss other than having the feel of a pro-body.

Alan
www.iwishicouldfly.com

Mar 28, 2012 at 12:05 PM
coranda
• •
p.1 #4 · 1D mark IV or 5D Mark III

martines34 wrote:
You will have greater lens flexibility with the 1 Dx because of its ability to read all lenses for auto focus.

I'm not sure I know what this means. Which lenses AF with the 1DX and not the 5d III?

Mar 28, 2012 at 12:11 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · 1D mark IV or 5D Mark III

AJay wrote:
What kind of photography do you do with your Mark IV? If most of what you do is either sports or wildlife, you may miss having 10fps vs the 5DM3's 6fps. Other than that, I can't think of anything else you may miss other than having the feel of a pro-body.

Alan
www.iwishicouldfly.com

You will also miss much faster and responsive body in anything not just fps and also real weathersealing. You will also miss 1D battery life and many other small 'not up to 1D' items. For wild life you will be missing longer reach of 1.3 crop, etc

Mar 28, 2012 at 12:17 PM
heavyj

p.1 #6 · 1D mark IV or 5D Mark III

I do a lot of wedding and portrait photography. That's where I make the little money that trickles in for the hobby. It's mostly for friends and family that I do this. The rest is street photography or event photography.

However, the video part is what has me very very interested. I've only in the last 3 years really gotten into video editing and would like to improve in that area. I still love my photography and want to do more...in a perfect world I could keep my 1Dm4 and buy a second camera, but my wife would kill...and worse, probably trash my camera gear.

There's definitely an 'addiction' to new gear...but in the past I've waited. I always seem to wait to a point where selling gear gets to be hard (Finding a good price).

I wonder how much I'd have to add to a sold 1Dm4 in order to get a 1Dx...

I should add I'm also interested in Nikon's new lineup and have been thinking about getting a D800 as well...if I were single I'd get the D4...hell, I wouldn't be here trying to figure this all out I'd eat spam and water for months in order to get the gear I wanted (But not really need)...

Mar 28, 2012 at 12:18 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · 1D mark IV or 5D Mark III

coranda wrote:
I'm not sure I know what this means. Which lenses AF with the 1DX and not the 5d III?

+1,
What are you talking about martines34? If you are talking about f/8 focus then at least to date the 1DX doesn't AF at f/8 either. You need to stick with the 1D4 if you want f/8 AF or tape TC pins or use a non-reporting TC. Initial reports from the 5D3 with these workarounds has been positive. So it does work.

Mar 28, 2012 at 12:49 PM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #8 · 1D mark IV or 5D Mark III

Try anything above 400 mm.

Taping the pins is a jake way to use a camera. When the tape comes off and goo gets in everything. Not worth it to me.

Mar 28, 2012 at 01:20 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · 1D mark IV or 5D Mark III

Again martines34 what do you think will be different between the 1DX and the 5D3. There is no difference in what lenses it can use and the functionality it can use them at. I can shoot the 800 f/5.6 just as easily on a 5D3 or a 1Dx or a 1D4. I have no idea what you are on about but why not try to explain instead of just telling people they are a "joke" for using a viable option.
Again the 1DX does not AF at f/8 either.
If you ment to say 1D4 then I understand your frustration with the lack of f/8 in the 5D3 and 1DX but your post said wait for 1DX. And what does over 400mm have to do with anything?

Lenses that will AF with the 1DX and 5D3 over 400mm:
400f/2.8 with either 1.4 or 2.0 TC = 560f/4 and 800f/5.6
300f/2.8 with either TC = 420f/4 and 600f/5.6
500f/4 with 1.4 TC = 700f/5.6
600f/4 with 1.4TC = 840 f/5.6
800f/5.6
300f/4 with 1.4TC = 420 f/5.6
And least we forget the amazing 1200mm f/5.6!!!

Lenses that will AF with all previous 1 series bodies over 400mm:
500 and 600 f/4s with 2.0TCs = 1000f/8 or 1200f/8
800f/5.6 with 1.4xTC = 1120 f/8
100-400 with 1.4x = 560 f/8
400f/5.6 with 1.4x = 560 f/8

Edited on Mar 28, 2012 at 02:12 PM · View previous versions

Mar 28, 2012 at 01:44 PM
heavyj

p.1 #10 · 1D mark IV or 5D Mark III

This is going to sound very noobish...so pardon me...what does 'not AF at f/8' mean exactly? Is there something I missed in all my years behind my cameras...is this a magic f-stop that will not AF (Auto-focus right?)...

Mar 28, 2012 at 01:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · 1D mark IV or 5D Mark III

Yep. In the past only Canon 1 series cameras could AF with a lens and TC combo that went to f/8. Now even the 1DX can only AF at f/5.6 and wider. 1D4 is the last of the f/8 focusing Canon cameras. Now rumours abound about a software fix but we will have to wait and see and maybe the 5D3 won't get the update and only the 1DX will to help sell some 1DXs.

Mar 28, 2012 at 01:50 PM
twistedlim
• • • •
p.1 #12 · 1D mark IV or 5D Mark III

heavyj wrote:
I do a lot of wedding and portrait photography. That's where I make the little money that trickles in for the hobby. ...

In that case I would keep the 1dIV. The ability to meter on the active AF point alone would be reason alone for me to keep the series one body. Focusing on the face and metering on the white dress is difficult to control.

Mar 28, 2012 at 02:00 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · 1D mark IV or 5D Mark III

twistedlim wrote:
In that case I would keep the 1dIV. The ability to have spot focus and metering on the outer points would be reason alone for me to keep the series one body. Focusing on the face and metering on the white dress is difficult to control.

That is a really good point. Canon had to cripple the 5D3 in a few areas and this is one of them. Otherwise, my 5D3, 2 days in is the best camera I've ever owned and I also have the 5D2 and 7D but have never shot a 1 series.

Mar 28, 2012 at 02:02 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · 1D mark IV or 5D Mark III

I had to make a choice. I chose 1div.

Mar 28, 2012 at 03:07 PM
rick300d
• • •
p.1 #15 · 1D mark IV or 5D Mark III

I'm keeping my 1D IV and sold the 1Ds III when my 5D III came. My reason was primarily the weathersealing - I shoot field sports, adventure racing and outdoor action. I love not having to worry about my gear in the rain/snow - until I have to cross a river. The 5D III is supposed to have been improved but can't see any visible improvements over the 5D II.

Battery life was not big deal, the LP-E6 are small and can carry 3 spares in the same space as a 1D spare.

Focus also is probably going to be very close for me - I'm doing a shoot at a cheerleading event this weekend so I'll have both high ISO and fast action. I'll post results in a new topic.

I'm considering the 5DIII as a replacement for the 1Ds III and a de-contented 1Dx. I personally think the dual-CF card setup on the 1Dx is a mistake. Much easier to manage CF/SD split and standardize how you use them Raw - CF / Jpeg - SD, etc. If you are doing identical formats then not really an issue.

The 1DIV is still the pro-sports photographers body.

Mar 28, 2012 at 03:33 PM
geniousc
• • •
p.1 #16 · 1D mark IV or 5D Mark III

I think it's to early to do anything. I'm in the same boat with a 1D4 and 5D3 out for delivery. much of what we are reading are short term tests by honeymooners and people stepping up from lesser cameras. This is not a criticism. Every new Canon that hits the market is this way until long term testing brings out the short comings.
I am anxious to see a test from Rob Galbraith just to put things in perspective. I have a feeling it will occupy the same place in the Canon lineup as the D700 did in the Nikon lineup. Not a bad place to be actually.

Mar 28, 2012 at 06:20 PM
ruhikant
• • •
p.1 #17 · 1D mark IV or 5D Mark III

geniousc wrote:
I am anxious to see a test from Rob Galbraith just to put things in perspective.

Actually, 1D Mark IV did not pass his AF test, but now everyone knows that is not true including myself.

Mar 28, 2012 at 06:30 PM
jaybird555
• • •
p.1 #18 · 1D mark IV or 5D Mark III

AJay wrote:

Alan
www.iwishicouldfly.com

I agree with Alan. A shallow buffer and 6fps will drive me nuts.

Mar 28, 2012 at 06:36 PM
jfwoodman
• • • •
p.1 #19 · 1D mark IV or 5D Mark III

I can't imagine getting rid of the 1D4 - it's proven to be an excellent performer for me (wildlife and sports).

I am keeping my 1D4 and adding a 5D3. I expect this to be a great combination. If forced to have only one, I stay with the 1D4.

Mar 28, 2012 at 11:05 PM
heavyj

p.1 #20 · 1D mark IV or 5D Mark III

Glad to get all these opinions...maybe waiting a month longer and seeing how the 1Dx performs then either selling my 1dm4 for the 1dx OR keep my 1dm4 and get the 5dm3.

I was planning on also going with Nikon (I'm such a gear freak.) but that seems like a costly road to go down.

Mar 28, 2012 at 11:42 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password