Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · RFI - 4 days in Florida

jstephens62
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · RFI - 4 days in Florida

I am traveling to Florida next month, and will have 4 days between the time I arrive in Miami and my arrival in Key West for a boat trip to the Dry Tortugas. I have been to Florida before, but not since I had my 500 f4 lens, so I would like to get some time in for nature photography, mainly birds, in those 4 days.

My current plan is to spend one day at the rookery in Venice, one day at Sanibel Island, and two days in the Everglades. I would appreciate advise about other options; how would you spend your time if it was you? Practical tips about shooting these locations are also apprciated.

Thanks!

Mar 27, 2012 at 08:04 PM
KINGOFKNGS
• • •
p.1 #2 · RFI - 4 days in Florida

You HAVE to do Anhinga Trail in the Everglades. I spent a week driving around much of Florida last year and I felt that it was by far the best spot.

Mar 27, 2012 at 08:16 PM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · RFI - 4 days in Florida

Don't forget to stop by Little Estero Lagoon. Hands down the best place to do low angle work like these both taken there. One can just squat in the water keeping the lens inches above the waterline. The birds just crawl all over you!

Mar 27, 2012 at 08:44 PM
Tracey Harmon
• •
p.1 #4 · RFI - 4 days in Florida

Conrad,

Those are totally cool shots. Thanks for the heads up! Though I just got back from Florida you have given me a reason to do it again next March.

Tracey

www.traceyharmon.com

Mar 28, 2012 at 04:25 AM
B Benson
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · RFI - 4 days in Florida

Be aware that Ding Darling National Wildlife refuge on Sanibel Island is closed on Fridays. Bruce

Mar 28, 2012 at 05:48 AM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · RFI - 4 days in Florida

Tracey Harmon wrote:
Conrad,

Those are totally cool shots. Thanks for the heads up! Though I just got back from Florida you have given me a reason to do it again next March.

Tracey

www.traceyharmon.com

Anything Tracey!

Mar 28, 2012 at 09:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jstephens62
• • •
p.1 #7 · RFI - 4 days in Florida

My research shows that Ding Darling refuge on Sanibel Island has declined in recent years. If so it is too bad, I was there a few years ago and it was great. Can anyone corroborate?

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:05 AM
Vince Maidens

p.1 #8 · RFI - 4 days in Florida

I went to Ding Darling a few times recently and it was a shut out each time.

Agreed with Conrad on Estero. If you're interested in Burrowing Owl's its nearly a slam dunk at Brian Piccolo Park near Hollywood. Bit north of where you're starting but its worth it for Owls.

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:10 AM
jstephens62
• • •
p.1 #9 · RFI - 4 days in Florida

Thanks for the tip Vince, I am taking a red eye flight and arrive in Miami early AM, I could head to Hollywood first before going to Venice. Too bad about Ding Darling.

Mar 31, 2012 at 01:49 PM
KWeck
• • •
p.1 #10 · RFI - 4 days in Florida

What Conrad said.. just got back myself after a tour of 8 days and that was my favorite spot!!!
Kurt

Mar 31, 2012 at 03:56 PM
bobsofpa
• • •
p.1 #11 · RFI - 4 days in Florida

Corkscrew Swamp and Shark Valley are the places I would add to the list. For Burrowing Owls the best locations for me have been near the Cape Coral Lee County Library and near Tigertail Beach on Marco Island. Also, no need to drive all the way to Venice. Wakodahachee and Green Cay Wetlands are just north of Miami.

By the way, which dates are you going to be on the Dry Tortugas Boat Trip? I am going to be on the 28 Apr -1 May trip. The week before I will be doing bird photography in the Everglades and the Keys.

Apr 01, 2012 at 01:45 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password