Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Cheap speedlight setup.. ?

mowensphotogra
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Cheap speedlight setup.. ?

I've done a little research and this seems to be the best bang for your buck when it comes to having a thin wallet.

Flashes(2):
http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/yongnuo-manual-flash-yn560-ii.html

Cactus v5's(2 sets):
http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/cactus-wireless-flash-transceiver-v5-duo.html

Light Stands, Hot Shoe Mount, Umbrella Kit:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...lla_Mount.html

Thoughts?

Mar 27, 2012 at 07:32 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Cheap speedlight setup.. ?

Get more reliable triggers, a lot of wedding guys are saying great things about phottix but otherwise it looks good.

Mar 27, 2012 at 07:47 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Cheap speedlight setup.. ?

Radio triggers are pretty much a "knee jerk" reaction to the desire to move a flash off camera, but if you are not around other flashes going off conventional optical triggers like the Wein Peanut will work.

I used a pairs of Vivitar flashes with optical triggers for 30+ years before switching to Canon flashes and I don't use radio triggers with them either. The Wein Peanut slave is cleverly designed to either insert directly into the base of a Vivitar flash as shown on the left above, mimicking the shape of its proprietary plug, or it can be inserted into the end of a standard PC cord as shown on the right above.

Mind you I'm not saying it is a better solution than radio triggers, but it may be cheaper. They only cost $15 and have an effective range of 100':

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/63118-REG/Wein_940_001_PN_Peanut_Slave_100_.html

Mar 27, 2012 at 09:35 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #4 · Cheap speedlight setup.. ?

The Yongnuo 560 II units come with a built in optical slave, S1 mode for single flash firing, S2 mode for TTL firing which delays the final pop of the 560 II until it detects the last pop of the master flash. I bought 4 of these units a few weeks ago and I'm quite impressed with the sensitivity of the slave but haven't used them extensively outdoors in bright sunlight. I do have Pocket Wizards if I need them.

I use the Manfrotto umbrella adapter and the Vello universal accessory shoe mount with my Photek umbrellas.

Mar 28, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

hliu320

p.1 #5 · Cheap speedlight setup.. ?

i cant click on the full link of the lightstand setup; i would like to see it cause im actually trying to find a nice cheap setup

Mar 29, 2012 at 07:12 AM
RKPhotoNJ

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Cheap speedlight setup.. ?

Currently, I bring 4 speedlights and modifiers for hotel boudoir and location work.

Here's my setup:
1 Nikon SB-900
3 Yongnuo YN-560's
Yongnuo RF-602 triggers (1 transmitter, 4 receivers)
Various modifiers (5-6 umbrellas of various sizes, strip box, octobox, beautdy dish)
Reflectors of various sizes
4 standard Impact brand light stands and a separate boom arm

Apr 04, 2012 at 05:27 PM
myam203
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · Cheap speedlight setup.. ?

My cheap kit consists of two Yongnuo YN-460II flashes ($50 each), two Cactus V5 sets ($60 each), and two LumoPro LP604 compact stands (replaced by LP605 - $40 each). I have a Fotodiox 6x8" softbox ($13), Opteka grids (two at $13 each), and a Neewer 24" folding softbox with a flash bracket ($40), all from Amazon. I also have gels, umbrellas, a beauty dish, a dual flash bracket, a boom, and probably more that I can't think of now.

All of my speedlight gear maybe costs a little more than one SB-910. Gotta love it.

Apr 05, 2012 at 02:47 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password