Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Customer Service B&H

ktownjohn

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Customer Service B&H

Edited on Mar 28, 2012 at 07:01 AM · View previous versions

Mar 27, 2012 at 06:13 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Customer Service B&H

I'm not sure I see the outrage. Both your link and the shortened version in Henry's post list the item @ $799, which was the B&H price as well. If I understand this correctly, Adorama listed it briefly for $100 cheaper, then soon after raised the price back up to $799 -- and even though you can no longer order it at that price from either seller, you want B&H to sell it to you at $699 because you saw that price after you placed your order?

That price may have been a mistake, a temporary spiff from the manufacturer, an overstock, or who knows what else. If the price was that great from Adorama, I would have suggested buying it then, and sorting out a return.

This doesn't seem to me to be a hanging offense. As Henry said, they don't guarantee an absolute iron clad price match, because there are occasional extenuating circumstances.

You can return the lens if you like, and see if you can find someone else to sell it to you for the price you want.

Edited on Mar 27, 2012 at 07:24 PM · View previous versions

Mar 27, 2012 at 07:07 PM
jdben622
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Customer Service B&H

+1 to the above. How is B&H supposed to match a price that doesn't <presently> exist? Did you check if Adorama will honor the lower price? If they can't/won't not sure how why you'd expect another retailer to match it.

Mar 27, 2012 at 07:16 PM
ktownjohn

p.1 #4 · Customer Service B&H

No apologies needed.

Right is right, wrong it wrong. How much more clear can ti possibly be? .

Edited on Mar 28, 2012 at 06:58 AM · View previous versions

Mar 27, 2012 at 07:20 PM
austinschutz
• •
p.1 #5 · Customer Service B&H

I've had nothing but good experiences with B&H. They aren't my preferred store, but I don't think they've done anything dishonest here (and it seems you did have the option to cancel the order).

Mar 27, 2012 at 07:21 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Customer Service B&H

ktownjohn wrote:
Right is right, wrong it wrong. How much more clear can ti possibly be?

I think we agree that it couldn't be clearer; we disagree about just what it is that is so clear.

I'd chip in a few bucks for a Henry v. Helen cage match. The loser would have to keep you as a customer.

Mar 27, 2012 at 07:29 PM
ktownjohn

p.1 #7 · Customer Service B&H

jdben622 wrote:
+1 to the above. How is B&H supposed to match a price that doesn't <presently> exist? Did you check if Adorama will honor the lower price? If they can't/won't not sure how why you'd expect another retailer to match it.

I'm keeping the lens.

I simply can't belive how you feel that I, the consumer, is somehow responsible for pricing equipment? You sir are from another world. Wake up and smell the coffee.

This is 2012 .. I rest my case ... there are LOADS of quality dealers to choose from.

Edited on Mar 28, 2012 at 06:58 AM · View previous versions

lukeb
• • •
p.1 #8 · Customer Service B&H

austinschutz wrote:
I've had nothing but good experiences with B&H. They aren't my preferred store, but I don't think they've done anything dishonest here (and it seems you did have the option to cancel the order).

+1

ktownjohn

p.1 #9 · Customer Service B&H

Edited on Mar 28, 2012 at 06:59 AM · View previous versions

Mar 27, 2012 at 07:35 PM
Nikons4Me

p.1 #10 · Customer Service B&H

Berating a respected company because they wouldn't match another companies short lived price is petty, in my opinion. Recently in the case of the new Sony Nex-7 camera, Amazon had dealers on their site selling this wildly popular camera as much as $4-$5oo over MSRP. Yet B&H held there price at $1349. Go to one of those price gougers and see if they'll give you back $100. I have had nightmare buying experiences with other New York dealers, never so with B&H. Their pricing is fair and service impeccable. I have seen other dealers put in low prices, then bump them up, and say "oops we made a mistake, do you still want it?" We used to call that, Low Balling. Like I said, you got the product at what you thought was a fair price when you bought it, to complain now is petty, to say the least.
regards
Ed

Mar 27, 2012 at 08:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Taoguy
• • •
p.1 #11 · Customer Service B&H

ktownjohn
I simply can't belive how you feel that I, the consumer, is somehow responsible for pricing equipment?

Nope, you just decide where to buy. To suggest B&H will die a slow death, certainly not in the distant future. Exercise your option to buy elsewhere.

I've purchased from B&H for the past 30 years, great customer service. I have personally seen an item damaged in shipping valued $7K +, they shipped out the replacement prior to the shipping company picking up the returned product based on a telephone conversation. I order from B&H because they deliver what they sell with great service.

Mar 27, 2012 at 08:05 PM
ktownjohn

p.1 #12 · Customer Service B&H

Taoguy wrote:
Nope, you just decide where to buy. To suggest B&H will die a slow death, certainly not in the distant future. Exercise your option to buy elsewhere.

I've purchased from B&H for the past 30 years, great customer service. I have personally seen an item damaged in shipping valued $7K +, they shipped out the replacement prior to the shipping company picking up the returned product based on a telephone conversation. I order from B&H because they deliver what they sell with great service.

So happy for you although your experience has no bearing on mine.

Edited on Mar 28, 2012 at 06:59 AM · View previous versions

Mar 27, 2012 at 08:36 PM
ktownjohn

p.1 #13 · Customer Service B&H

Nikons4Me wrote:
Berating a respected company because they wouldn't match another companies short lived price is petty, in my opinion. Recently in the case of the new Sony Nex-7 camera, Amazon had dealers on their site selling this wildly popular camera as much as $4-$5oo over MSRP. Yet B&H held there price at $1349. Go to one of those price gougers and see if they'll give you back $100. I have had nightmare buying experiences with other New York dealers, never so with B&H. Their pricing is fair and service impeccable. I have seen other dealers put in low prices, then bump
...Show more

Petty ?

Edited on Mar 28, 2012 at 07:00 AM · View previous versions

Mar 27, 2012 at 08:42 PM
henryp
• • •
p.1 #14 · Customer Service B&H

Quote: Originally Posted by Henry Posner
B&H considers each price match inquiry individually and even has a sales exec dedicated to this task. We say yes as often as possible and regret when we cannot. We consider a variety of issues including our price and theirs, who the other retailer is (and we check ressellerrsatings.com, which you should also), the total out-the-door price including required but not included accessories, s&h and so on.

As I said in my emails to the OP, we're sorry for the dissatisfaction and regret that in this instance we were unable to match the price.

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

Mar 27, 2012 at 09:13 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Customer Service B&H

Geez, you want company A to match the price of company B, even though company B (nor any other retailer it appears) no longer sells it for what you once saw it listed for

wow....

Will Adorama sell you the lens $100 cheaper still ? Can you call them up, say "I saw you had this cheaper last week, so give me that price" ? No you can't.

So how exactly is B&H in the wrong for not matching a price at the very same retailer who also won't honor that price ??

Mar 27, 2012 at 09:15 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Customer Service B&H

Also lets not forget that $50 of this $100 that was apparently "stolen" from you is in a mail in rebate.

So your expecting B&H not only to adjust a price, but also to cover out of their own pocket the cost of a mail in rebate ??

Again, wow.....

Mar 27, 2012 at 09:17 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Customer Service B&H

ktownjohn wrote:
B&H showed bad form, not only on this order but on several other orders when I had questions about lens sharpness and focus.

B&H is NOT a store for the amateur photographer to frequent.

I'm sooooo happy for those of you who have a free pass to return to B&H, tut the cold reality is that us mortal weekend warriors are left shooting your rejects.

Go to Dell, OneCall, Amazon, Adorama, Norman, Roberts, ets. I belive you will be more satisfied if you are a weekend warrior.

John

Yeah.......... Dell and Amazon's over sea's based call centers surely can give a "weekend warrior" great information about lens sharpness and focus because even though they hardly speak English and make sub minimum wage reading from a script, they are all very knowledgeable photographers in their native lands.

Mar 27, 2012 at 09:21 PM
Ken-Shing Law
• •
p.1 #18 · Customer Service B&H

I don't see the problem. Henry responded with a link to the same product as the one you did sent him. Sometimes links show up different depending on how you clicked through to the page. It's the same lens. It has the same part # and the same SKU. The Adorama price may or may not have been a price mistake. Whatever it was, it was short lived, and you assume that B&H was actually able to see the price in the time frame that it was valid.

Coming here and moaning about B&H not price matching, or not providing a discount, is pretty childish. You can certainly take your money elsewhere,,and no one would fault you for choice. I would definitely prefer to deal with retailers that happily give me discounts, but I wouldn't bash a retailer because they refuse to do so, especially a retailer in a category where it's less expected to receive discounts of that sort.

I hope for your sake this thread gets binned.

Mar 27, 2012 at 09:33 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Customer Service B&H

I don't know how much profit there is on $700 or $800 lens but I'd guess there isn't a lot wiggle room. Maybe there is some more wiggle room on a more expensive item. Sorry but IMO you'd need to spend $20k in one or two years to become a platinum VIP customer, not six. These days it's just too easy to spend $3500 a year on camera stuff.

Mar 27, 2012 at 10:15 PM
Nikons4Me

p.1 #20 · Customer Service B&H

ktownjohn wrote:
Petty? A multi-million $ company holding me up for $100 is PETTY!

Get a grip!

Step away from the Kool-Aid. :-)

No, you have to step back and hear how foolish you sound. B&H had a product for sale at a fair price. You agreed that it was fair and ordered it. Another company lists it for a short time for less, which is a common everyday occurrence for consumers. How you can construe this to being "held up" is ridiculous, and shows your obvious character flaw. You're trying to use their liberal policies to scam $100. Your childish kool-aid comments don't change your petty actions. You purchased an item at a fair price in an above board business transaction. B&H kept their part of the bargain. You tried to take advantage of their fair way of doing business.
All your cute remarks won't change the facts, and the facts are how others here will judge your character.
regards
Ed

Mar 28, 2012 at 12:50 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password