Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · The PC is dying, but very, very slowly

nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The PC is dying, but very, very slowly

Well, how shall we PP our pics? with i phone?

Mar 27, 2012 at 03:00 PM
Ho1972
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The PC is dying, but very, very slowly

In the future, the generations that have grown up accustomed to everything being compressed (music, images, video) won't require anything beyond what their capture devices can provide straight out of the box. An image-editing computer as we know it will seem like an anachronism.

I have a friend with some iphone imaging apps that he thinks produce the greatest output ever. For his purposes (facebook) they probably do.

I wonder what people will hang on their walls 25 years from now?

Mar 27, 2012 at 04:51 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The PC is dying, but very, very slowly

Ho1972 wrote:
In the future, the generations that have grown up accustomed to everything being compressed (music, images, video) won't require anything beyond what their capture devices can provide straight out of the box. An image-editing computer as we know it will seem like an anachronism.

I have a friend with some iphone imaging apps that he thinks produce the greatest output ever. For his purposes (facebook) they probably do.

I wonder what people will hang on their walls 25 years from now?

I have pictures, mine and paintings from various artists, hang all over my house. But I don't see many in other houses. some have a huge "picture" electronic frame, that plays constantly.

Mar 27, 2012 at 05:24 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The PC is dying, but very, very slowly

nugeny wrote:
Well, how shall we PP our pics? with i phone?

Please don't troll, yet again. You don't present any evidence for you inflammatory allegation. The PC is not dying. Since you made the original assertion, the ball is in your court to support it, if you can.

Mar 27, 2012 at 07:39 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The PC is dying, but very, very slowly

Maybe, maybe not. When I was a teen, I was pretty happy with 45rpm singles and then with 8-track tapes. Then I got older, wealthier, my own apartment...and discovered audiophile sound.

As I've said many times before, homo sapiens has desired big pictures on the living room walls for as long as homo sapiens has had living room walls. That desire will not die in our lifetimes. The Net Gen, by and large, doesn't have living rooms to play music loud in or living room wals to hang big pictures on.

A few months ago, my Net Gen daughter put a CD on my system of music she'd only heard before in MP-3...and was amazed at all the music she'd never known was there. She was astounded; I was amused.

There is no dip in the sales of HD large screen display monitors...it's just that most Net Genners don't have their own places to put them. And if you have a big monitor, you want high def images to put on it.

Mar 27, 2012 at 10:01 PM
Ho1972
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The PC is dying, but very, very slowly

I had a similar experience a couple of years ago when my daughter passed through the living room as I was auditioning a new (to me) direct-to-disc LP of the Glenn Miller band. She stopped dead in her tracks, sat on the couch and listened to side 1 finish playing. Then she said, "You're going to turn that over, right?"

Maybe there's hope after all.

Mar 27, 2012 at 11:38 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The PC is dying, but very, very slowly

Monito wrote:
Please don't troll, yet again. You don't present any evidence for you inflammatory allegation. The PC is not dying. Since you made the original assertion, the ball is in your court to support it, if you can.

In case you are not informed and startflaming, read this
http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/19/technology/intel_pc_sales/index.htm
I am in stocks, so I read "money"

Mar 28, 2012 at 12:38 AM
digitalbug30d
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The PC is dying, but very, very slowly

well its like this people are LAZY...this is why they buy P&S's,Tablets,iPhones,iPODs, ect they think its all they need but if you want better pics of family you know a DSLR will give the best results,and takes a PC but peeps are lazy they dont want to be bothered with that..yucky its to hard and I am soooo lazy...so I gots this iphone or this 1.3 mp camera phone to take pics of babys first steps...yeah its blurry but its still a pic...bwhahahaha...dont think about 20-30 years down the road when um you want to look at those pics to be reminded of the joy..well isnt that what photos are for in the first place...not the so simpleton ways of now...if the gadget doesnt do at least 90 percent of the thinking its way to hard...for the nee A.D.D generation...

Mar 28, 2012 at 12:51 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The PC is dying, but very, very slowly

digitalbug30d wrote:
well its like this people are LAZY...this is why they buy P&S's,Tablets,iPhones,iPODs, ect they think its all they need but if you want better pics of family you know a DSLR will give the best results,and takes a PC but peeps are lazy they dont want to be bothered with that..yucky its to hard and I am soooo lazy...so I gots this iphone or this 1.3 mp camera phone to take pics of babys first steps...yeah its blurry but its still a pic...bwhahahaha...dont think about 20-30 years down the road when um you want to look at those pics to
...Show more

I'd love to read your post...but I only made it to the second line and my head started to hurt

Mar 28, 2012 at 02:35 AM
Craig Gillette
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The PC is dying, but very, very slowly

Of course the PC is dieing. The 8 track is gone, the laser disc is gone, etc. There are those predicting the blu-ray will be superceded by streaming content. It's only a matter of time. Probably not tomorrow or even next year. It's still a tremendously useful tool but if the cloud, etc., hang in there, and interconnectivity becomes universal and reliable, we'll be back to the new version of the dumb terminal with everything hosted elsewhere. Or not. For the typical consumer, the improvements in in camera processing results may make most, if not all, post-processing unnecessary.

Mar 28, 2012 at 04:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The PC is dying, but very, very slowly

Craig Gillette wrote:
Of course the PC is dieing. The 8 track is gone, the laser disc is gone, etc.

Nope. You could say big screen TV is dying, but actually, ..., they got bigger. Just like people want bigger trucks, they will want bigger computers, ..., to impress their friends.

Don't confuse formats with devices.

nugeny wrote:
I am in stocks, so I read "money"

By time "Money" magazine or "Business Week" notice a trend, it is too late to make money in stocks. They are notorious about publishing bullish covers at the top of markets.

You amended to your title to be less trollish and less inflammatory. The "PC" will not die. There will always be need for a powerful computer in the home. It might be a single machine used by an entire household and not in a desktop or deskside "box", more like a server rack blade accessed by the occupants and the house and the appliances and the entertainment systems and the car in the garage, etc.

The bottom line is that photographers who care (and there are a lot of them) will not process their photos on iPhones. Duh.

Mar 28, 2012 at 11:22 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The PC is dying, but very, very slowly

Monito wrote:
Nope. You could say big screen TV is dying, but actually, ..., they got bigger. Just like people want bigger trucks, they will want bigger computers, ..., to impress their friends.

Don't confuse formats with devices.

By time "Money" magazine or "Business Week" notice a trend, it is too late to make money in stocks. They are notorious about publishing bullish covers at the top of markets.

You amended to your title to be less trollish and less inflammatory. The "PC" will not die. There will always be need for a powerful computer in the home. It might be a single machine used
...Show more

If my home is an indication of trends, and I don't see why not, then I have to agree the computer as we know it today is slowly dying. We used to have 3 computers in the house, all being used. Now with everyone having smart phones for their e-mail and browsing and a couple of iPads, our lone "computer" sits idle except for my image processing. I can see a day where the desktop and even the laptop of today will be dead.

Mar 28, 2012 at 01:32 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The PC is dying, but very, very slowly

I can see a day where the desktop and even the laptop of today will be dead.

Like paper? Considering that most folk are consumers, I can see them going solely to consumption-oriented devices like iPads, but I don't see that happening for heavy content-creators. It might not be what we now consider a "desktop," but it won't be what we now consider a "tablet," either.

Mar 28, 2012 at 04:11 PM
jdben622
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The PC is dying, but very, very slowly

Computers as we are used to them aren't going anywhere for quite awhile. With that said, they are of course evolving. Nano-tech is going to yield some interesting formats in the future. You could rattle off dozens of devices...cars, phones, TV's, etc...that are "dying" in the sense they will not be in the same form factor as present.

In all cases, who cares? By the time a radically different format has evolved, you will have had plenty of time to adapt. I can still find Zip drives at the computer show, so if I forgot to switch to CDs 15 years ago I could make the migration.

Mar 28, 2012 at 04:23 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The PC is dying, but very, very slowly

To me there is no substitute for a large screen for editing and viewing photos. A screen the size of a hardback book is a toy IMHO.

Mar 28, 2012 at 04:27 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The PC is dying, but very, very slowly

David Baldwin wrote:
To me there is no substitute for a large screen for editing and viewing photos. A screen the size of a hardback book is a toy IMHO.

well said!

Mar 29, 2012 at 02:30 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The PC is dying, but very, very slowly

David Baldwin wrote:

Yes, but we photogs that use computers to process images are such as small, small percentage of computer users. Others that just need the computer to digest content, they are all moving to portable devices ( phones, tablets etc.... ). That is where the vast majority of computer use is heading.

Mar 29, 2012 at 07:37 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The PC is dying, but very, very slowly

chez wrote:
Yes, but we photogs that use computers to process images are such as small, small percentage of computer users. Others that just need the computer to digest content, they are all moving to portable devices ( phones, tablets etc.... ). That is where the vast majority of computer use is heading.

This is, however, a photography forum, and even if the "box" shrinks, many physical requirements will not. What may happen, though, is that what we do now with popular devices will become do-able only on specialized devices.

Mar 29, 2012 at 09:24 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The PC is dying, but very, very slowly

RDKirk wrote:
This is, however, a photography forum, and even if the "box" shrinks, many physical requirements will not. What may happen, though, is that what we do now with popular devices will become do-able only on specialized devices.

Or more likely, what we do today will not be what we do tomorrow. Not only will the devices change, but so will how we use them and in fact, what use we need from them.

Mar 30, 2012 at 12:08 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The PC is dying, but very, very slowly

chez wrote:
Or more likely, what we do today will not be what we do tomorrow. Not only will the devices change, but so will how we use them and in fact, what use we need from them.

You may be right here about hte future. We may not have monitors any more. All will be done virtually and in 3 dimensions, live ...ha, it would be great.

Mar 30, 2012 at 01:04 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password