Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              8      
       10       11       12       end

Archive 2012 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

wfrank
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #1 · p.9 #1 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

FlyPenFly wrote:
This is my standard test for a UWA lens.

Olympus 9-18mm M.Zuiko on a OM-D.

Hand held 1/13 with no support. Still came out sharp for my needs. The Oly 9-18 m.zuiko seems to sharpen quite nicely 1 stop down.

Love the perspective, great image! Some Hogwarts vibes too :-)

Jul 16, 2012 at 08:35 AM
briantho
• • •
p.9 #2 · p.9 #2 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

LeadyGonzales wrote:
.. this is soo nice, why ? is it the biogon or the NEX ?

Thank you Leady, It's not the camera or the lens, it's the photographer

Well OK, maybe the gear does help a little. In this case though I think the secret is the composition of the image. I wish I had a better eye for composing when I'm actually out taking photos. To get this comp, I had to crop heavily in PP. You can't tell by looking at the image on the web, but look at the image below, and you get the idea. It will be problematic to make a large print of this image because of the heavy crop.

Vallentuna kyrka / Church Composition by briantho, on Flickr

Jul 16, 2012 at 11:25 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #3 · p.9 #3 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

Hmmm do you have a LR tool that overlays the golden equation in the cropping tool?

wfrank wrote:
Love the perspective, great image! Some Hogwarts vibes too :-)

Hah, didn't even think about that but it's true! I'll have to figure out a way to one day sneak a tripod in and do a extended exposure in there.

Jul 16, 2012 at 01:07 PM
briantho
• • •
p.9 #4 · p.9 #4 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

FlyPenFly wrote:
Hmmm do you have a LR tool that overlays the golden equation in the cropping tool?

Just press o and Shift + o.

Jul 16, 2012 at 02:05 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.9 #5 · p.9 #5 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

I really need to watch a few LR training videos.

Jul 16, 2012 at 02:10 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.9 #6 · p.9 #6 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

Does Shift + o work in LR4.1? Just tried it in development tab.. and nothing.

Jul 16, 2012 at 02:48 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.9 #7 · p.9 #7 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

FlyPenFly wrote:
I really need to watch a few LR training videos.

Seriously, if you think the "golden equation" will make you take better images, you need to think more before tripping the shutter. Not watching more LR training videos.

Jul 16, 2012 at 02:55 PM
briantho
• • •
p.9 #8 · p.9 #8 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

Makten wrote:
Seriously, if you think the "golden equation" will make you take better images, you need to think more before tripping the shutter. Not watching more LR training videos.

It may not make you take better images, but knowledge about composition rules definitely can make your taken images better. Composing before tripping the shutter is of course optimal.

Jul 16, 2012 at 03:27 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.9 #9 · p.9 #9 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

Makten wrote:

Why wouldn't you use the golden equation in some of your images?

Jul 16, 2012 at 04:22 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.9 #10 · p.9 #10 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

I think Makten always(?) posts uncropped (3:2) images.

I personally find often find it often difficult to make a crop that looks better than my original compositions.

Jul 16, 2012 at 05:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

15Bit
• • • •
p.9 #11 · p.9 #11 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

AhamB wrote:
I personally find often find it often difficult to make a crop that looks better than my original compositions.

I confess i rarely have that problem myself

Jul 16, 2012 at 05:25 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.9 #12 · p.9 #12 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

Mescalamba wrote:
Does Shift + o work in LR4.1? Just tried it in development tab.. and nothing.

You have to already be inside crop mode by hitting R then hit o. Shift o seems to flip it.

Jul 16, 2012 at 05:35 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.9 #13 · p.9 #13 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

FlyPenFly wrote:
You have to already be inside crop mode by hitting R then hit o. Shift o seems to flip it.

Ah, thanks.. I think I will stick to what I use.

Jul 16, 2012 at 07:56 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.9 #14 · p.9 #14 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

briantho wrote:
It may not make you take better images, but knowledge about composition rules definitely can make your taken images better.

I disagree. If you have to follow rules, you'll probably never understand why a good composition is good anyway. Try to just follow your own feelings instead.

FlyPenFly wrote:
Why wouldn't you use the golden equation in some of your images?

Because to me photography has nothing with rules or equations to do. The day I have to use some sort of overlaying lines to figure out if the composition is "good", I'll quit photography right away.

AhamB wrote:
I think Makten always(?) posts uncropped (3:2) images.

Nope, I crop almost every photo I take. Partly because I hate 3:2 (leaning more towards 4:3) and partly because I tend to compose a tad "loose" at the shooting moment, just to be able to figure out the best framing afterwards. It's also very hard to get 100% straight lines in a small viewfinder, if that's what you're after.

-------------------

That said, this is my best image from this week. As you can see, it's all about the straightness.

School by Martin Hertsius, on Flickr

The uncropped original looks like this:

As you might understand, it wasn't easy to get everything straight without a tripod and I only tripped the shutter once.

Jul 16, 2012 at 08:04 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.9 #15 · p.9 #15 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

Yeah but in the above image you cropped it into a grid.

Whether on purpose or not, if you're human you see in certain ratios. It's just natural law and you can deny it to feel special but that's just the reality of it. It helps to understand the background behind it if you think your images are so special.

Jul 16, 2012 at 08:25 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.9 #16 · p.9 #16 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

FlyPenFly wrote:
Yeah but in the above image you cropped it into a grid.

Without using a grid.

Whether on purpose or not, if you're human you see in certain ratios. It's just natural law and you can deny it to feel special but that's just the reality of it. It helps to understand the background behind it if you think your images are so special.

So why use a grid then?

I don't think my images are very special, but at least I try to make some sense, compositionwise. Many people just point their camera at whatever that looks nice and press the button without thinking at all. Oh well, the horizon might be straight, but... Grids in PP won't help them, I'm afraid.

Jul 16, 2012 at 08:55 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.9 #17 · p.9 #17 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

I'm like, in the middle somewhere. I think before I click usually but this is along the lines of what I think:

- Gee, I'm going to have to get contorted and stuff to get that shot... I'll just take it from here and fix it in post - (via cropping or whatever)

- I'm so glad sensors are higher rez than 4mp these days... I can just shoot that from here and crop it later! Walking is for losers!

- I don't wanna go back home and get the longer lens like I should... I'll just use this one and crop it later...

- Wow, all this detail, all these potential compositional elements, I'll be able to make a whole bunch of different images from this one shot - just by cropping.

- etc.

DMC-GH2    1/250s    160 ISO    0.0 EV  

Crop Lines On Original

Edited on Jul 16, 2012 at 09:36 PM · View previous versions

Jul 16, 2012 at 09:14 PM
briantho
• • •
p.9 #18 · p.9 #18 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

Makten wrote:
I disagree. If you have to follow rules, you'll probably never understand why a good composition is good anyway. Try to just follow your own feelings instead.

Well, I disagree with you. And so does Plato, Newton, the ancient greeks, Rembrandt, Da Vinci and every art school in the world.

Jul 16, 2012 at 09:24 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.9 #19 · p.9 #19 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

Makten wrote:
Without using a grid.

So why use a grid then?

I don't think my images are very special, but at least I try to make some sense, compositionwise. Many people just point their camera at whatever that looks nice and press the button without thinking at all. Oh well, the horizon might be straight, but... Grids in PP won't help them, I'm afraid.

Well what I'm saying is, in the crop above, you're obviously using many photographic principles taught in Photo 101 in terms of composition. I think its silly to dismiss core image making compositional ideas common since Leonardo; you're following those rules whether you know it or not since almost nothing is original.

Jul 16, 2012 at 09:24 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.9 #20 · p.9 #20 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

FlyPenFly wrote:
Well what I'm saying is, in the crop above, you're obviously using many photographic principles taught in Photo 101 in terms of composition.

Interesting. I've never heard those principles, nor have I ever tried to follow any "rules".

I think its silly to dismiss core image making compositional ideas common since Leonardo; you're following those rules whether you know it or not since almost nothing is original.

That might be true, but in that case, I think that if you don't see the "rules" without getting teached, you'll never get there anyway. Using rulers is like have auto grammar correction on when you write something.
Of course you can use "rules" to explain why a majority of people like a certain image. But trying to follow that rule will probably not make you a better photographer at all. Because it's the good photographers who set the rules. They dont follow them.

Jul 16, 2012 at 09:56 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password