FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              11       12       end

Archive 2012 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

Rodluvan
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

Very nice stuff in here, as always Makten brings some perfection to it all. Nothing left to its own devices.

I haven't produced anything astounding this past week, but I like this
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7208/7035231497_fdda68b23b_o.jpg

Nikon D700
Zeiss distagon 2.8/21 ZF
1SO 800
1/750
F2.8
M-mode

I've been trying out the lens which is pretty new to me and I'm excited to put it to use as a street-lens as it is mostly used for sceneries otherwise (although granted, not exclusively). I haven't got there, but I'm patient.

This is a place in Stockholm I frequent often for photography (really the only place in Stockholm that is truly 'street'). It is not a 'candid' photo of the man selling lottery tickets per se, but a photo of him and the city.

Apr 04, 2012 at 07:40 AM
dbehrens
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

Wow! Some really great captures here.

Here is one taken last week on a cruise in the Caribbean just south of Cuba. Taken with the 5D Mk2 and CYZ 80-200 f/4. Most likely at f/11 or f/16, ISO 200 and 1/2000 with minimal processing in LR4. I love sunsets - as there are no two alike. Out of 52 shots this is (I think) my favorite from that evening - as I like the way it captured the light beams radiating from around the sun.
Dave
http://upload.pbase.com/image/142439998/original.jpg

Apr 04, 2012 at 09:06 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

This is my entry for the past week, taken last Thursday with my GH2 and Panasonic 7-14mm @ 7mm:

http://www.jordansteele.com/2012/sunset_ruin.jpg

Apr 04, 2012 at 09:15 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

Very nice Fly... where is that ^^^ ? Surely not near Columbus?

Apr 04, 2012 at 10:35 PM
Sirfishalot
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

This is very cool thread!
I finally got a chance to get out in some decent light here in Seattle and return to my alma mater at the University of Washington where the cherry trees are in full bloom in the liberal arts quadrangle. I went at mid-day which is always challenging for me to concentrate on finding decent shots with the large crowds of people there soaking up the sights and the sun. I decided to include some of the classical architecture in addition the typical views of the trees. I chose the monochrome treatment to put emphasis on the contrast in forms.
Taken hand-held with the Rokinon 14/2.8 on the Canon 5D2.

Thanks for looking/commenting,
JayT

http://www.jaytaylorphotography.com/Photography/Monochrome-Images/i-MVRSBJp/0/XL/Quad-Edges-BW-XL.jpg

Apr 05, 2012 at 03:33 AM
skogis
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

My best of the week.
D700
300mm f2,8 AF-S II

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7180/7036609461_287d3c35ec_b.jpg

Apr 05, 2012 at 03:56 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

Nice shot, but not extra-ordinarily alt...

Apr 05, 2012 at 03:59 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

Not only that but not even a blurb... Ugh

Apr 05, 2012 at 07:00 AM
corposant
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

http://corposant.smugmug.com/North-America/Los-Angeles/Santa-Monica-Beach/i-jcZPpDM/0/XL/44670002-XL.jpg

Camera: Mamiya 7
Lens: 80mm f/4
Capture medium: Fuji Pro 160S

When I lived in a more cohesive city (NYC), there were streets full of image opportunities. In CA, we tend to drive almost everywhere, so to get the priceless moments you get in a city, you have to find the places where people cluster. For that, there's the beach. This kid thought he could outsmart the waves. Around sunset people tend to leave the beach, so I was fortunate I could just capture his movement, the context of the beach, and the color/light of dusk at the same time.

Apr 05, 2012 at 03:03 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

denoir wrote:
Good thread idea. Here's my contribution. I shot it this week (on Thursday) in Aarhus in Denmark at the opening of a cultural center (Godsbanan). It's from the rehearsal for the modern dance performance "Grums" by the LuLu Art Group which was shown at the opening on Friday. My significant other was the choreographer of the piece so I got to see the rehearsal.

From a photography point of view it was a challenge. Photographing dance is difficult as you don't really have any time to make complex compositions as the scene changes rapidly and when the performance is on
...Show more

I like it. I'd say the most difficult thing about shooting dance is finding one fraction of a second in a performance that conveys both the overall beauty of the dance and gives you a sense of drama. A fraction of a second too early or too late, and it's all flailing limbs and awkward transitional positions. But this was certainly the right moment to release the shutter. And the dress does help. I like the duo-tone as well and the choice of color, but it's such a good shot you could easily change the mood with just a different color choice.

Apr 05, 2012 at 03:29 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

corposant wrote:
Camera: Mamiya 7
Lens: 80mm f/4
Capture medium: Fuji Pro 160S

When I lived in a more cohesive city (NYC), there were streets full of image opportunities. In CA, we tend to drive almost everywhere, so to get the priceless moments you get in a city, you have to find the places where people cluster. For that, there's the beach. This kid thought he could outsmart the waves. Around sunset people tend to leave the beach, so I was fortunate I could just capture his movement, the context of the beach, and the color/light of dusk at the same time.

That's fantastic. Great presence. I feel like I could step right into it.

Apr 05, 2012 at 03:34 PM
gurtch
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

Pentax 645D, 35mm MF lens, tripod, mirror lock
Dave in NJ

http://www.modernpictorials.com/Ocean%20Images/OCEAN/D503%20framed.jpg

Apr 06, 2012 at 09:35 AM
Makten
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

Thanks for all the kind comments! This weeks shot is actually a couple of months old, but I haven't processed it until now.

I'm often out riding my bicycle in the suburbs of Stockholm, and that's one of the reasons I've ditched the D700. I need a small enough camera for my daily 20-40 km rides and the NEX gives me that. But I've also got the excellent medium format Voigtländer Bessa III 667, which even if it's a tad too large, can be brough anywhere with not much effort.

Anyhow, one day I ended up in a dark forrest where the ground was covered with solid ice and it was more difficult to walk than ride the bike (with metal knobbed winter/snow tyres on). I found a small swamp with all these nice patterns in the ice and I decided to give it a try.

5551 by Martin Hertsius, on Flickr

I underexposed one stop just to be able to stop down to f/8 and handhold the camera at 1/60 second. The shutter button on the Bessa is awful and you don't know when it's gonna click, because there is no mechanical resistance before the electronic shutter trips. So I was pretty lucky that the image came out perfectly sharp, considering that my stance was very unstable.
The film was Kodak Tmax 400 which fortunately is very tolerant to underexposure at normal development, and the latitude was good enough for a nice and crisp result. The negative was scanned (as a positive) with Epson V700 and I only used the blue channel when processing in Photoshop.

Thanks for looking.

Apr 06, 2012 at 11:38 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

I usually am not a fan of abstract nature but that one works Makten.

Apr 06, 2012 at 12:14 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

gurtch wrote:
Pentax 645D, 35mm MF lens, tripod, mirror lock
Dave in NJ

gurtch - how about some commentary? There's always flickr (or some of the image threads here) for impersonal contributions.

Apr 06, 2012 at 04:09 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

Martin, really schysst image, ice is almost metallic looking. I do really like your abstract shots as I fail to find these motifs myself (so you better let me come along some day :-). In this particular case with a swamp and all, I cant help wanting to know what colors where there.

Apr 06, 2012 at 04:59 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

Great stuff, Martin. I am normally a Tri-X fan, but your work has me thinking that I ought to give T-MAX a shot...

Apr 06, 2012 at 06:34 PM
woodrim

p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

Well, I'll take this thread literally and post best picture taken during the week. Of course this is much more limiting and challenging to come up with something worthy, but what the hell. My week has run from Sunday through tomorrow. Should I do anything tomorrow and get lucky, I'll be back.

Taken with my modest Sony A200 and Meyer Optik Görlitz Lydith 30mm f/3.5. ISO100 and probably at f/8 or so. This is my favorite place to go when I need a break. It's at the end of a long wooden walkway along Shem Creek. The creek is actually to my back and this is just an outlet to the creek and harbor. I frequently see kayakers, but rarely a group of this size. I like this picture for the colors and way a viewed will be compelled to follow the line of kayakers to the last. Also, I just tend to like the IQ from this old lens.

Apr 06, 2012 at 07:33 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

I drove from Cape Cod up to Cape Ann on Saturday morning in time to get there before sunrise. I ended up taking some twilight photos in Gloucester Harbour and only just caught the beach a little before the sun came up. The tide was very low though and the sea extremely calm so I was able to get down to the rocks very close to the water. I had taken a few photos of seaweed and some snails and rocks and was looking for another angle. I wasn't sure if I wanted to use the same lens that I had on (21mm OM on Nex 5N) so I held the camera up to my eye and swung around to look at framing, something I rarely do until I have the image in my mind. The sky was in fact very bright to my eye, but once the camera "saw" it, it dropped the EVF brightness way down and I pretty much saw this and captured it, dropping the exposure to kill the shadows and keep the clouds.
http://i.pbase.com/o6/63/551663/1/142553065.Q2w1ZJJs._DSC1020.jpg
Mike

Apr 09, 2012 at 12:05 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

Zeiss 21mm F2.8 zf.2 Leitax adapted
Sony A850
1/1000
F4 (?)

While stomping around the Lorraine area of France near the German and Swiss borders, I was experimenting using the Zeiss 21mm as more of a street lens than the landscape lens it is known for. While packing up my gear to put back in the car, I was lucky enough to capture this moment.

I was having some exposure metering problems that day and this particular file required some work in bringing back some of the highlights in the far background. The information on the sky was completely lost unfortunately but for this composition wasn't a big deal.

Besides the action going on in the picture, I find the shadow of the figure projects the mood of this scene. I also find that the figure approaching the viewer works because it seems 90% of the street photography posted on the internet is the back of people's heads. That rarely works and is usually a product of a timid photographer.

Overall, I am pleased with the 21mm point of view as it captures far more of the environment than the traditional 35mm view that is typical of b&w street photography. The unusual field of view for this style of photography also gives me it a less tired more fresh look on this genre.

Apr 10, 2012 at 08:09 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.