Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3              11       12       end

Archive 2012 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

michaelwatkins
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

Ricoh GXR M Mount / Zeiss ZM35/2 @ f/2 / ISO 800 / 1/35th

A couple Monday's ago I'd been watching not so much this couple but the light, colours, and condensation on the window in this very warm coffee shop on a rainy Vancouver night. I already had my camera ready when I noticed the ghosts of people walking past outside and on the one shot I took was rewarded with someone turning their face towards the warm interior. It's not an image I care enough about to print but I do like the trio.

Cropped; a little post in LR4 and Silver Efex mostly to turn up the local contrast and burn the edges. The colour original shows what attracted me to the scene but I think I prefer the toned version.

PS: Why do I like it? Mostly because I was able to capture the image in the first place. I carry a small but capable camera all the time now, for the first time since I left 35mm film in the 90's for medium format film. I can therefore I do?

Mar 28, 2012 at 06:29 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

I love reading these descriptions. It just gives the images so much more context and draws me in more to the images and the photographer.

Michael, your processed version is the one I prefer as well. The figure through the window really makes this picture great and involving.

Mar 28, 2012 at 08:08 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

Very nice thread!

6661 by Martin Hertsius, on Flickr

Sony NEX-5N @ ISO 100, 1/20 second + Voigtländer 15/4.5 @ f/5.6.
Cropped ~25% and an aggressive, dedicated contrast curve was applied in PP, as well as some vignetting, dodging, burning and cloning out of small bright things that would only look like artefacts after downscaling.

I was on my way home from work, very tired and exhausted. But I thought that I should at least try shooting some instead of going home, because then I would only fall asleep.
I found this nice pattern and it took me a little while to figure out how to capture it without any distracting background. So I used the widest lens I had with me (out of 15, 28 & 50 mm), held the camera pointing downwards at arms length and shot a few frames before I got something that would do. Unfortunately my arms were too short to reach the middle of the "cross", but it worked quite well with some tilting in PP.

This is the pure definition of things I want to shoot. Ordinary stuff that is transformed into something interesting, just by eliminating the context. I like it particularly because it wasn't just a snap. I had to think and work to get what I wanted.

Mar 28, 2012 at 10:34 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

Great shot!

Mar 28, 2012 at 10:43 PM
bluetsunami
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

There's something human about the bundle of links you photo Makten. As if its trying to break free from its binds.

Mar 28, 2012 at 10:49 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

Makten wrote:
Very nice thread!

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6104/6872820866_0b55a170b8_b.jpg
6661 by Martin Hertsius, on Flickr

Sony NEX-5N @ ISO 100, 1/20 second + Voigtländer 15/4.5 @ f/5.6.
Cropped ~25% and an aggressive, dedicated contrast curve was applied in PP, as well as some vignetting, dodging, burning and cloning out of small bright things that would only look like artefacts after downscaling.

I was on my way home from work, very tired and exhausted. But I thought that I should at least try shooting some instead of going home, because then I would only fall asleep.
I found this nice pattern and it took me a little while to figure out
...Show more

nice still art dude!

Mar 28, 2012 at 11:01 PM
rtester
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

OK< I was at the Mission and shooting some Leica-R Alts on the 5D. Mainly to test the Lux 80 in the low light, but had the 28 as well. I was all finished with the 80 and the place was deserted so I stepped to the one side where there was some light coming in to change out the lens. I looked up and noticed all the pastels and the golden tone coming across, and there was some falling light from a window. So I stuck on the 28 and got this. I like the shadows and the bands of light and the lack of flare. I know it is a bit cluttered, but that is the environment. I like the lines and the spot-how it hits and seems to disappear and come out up to the face. I used a CF Gitzo and Markins Q3 head and a 608 spot reading.

Edited on Apr 06, 2012 at 05:36 AM · View previous versions

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:24 AM
Matthew0404
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

The Belmar railroad bridge spans 1,361 feet and was built in 1906. This massive railroad bridge has become part of our local bike trails that follow the Allegheny river and beyond. I mainly use these trails for running in the early morning. I was out yesterday for a run and loved how the sun was lighting the bridge. The combination of the early morning sun and the rusty iron screamed for a photo. This is the resulting image:

11 by mkrepp, on Flickr

Edited on Mar 29, 2012 at 02:01 AM · View previous versions

Mar 29, 2012 at 01:46 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

Would appreciate it if we can have some analysis or thoughts tied with your pictures or this thread would be useless.

Mar 29, 2012 at 01:48 AM
Matthew0404
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

FlyPenFly wrote:
Would appreciate it if we can have some analysis or thoughts tied with your pictures or this thread would be useless.

Edited

Mar 29, 2012 at 02:01 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

corposant
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

Camera: Hasselblad XPan
Lens: 30mm f/5.6 @ around f/16
Capture Medium: Fuji Astia 100

I was in the Devil's Golf Course and had a hard time getting really low to the ground because of the spacing of the salt crystals. The 30mm lens is about 15mm in 35mm terms, so I felt I needed to be as close as possible to the foreground without blowing my MFD or going outside of my DOF.  I had my little Jobo Gorillapod, so I set up on top of the highest one I could find and let the sun crest below the far western ridge.  There was about a 5 minute stretch where the setting sun turned the sky into a pink/purple mix and I stared to burn some frames. Astia is excellent at keeping tones in the sky but also toning down the contrast of "hard" lenses. I did a double exposure blend with a soft mask after development.  I hope this commentary was sufficient. 

Mar 29, 2012 at 04:31 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

Love this shot, Michael.

michaelwatkins wrote:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-NqyhmMZctyE/T3Nl_LdBsWI/AAAAAAAACKY/p_z_GafbkWk/s800/20120314-R0015294-toned2.jpg

Ricoh GXR M Mount / Zeiss ZM35/2 @ f/2 / ISO 800 / 1/35th

A couple Monday's ago I'd been watching not so much this couple but the light, colours, and condensation on the window in this very warm coffee shop on a rainy Vancouver night. I already had my camera ready when I noticed the ghosts of people walking past outside and on the one shot I took was rewarded with someone turning their face towards the warm interior. It's not an image I care enough about to print but I do like the trio.

Cropped; a little post in
...Show more

Mar 29, 2012 at 04:48 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

Corposant: Is the sky grain all from film? It looks amazing.

To be honest, I've never seen a picture from an XPan before.

Mar 29, 2012 at 06:33 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

Great shots, everyone.

Corposant- great shot with the XPan. I saw one of those with the 45mm at a camera shop today and was very tempted.

J- TWOK has posted quite a few shots with the X in the film thread. He had some work from the Japan tsunami aftermath that was devastatingly beautiful. You should check it out.

So my entry for the week is from the NEX-7 and Elmarit M 90 @ f/2.8. It was near dark (the sun hadn't set completely but was obscured by clouds hanging over the mountains. I was standing out in a field watching my dog sniff every blade of grass thoroughly, my camera bag hanging from my shoulder, though by then I figured it was really just extra weight. Then this guy landed in the tree above me and I thought he'd take off before I got the camera out of my bag, but he didn't. The result was barely in focus, underexposed by a stop, and noisy as the 7 gets @ 3200, but the more I started working with it, the more I liked it. I used Silver FX Pro to convert it and add the vignetting. Not perfect, but I like it.

Predator

Mar 30, 2012 at 04:13 AM
corposant
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

FlyPenFly wrote:
Corposant: Is the sky grain all from film? It looks amazing.

To be honest, I've never seen a picture from an XPan before.

Slide film's grain structure is very fine (think about the "noise" you see in a digital sky) - however once you digitize film and work with it a little, the grain can accentuate dramatically.

Brad - interesting use of the 90mm - I can barely focus long lenses on "full frame."

Mar 30, 2012 at 05:45 AM
mortyb
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

I think it was in 2010 I came across the Kodak DSLR here on FM. I really liked what I saw. Only a few weeks later, a used SLR/c came up for sale here in Norway, which was rather unique. I bought it right away. The camera had clearly been used, and showed quite some wear, but more important, the "Kodak IQ" was there. The same day I got it, I drove out to the sea at dusk. This is the first shot from my SLR/c. Lens is ZF 35/2. ISO 25, 4 sec.

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:23 AM
wfrank
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

Nice thread idea and great images.

After having enjoyed the Nex5N and started to use some Zeiss lenses I am trying to figure out if thats the way to go for my 5D2. The path I've chosen - after rediscovering the superb handling of a DSLR compares to the NEX - is to go for some CY's. I got the 28-85/3.3-4 some weeks ago and is eagerly awaiting a CY 85/1.4 on its way by post. Next will be (I think) a CY 50/1.4. That will be a neat kit fir the spring, complemented with a current Samyang 35/1.4 and a possible future CY 25/2.8 which seem underrated.

I seldom have any underlying thoughts with my images but I like shooting in low sun. This is taken from a bridge above one of the central boating clubs, showing boats i winter clothing. 90% of them are beautiful vintage wooden boats - and this area will soon explode with activity with (usually) elderly men machine grinding and sealing fragile hulls.

The 28-85 is a great lens (literally too) and to me the performance is impressive out to the corners, but it is going to be interesting to try the CY primes soon. F/8:ish and focale around 30.

IMG_8276 1280 by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr

Mar 31, 2012 at 08:49 AM
briantho
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

This thread is a good idea. Great images everyone.

This picture was taken last weekend. It looked like spring had finally arrived in Stockholm with temperatures around 15C, and sunshine. I went out to look for signs of spring, and found these tree buds which in swedish are called "Videung" during spring. There is a famous song in Swedish, sleep little "Videung", it's winter still... The song is particularly relevant today, as now spring has apparently been cancelled, and Stockholm is covered in snow once again.

NEX 5N with Hasselblad F 110mm f2
ISO 100
1/250
f2.8 I think

Videung by briantho, on Flickr

Mar 31, 2012 at 11:21 AM
briantho
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

Did everyone forget about this thread? Well I'll add this weeks contribution...

I posted this shot along with a few others in a set from the same subject in the NEX thread.

I sold my most used lens, the Hassy 110, so it was the last chanse for me to use the lens today, and luckily the sun was shining. I went out to look for something to shoot, anything. As I was walking along the lake close to my home, I came across these incredible icecles. How they've formed in to such magical shapes, I don't know, but they were beutiful, and a perfect last subject.

NEX 5N with Hasselblad F 110mm f2
ISO 100
1/250
f2.8-ish

Icicles by the lake by briantho, on Flickr

Apr 03, 2012 at 05:24 PM
denoir
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Your Best Image this Week Thread

Good thread idea. Here's my contribution. I shot it this week (on Thursday) in Aarhus in Denmark at the opening of a cultural center (Godsbanan). It's from the rehearsal for the modern dance performance "Grums" by the LuLu Art Group which was shown at the opening on Friday. My significant other was the choreographer of the piece so I got to see the rehearsal.

From a photography point of view it was a challenge. Photographing dance is difficult as you don't really have any time to make complex compositions as the scene changes rapidly and when the performance is on a stage, the background is really boring. Plus it's dark. So the M9 that I used isn't the optimal tool for that type of photography both due to relatively poor high ISO performance and due to it being manual focus.

Fortunately in this particular piece the dancer had a massive dress on which added interest to the scene and made it easier to do quick and dirty compositions.

The above shot was taken with a 35 Lux ASPH at f/1.4 (not f/4 as the EXIF says - the M9 can't estimate apertures at low shutter speeds) and at ISO 1600. I pushed it about two stops in posts so it's effective ISO 6400. Noise reduction, B/W conversion and toning.

Apr 03, 2012 at 05:47 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password