Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Softball: Australia women beat Japan ?!?!?

cocodrillo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Softball: Australia women beat Japan ?!?!?

A little bit of international softball last weekend in ….. Australia?!?

Incredibly, the Australian women’s team beat Japan, largely thanks to a pair of horrendous fielding errors at the end of the game – you need to pick up the ball if you want to throw it, and it really helps if the other player can catch.

Softball is a bit out of the norm for my shooting, but I thought I’d give it a shot. A couple things to keep in mind. The ballpark is in Australia, and while it looked like a nice (and busy) set of diamonds to play or watch a game, the set up was not photo friendly. We had to stay out of the bullpen (makes sense with the power of the pitchers), but that put us halfway down the fence between first/third base and the outfield fence. This did not help with shooting infield action. I also forgot how small a softball diamond is, which made life interesting with my 500 and 1D mark III. A very small selection from a fairly repetitive set of different players shot for stock.

Comments and criticism most welcome.

Sean

#1 No crop – shooting through the home plate fence with the 500.

#2 Cropped a bit – shooting down the third base line from a different zip code.

#3 Cropped a bit – shooting down the first base line from far away

#4 Not thinking straign – cropped from a vertical shot when I should have turned to horizontal

#5 And the problem with shooting the infield from up the first base line…

Mar 27, 2012 at 09:22 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Softball: Australia women beat Japan ?!?!?

Still good stuff though.

Mar 27, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Softball: Australia women beat Japan ?!?!?

Good looking shots here. I like #1 and #2 and that's a nice tight shot in #1.

How are you liking your trip across the pond?

Frank

Mar 27, 2012 at 11:27 AM
cocodrillo
• • •
p.1 #4 · Softball: Australia women beat Japan ?!?!?

Gentlemen, thank you for the kind words.

I suspect that softball/baseball is one of those games that gets easier to shoot as the quality of the athletes improve. Almost everything the ladies did in the game stayed within a nice tight frame -- no flailing limbs, strange angles.

Frank... what can I say... we thought it would be warm here. Our mistake. We arrived just in time for the drought to end and the near constant-rain to begin. The softball is the first event I've shot in over a year where I have stayed dry.

Mar 27, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Softball: Australia women beat Japan ?!?!?

Sean: Sweet set. Looks like you made the best of the constraints you were dealt. As for the 500, I would expect that to be super-tight on a regular-sized diamond.

Mar 27, 2012 at 12:21 PM
Shoota
• •
p.1 #6 · Softball: Australia women beat Japan ?!?!?

I'm no pro, so FWIW I think this is an excellent set of shots. #1, taken through the fence, has a nice bokah-kind of quality. #2 is the best for me.

Mar 28, 2012 at 12:06 AM
lhryshko
• • •
p.1 #7 · Softball: Australia women beat Japan ?!?!?

650 mm equivalent from behind the plate? How far back were you? Is that the moon between you and the pitcher in #1?

Great shots Sean! Hope you're loving being down under!

Mar 28, 2012 at 01:21 AM
cocodrillo
• • •
p.1 #8 · Softball: Australia women beat Japan ?!?!?

Thanks for the kind words gents.

Russ -- I tend to shoot too tight anyways, which is why I quite often miss peak action in team sports and usually shoot individual sports.

Shoota -- I'd love to say that #2 was all skill, but I can already hear the seasoned baseball/softball shooters coughing. Ball in frame isn't so hard, but on bat?!? I definitely got lucky.

Mar 28, 2012 at 01:53 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password