Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Build a new PC for CS5

Sam tran
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Build a new PC for CS5

It had been a while since I last built a desktop for Photoshop appl. and now in process of planning to build one for CS5. Do you have any recomm. on motherboard (ASUS, Gigabytes,Intel, etc..) , video card brand name and version, etc, ...I would be very appreciated.
I also thinking about using 128 GB SSD as C-drive, any pro & cons ?

Thanks,
Sam

Mar 26, 2012 at 08:20 PM
GeneO
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Build a new PC for CS5

Asus seems to have their problems now. Gigabyte does too. Just look at the Newegg reviews and be prepared to exchange motherboards. Shop at a site like Amazon that has a good return policy. I just recently had to exchange a faulty new Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 with Amazon and it was a piece of cake - 2 days on replacement and didn't have to return the faulty board until 30 days after receiving the replacement. The replacement is working great so far.

If you get a MB similar in capabilities to the above, and an i5 2500k, overclocking to 4.5 GHz is a piece of cake (given processor variation) with a budget air cooler like the CM Hyper 212+. These really overclock easily compared to the last generation (and maybe the next). You'd be crazy not to. CS5 is good at that clock.

Video card choice won't make a lot of difference with CS5. I am on a Nvidia GTS 450 and it isn't taxed by Photoshop. This may prove different with CS6 though - they may take advantage of CUDA processing on the GPU.

Z77 motherboards are already available for the Ivy Bridge processors that should be out in a month or so. The P67 and Z68 should work with the Ivy bridge and the Z77 should work work with the Sandy Bridge. Ivy bridge has a beefed up internal graphics controller. I use the iGPU for second monitor with the discrete Nvidia card as the primary.

Using a Crucial 128GB m4 SSD and it is very good.

If you want recommendations for other parts - PSU, case fans, coolers, etc. PM me

Cheers

Mar 27, 2012 at 12:41 AM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Build a new PC for CS5

CS5 ?_?_?_?_?_?_?_?_?_?

Turn down that 8-track tape of Billy Joel so you can hear me better. CS6 is coming soon!

Mar 27, 2012 at 06:09 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Build a new PC for CS5

I built this machine in December for Photoshop (and programming and web development):

AMD Phenom II x6 core 1100T
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, 32 GB capable, SATA 3 (6 Gbs), USB 3
16 GB (4x4GB) G.skill Ripjaws
Rosewill Challenger case, 5 external bays, 5 internal
1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA 3 (photos drive)
500 GB WD Caviar (data drive)
200 GB WD (system drive)
Syba bay for bare drives backup WD 1.5 TB green (one offsite)
DVD-RW / CD-RW
Sapphire Graphics 2 GB DDR3
Corsair TX650 v2 power supply
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler

Get a 32 GB capable motherboard and put 16 GB (4 x 4) in it for now.

SSD is good.

Mar 27, 2012 at 07:47 PM
Sam tran
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Build a new PC for CS5

Thanks a bunch everybody.
First of all, Bearmann - I don't want to be the "bleeding edge" for beta-ing the CS6, just stay with the devil "CS5" that I already know for now.

Geneo- ASUS and Gigabytes (plus MSI) used to be the #1, 2 and 3 in Motherboard, I will check the Newegg & "Tom hardware" site for rating.
Monito - so far some people told me go with Intel, at least Core i5 3 ghz as you mentioned for video editing as well. That leads to Memory, which I planned to install 16 GB DDR3, plus with the SSD, I hope the Adobe Premier can handle it without much sluggish as I tried it on my VAIO laptop cor i7 with 8 GB.

Mar 28, 2012 at 01:07 AM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Build a new PC for CS5

so far some people told me go with Intel, at least Core i5 3 ghz...
I hope the Adobe Premier can handle it without much sluggish as I tried it on my VAIO laptop cor i7 with 8 GB.

Sam, I've just started learning about and working with video and the consensus from what I've learned so far is that when buidling a video-editing computer one should use the most powerful processor you can afford. The current favorite seems to be the core i7-2600K. It's only about $100 more than the core i5-2500K, and the video experts claim it will make a real difference, especially when transcoding and rendering.

John

Mar 28, 2012 at 03:25 AM
Sam tran
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Build a new PC for CS5

Thanks Blueswest, I will go with i7 then. BTW, what video editing software are you using? Avid, Adobe Premier or anything else?

Mar 29, 2012 at 01:31 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Build a new PC for CS5

Sam, try Puget Systems for hardware synopsis. They are generally "on target" and provide comparisons for components.
Yes i7 is a MUST for PS.
Good luck!
Dan
http://www.pugetsystems.com/

Mar 29, 2012 at 07:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ishotharold
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Build a new PC for CS5

A serious consideration of harddrive system should probably be a primary concern as well. I learned the hard way when I filled up my onboard raid configuration that I was going to have to move to a separate box and rebuild it. Give some serious consideration to hwo your hd's will scale as you amass more photos.

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:04 PM
JayCeePhotog
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Build a new PC for CS5

Currently, I use the MSI p67 c43. It's not the best motherboard out there, but it does the job with my 500gb 7200rpm WD drive. I use a MSI 460gtx and 10gb's of ram. I run everything fine including Photoshop cs5 with LR4 open. On top of that, I typically have a game running in the background (Bf3).

For storage, I use a 2tb external drive, as well as two extra 2tb internal drives that mirror each other. I still have some SATA ports open and I'm looking at getting a separate raid drive in the future to create backups.

I'd say go with the 128gb SSD because it really makes a difference when you're booting as well as writing to your secondary drives that are used for storage.

Apr 01, 2012 at 12:51 PM
Kitehog
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Build a new PC for CS5

I just built a new system because Lightroom 4 was taking a toll on my old one.
I would go with the fastest processor and the most RAM you can afford. If you go with over 16 gig of RAM and are wanting a windows system you will need to get the PRO version of Win 7

This is what I built and it flys through my files in Lightroom 4. CS5 ran fine on my older system this upgrade was for LR4

EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti FPB 1024 MB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 2DVI/Mini-HDMI SLI Ready Graphics Card, 01G-P3-1556-KR

Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop Hard Drive Bulk/OEM - WD1002FAEX - (OS and Cach Drive 2 seperate particians)

Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop Hard Drive Bulk/OEM - WD1002FAEX- (Working Drive for my RAW files)

ASUS LGA 1155 - Z68 - SATA 6Gb/s and USB 3.0 - ATX Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 2200 Intel ? LGA 1155 Motherboards (P8Z68-V LE)

Intel Core i7-2600 Processor 3.4GHz 8 MB Cache Socket LGA1155

Komputerbay 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz DIMM with Blue Heatspreaders 240-Pin RAM Desktop Memory 10-10-10-27 XMP ready

I housed it in this case
Antec Nine Hundred Steel ATX Ultimate Gamer PC Case (Black)

I also have an external SATA box with 4- 2TB drives which I use for backup and older RAW file archives - ProBox 4 Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5-inch hard disk drive - USB 3.0 & eSATA

The probox is hot swapable and allows me to keep offsite copies of my backups
Hope this helps

Greg

Apr 01, 2012 at 07:44 PM
JayCeePhotog
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Build a new PC for CS5

I think he'd be fine with the i5 2500k, plus, if he gets a p67 board, might as well overclock because it's pointless if you don't.

Apr 02, 2012 at 05:44 AM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Build a new PC for CS5

BTW, what video editing software are you using? Avid, Adobe Premier or anything else?

Sam, I'm in the process of evaluating Adobe Premier 5.5 on my MacBook Pro. I actually do most of my still photograph editing in Photoshop on the Mac and spent the last few weeks evaluating FCPX on that computer. I was surprised by how similar FCPX is to iMovie, which I think is a terrible program (one of Apple's few misses, IMO). After doing some more research, I've come to the conclusion that, for video editing, you get much more bang for the buck with a Windows machine, so I will probably upgrade my existing Windows computer. And, based on what I've seen so far of Adobe Premier, I will use that program on the Windows platform. Adobe provides a 30-day trial of Premiere 5.5, so once you get your computer built you can give it a good workout before buying. Also, keep in mind that Premiere 6 is just around the corner (might be announced at the NAB meeting in a few weeks), so you may want to wait a bit before making a final purchase decision.

The Avid software (Media Composer) appears to be the standard for professional video editors, but it is just too far out of my budget.

I think he'd be fine with the i5 2500k

If he's on a very strict budget, than I agree with you. But if not, it makes sense for him to get the most powerful CPU he can afford -- especially if he's going to do a significant amount of video editing. For just $100 more the core-i7 2600k (which is also overclockable) is a no-brainer.

John

Apr 02, 2012 at 06:32 AM
Javier Munoz
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Build a new PC for CS5

If you dont have money to spare I wouldnt go with the SSD drive. It sounds fancier than it really is.

Apr 05, 2012 at 07:59 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Build a new PC for CS5

Javier Munoz wrote:
If you dont have money to spare I wouldnt go with the SSD drive. It sounds fancier than it really is.

I agree! Pretty pricey!

Apr 05, 2012 at 09:27 PM
Sam tran
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Build a new PC for CS5

Thanks everybody again for your input.

Mdbassman, I will check out the PugetSystem, compare with the Costco's ZT AMD FX6100 system (16 Gb, 2TB HD), which they just sold out for $599.

Hi Kitehog
Does ASUS LGA 1155 - Z68 has the latest chipset for Intel? I don't want the MB be obsolete just couple years.

As for core i5 vs i7, I wondered if I can get a better performance with i5 + SSD (just 125GB for OS), or i7 + 7200rmp HD

My son used the Avid, so I will go with it and learn from him (he has an older 32-bit machine! which it scare me that he might be "lust" for my new machine

Apr 07, 2012 at 03:16 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password