Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Portable background stand suggestions

sic0048
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Portable background stand suggestions

My home studio has a permanent background support system, but I am going to need a portable solution for an upcoming shoot. I'd like to get some suggestions from people on what they use and recommend (or don't recommend). I need something that is at least 9' wide since my continuous paper is 107" wide. I would also like something that can extend 9+ feet in height.

I don't want something so lightweight and cheap that it is going to bend/break on the first use, but I also don't need something a gorilla can jump on without breaking.

I also don't mind using lightstands (in fact would probably prefer it), but would need some recommendations on some options that are heavy weight enough to work. I think most of my stands are too light weight for this type of application.

I'd really appreciate some feedback and suggestions from first hand experience.

Thanks!

Brian

Mar 26, 2012 at 06:54 PM
Rick Ryan

p.1 #2 · Portable background stand suggestions

I first tried buying a crossbar and using my existing light stands and found it way too unstable so I ended up buying the Promaster 6440. It has 10ft air cushioned stands that are heavy duty and a 4 piece crossbar that you can adjust width. Seems pretty well made and comes with a nice canvas carry bag.
Promaster 6440

Mar 26, 2012 at 09:29 PM
squeakski
• •
p.1 #3 · Portable background stand suggestions

I use 13' stands from paul buff and a 1.5" 10' long pvc pipe. Just drill holes on one side of the pipe that will let the tips of the light stands threw to holed it up. You can add more pipes if you need I am at 30' wide for the dance studio.

Mar 27, 2012 at 01:15 AM
Roland W
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Portable background stand suggestions

I would recomend the Manfrotto 2983 Adjustable Background Holder Crossbar combined with some good stands. You sound like you will not need to use this a lot, so using or getting a pair of good C stands or medium duty folding stands that you can use for lights when you are not supporting a background should work fine. You can add sandbags to the stands to help with stability depending on wind. The special background cross bar collapses fairly short, and it does not need to be super strong because the tube of the background paper supports the span fairly well. The ends of the cross bar go right on to a 5/8 inch stand end, so you do not need to fight adapters or kludges to make it all work. You just assemble it with the stands low, and then two of you raise it up to working height. You still need a step stool or small ladder to un roll the background and put a clamp on, but it is all very practical.

Mar 27, 2012 at 02:30 AM
sic0048
• •
p.1 #5 · Portable background stand suggestions

FYI - I decided to go with the Savage 13' heavy duty stands. They appeared to be very similar to the heavy duty stands by Paul C Buff and others, but at about a 40% discount. I received them and I think they will work very well. They are much bigger and heavier duty than my other stands and I don't see any issues using them as a background stand.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:45 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password