Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Continuous VS strobes....which do you like in studio

Michaelparris
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Continuous VS strobes....which do you like in studio

I have always used strobes but after watching Peter Hurley's video I am thinking continuous is a pretty smart way to go....see the result before you click the shutter. Eliminates a lot of trial and error. Even though I can get things dialed in fairly quickly it seems it might take away a few bumps in the road.....

He uses Keno Flo's....$$$$

Anyone know of some an inexpensive continuous light set-up?

Might have to try to DIY some.

What say you....

Mar 26, 2012 at 06:30 PM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Continuous VS strobes....which do you like in studio

Continuous lights might help with seeing the exposure before tripping the shutter--that is true, but depending on your subject matter, it can cause some unforgiving hindrances to your shoot.

For instance, food. Depending on the food you're shooting, you might have less time to work with it before it perishes under the heat, which will result in working with multiple stand-ins while you're lighting, until you're ready to shoot the hero. Some items will also be near impossible to photograph under hot lights.

If you're shooting other tabletop non-perishables, they might succumb to the heat thrown by the lights in other ways.

If you're shooting people, you run the risk of causing them to perspire, making them feel physically uncomfortable from the sweat, heat and constant glare of light. You might need more make-up touch-ups as a result, making the shoot more time consuming and tedious, which might ultimately result in unsatisfactory shoots.

Just wanted to throw out some of the cons.

However, if you still want to invest in them, and Kino's and HMI's exceed your budget, check out Mole Richardson or Arriflex (Arri). Both are titans of the film industry, with the former having created most of the standards in that industry over the past 100 years.

Mar 26, 2012 at 06:46 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Continuous VS strobes....which do you like in studio

good tips thank you...

Mar 26, 2012 at 10:13 PM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Continuous VS strobes....which do you like in studio

Using a studio strobe that has a modeling light with variable power to approximately proportion to the strobe power setting gives you the full advantages of seeing the lighting, but also gives you the large power of a strobe for best depth of field. The strobe also has enough power to work with a modifier and still deliver plenty of light. They are the perfect blend of both worlds, and some units are not that expensive. Studio strobes also usually match daylight fairly well, so you can mix natural light with strobe.

Mar 27, 2012 at 12:42 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Continuous VS strobes....which do you like in studio

Michaelparris wrote:
...Anyone know of some an inexpensive continuous light set-up?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/699030-REG/Impact_OCTACOOL_9_Octacool_9_Fluorescent_Light_Kit.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2zmgtWI-qo

Mar 27, 2012 at 03:54 AM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Continuous VS strobes....which do you like in studio

BrianO wrote:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/699030-REG/Impact_OCTACOOL_9_Octacool_9_Fluorescent_Light_Kit.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2zmgtWI-qo

Thats nice....That does not look that hard to make. I wonder what the price would be to make it...off to home depot I go. Thanks for the links.

Mar 27, 2012 at 05:35 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Continuous VS strobes....which do you like in studio

Michaelparris wrote:
Thats nice....That does not look that hard to make. I wonder what the price would be to make it...off to home depot I go. Thanks for the links.

A significant cost factor are the bulbs. That type of screw-in CFL which have 5000K color temps and high CRI typically run about $20 each. That's $180 of the $259 of the 9 bulb light BrianO suggested, making DIY a less viable option that it might appear to be.

For about the same money you could buy an AB800 studio monolight and have the modeling lights you seek to guide placement. More power, more modifier options. I use a set of four AB800s for studio work and a pair of speedlights on bracket and stand for everything else. I might consider the CFL option if I was also shooting video, which based on the user feedback at the link is what many who bought and liked the linked product use it for.

FWIW - Setting speedlights without modeling lights isn't difficult once the relationship of key light angle and shape of human heads is grasped. There aren't too many key light angles which get light past the brow into both eyes and cause the nose shadow to fall down and not be a distraction. The two most flattering ones centered butterfly for full face, and 45/45 from the nose "short" lighting for oblique views are easy to "eyeball" if you think in terms of what angle the key light needs to be in 3D space relative to the point between the eyes where the nose shadow starts. For butterfly the key light winds up centered on the nose at a 45 downward angle. For "short" lighting the key light also needs to come down at about a 45 vertical angle to get past the brow and into the eyes, and be 45 to the side of the nose to make it's shadow fall down along its base and over the top of the nostril without hanging out (i..e. 45/45 from the point between the eyes).

Here's a simple trick when using speedlights without modeling lights I learned shooting weddings with dual flash. When setting the light to the face stand behind the light in line with it's path, using the stand similar to the front sight of a gun. What you see from behind the light is the parts of the face which will be highlighted. What you don't see will be in shadow. For example when lighitng an oblique view with key light at 45 from the nose you'd want to see both eyes and the entire far side of the face, without the nose blocking the view of the far eye. If bridge of the nose blocking the view of the far eye it means the key light will be shaded there. It is WYSIWYG with your eyes working like modeling lights, and conbined with a bit of chimping works for me when using my speedlights.

Mar 27, 2012 at 12:02 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Continuous VS strobes....which do you like in studio

great points

Mar 27, 2012 at 03:04 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Continuous VS strobes....which do you like in studio

Continuous lighting is expensive, heavy and not very powerful: a 600w light you need a 1sec exposure to match a 600ws strobe. With flash you can control the ambient with shutter speed, stop motion and have a load of daylight balanced power in a small package. The only thing I am jealous of are the great fresnels that look like sunlight from arri etc. you just can't get the clean super sharp shadows with strobes.

Mar 27, 2012 at 05:45 PM
Cr VI
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Continuous VS strobes....which do you like in studio

I use these for greenscreen video. ABs for stills. Worth a look.

http://www.amazon.com/ePhoto-Photography-Continuous-Lighting-H9004S4/dp/B005HFB4KS/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1332895098&sr=8-14

Mar 28, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Continuous VS strobes....which do you like in studio

As I just said in this thread:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1098544

there are bright continuous lights
there are cheap continuous lights
there are no cheap, continuous lights

the physics are against it.

<Chas>

Mar 28, 2012 at 01:47 AM
Cr VI
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Continuous VS strobes....which do you like in studio

I kept my engineering physics book from college and I just checked. Couldn't find that in there.

Mar 28, 2012 at 03:01 AM
aborr
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Continuous VS strobes....which do you like in studio

Cr VI wrote:
I kept my engineering physics book from college and I just checked. Couldn't find that in there.

That's the problem with physics textbooks. They tend to omit all those "real world" equations that have dollar signs in them.

Mar 28, 2012 at 05:16 AM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Continuous VS strobes....which do you like in studio

Mark_L wrote:
The only thing I am jealous of are the great fresnels that look like sunlight from arri etc. you just can't get the clean super sharp shadows with strobes.

You can have it, but price tends to be gut-wrenching.

Mar 28, 2012 at 06:21 AM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Continuous VS strobes....which do you like in studio

rico wrote:
You can have it, but price tends to be gut-wrenching.

as I said, there are no cheap, bright continuous lights.....

as for the physics, will someone please show me a cheap way to make a 5-bulb fluorescent lamp array with 85-watt CFLs (1500 watt brightness equivalent) appear as a controllable point source as does a 1500 W halogen bulb.

<Chas>

Mar 28, 2012 at 06:28 AM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Continuous VS strobes....which do you like in studio

cwebster wrote:
as I said, there are no cheap, bright continuous lights.....

I was responding to Mark's lament about the lack of fresnel/spot fixtures for strobe lighting.

Mar 28, 2012 at 06:50 AM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Continuous VS strobes....which do you like in studio

You need to test the cfl bulbs as they look good on paper but some have an icky greenish yellow spike and some give people very ruddy faces.

Mar 28, 2012 at 07:18 AM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Continuous VS strobes....which do you like in studio

Micky Bill wrote:
You need to test the cfl bulbs as they look good on paper but some have an icky greenish yellow spike and some give people very ruddy faces.

I also see that this is true. Actually, I don't see any difference now from 40 years ago. Florescents still require big fixtures and are critically suitable only for B&W; incandescents are still hot as heck and require lots of watts.

Both have to be uncomfortably bright to be generally versatile, although both can be valuable for niche applications.

And professional quality continuous light is more expensive than equally usable studio electronic flash.

Mar 28, 2012 at 12:16 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Continuous VS strobes....which do you like in studio

I just finished a project using 4 and 8 foot Kino Flo lights. Really nice light but amazing lack of build quality, all the cost must be in the ballast, it sure isn't in the fixture!

Mar 28, 2012 at 04:20 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password