Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Sports Event Photography and Files Sizes

fastcarsspeed
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Sports Event Photography and Files Sizes

For you guys that shoot events with tons of competitors, do you limit file size for your jpg's? Was just wondering as we did 9k in photos this weekend with 51gb of file size. Shooting with a 7D files are averaging 5-6mb for a L jpg.

Also I would like to say thank you to all of you sports event photog's. I don't know how you do it every weekend. My hats off to you. I ran my first one this weekend and it may be my last. I think I prefer just shooting and not dealing with all the other hassles.

Mar 26, 2012 at 02:23 PM
John Patrick
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Sports Event Photography and Files Sizes

Having downloaded, organized, and backed up over 100,000 photos over the last two weekends (and probably over 400,000 so far this season), I feel qualified to comment.

Yes, I do limit file sizes. I max out at either 8 or 10 Mpixels. Canon 1D Mk. II and Mk. III are full res, while Mk. IV and any 7D cameras are set down to 8-ish.

Another thing is to drop the JPEG quality down to 8 (most photons set it at 10 by default). I can't tell any difference in image quality and the file size goes down.

John

Mar 26, 2012 at 05:40 PM
fastcarsspeed
• •
p.1 #3 · Sports Event Photography and Files Sizes

John,

Thank you for the response. That is exactly what I was looking at. I shot Beam with my MKII and Floor with my 7D. I started looking at file sizes and then realized that nothing bigger than say 8X10 was going to be printed anyway and started looking at dropping down to Medium jpeg. Lesson learned again.

Mar 26, 2012 at 06:06 PM
John Patrick
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Sports Event Photography and Files Sizes

I routinely print 16x20 and 24x30 from 8Mpixel files. Never had any issues.

John

Mar 26, 2012 at 06:54 PM
John Patrick
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Sports Event Photography and Files Sizes

fastcarsspeed wrote:
John,

Thank you for the response. That is exactly what I was looking at. I shot Beam with my MKII and Floor with my 7D. I started looking at file sizes and then realized that nothing bigger than say 8X10 was going to be printed anyway and started looking at dropping down to Medium jpeg. Lesson learned again.

I can't understand your camera choices, here. On beam, the actual movement is fairly limited, so the 7D's autofocus is more than adequate. Also, beam is a prime target for prime lenses. Get the right angle, and an 85/1.8 or 135/2 works out well. The 1.6x crop of the 7D should make it so the 85/1.8 is a good choice. And shooting beam with the 7D means the 1D is freed up for floor, where it's much more AF unfriendly and can use the 1-series better focusing.

John

Mar 27, 2012 at 04:23 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

glort
• • •
p.1 #6 · Sports Event Photography and Files Sizes

I turn my 7d down to 8Mb doing events for the very reason we don't print anything over A4. Have had requests for 20x30's and had no problems printing to that size off the 8 Mb file.

Going bigger is just a waste of storage and processing speed.

Mar 27, 2012 at 10:50 AM
fastcarsspeed
• •
p.1 #7 · Sports Event Photography and Files Sizes

John,

In the dungeon of this gym my 1D had to be set to high and I still could not bring the shutter speed above 400 to even think about getting a keeper. The lights over the floor are the worst. The beam actually had not so bad lights and the cycling did not seem as bad. I do not have the 85 yet so my 28-75 would have been my choice. On Floor I was 3 ft off the floor and with the 70-200 was too close in some instances. On beam I was sitting back right of the judges. I only did one lvl 10 beam as I had a bye on the floor so I wanted to give it a try. Again great information here and thank you again. 2nd time shooting gymnastics and really learning quickly and this information is great.

Mar 27, 2012 at 11:05 AM
John Patrick
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Sports Event Photography and Files Sizes

Get an 85 f/1.8. Great for beam or bars work in crappy gyms.

John

Mar 28, 2012 at 06:09 AM
Hammy
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Sports Event Photography and Files Sizes

And when you get to doing 'volume' at events: 200,000+ photos per day, you'll find that shooting at 4-5Mpix enough.
Like John and glort, (and I'm sure you too, Forrest) we make sure to fill the frame with the subject - ready to sell and ready to print.
At 4Mpix with minimal crop, we can print 24x36's all day long - but that's a rarity, with common orders being roughly 30% 5x7s, ~4% 8x10, <1% anything larger and the other 65% images on disc.

As mentioned, larger file sizes do a couple things for you: take longer to download and use up more space to store... that's about it.
With over 20TB of images - mostly from just the past 2-3 years, I've yet to have a customer complain that any image doesn't have enough resolution.

Mar 28, 2012 at 04:11 PM
fastcarsspeed
• •
p.1 #10 · Sports Event Photography and Files Sizes

Hammy and this is why I will just be a shooter for others such as yourself and not do this as a regular gig. There is a huge investment with time and money to do this successfully. I was crying about 10k in images at 51gb and you are talking 200k in images a day at I am sure hundreds of gigs even at 8 mp. I am going to play with my image size this weekend with my daughters cheer event to see the differences.

Hammy wrote:
And when you get to doing 'volume' at events: 200,000+ photos per day, you'll find that shooting at 4-5Mpix enough.
Like John and glort, (and I'm sure you too, Forrest) we make sure to fill the frame with the subject - ready to sell and ready to print.
At 4Mpix with minimal crop, we can print 24x36's all day long - but that's a rarity, with common orders being roughly 30% 5x7s, ~4% 8x10, <1% anything larger and the other 65% images on disc.

As mentioned, larger file sizes do a couple things for you: take longer to download and use up
...Show more

Mar 28, 2012 at 07:10 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password