Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Birds catching fish

tyasa81
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Birds catching fish

not the prettiest among birds... but very interesting to see it snatch fish that comes too close to the surface of the water... can anyone help ID the bird? this is caught in Bali, Indonesia

sorry #2-4 is heavily cropped... shot with 85/1.4 with D7000 body on a rainy day...

#1 - the bird

#2 swooping down

#3 after a miss run

#4 finally caught one

Mar 26, 2012 at 03:58 AM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Birds catching fish

The action is good Tony, but IQ is suffering quite a bit from noise but that's ok. Next time when the sun comes out try again with a lower ISO and you should be ok! I think its a Little Blue Heron, but I'm not 100% sure

Mar 26, 2012 at 04:36 AM
tyasa81
• •
p.1 #3 · Birds catching fish

hi conrad... thank you for your feedback... yes i find that the iq is really suffering for these... due to high iso and heavy cropping... i have 1 question though... since i've never tried to capture bif before, i actually upped the shutter speed to 1/2000 (hence the high iso)... for a rare opportunity i rather deal with noise than excessive motion blur... however, for another time and opportunity, what is a safe shutter to capture bif? say is 1/500 enough?

Mar 26, 2012 at 04:56 AM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Birds catching fish

shutter speed will depend on:

first...total focal length....if your shooting a 500 mm lens, and your 1.6 crop factor...shoot at least 800th sec or faster...for pure frozen frames

second.....only use iso as last means to get there

third...should have had your longer lens on for the last ones...and then IQ would have been better

great for what you did...again...great shots.....keep going back and have fun

Mar 26, 2012 at 05:09 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Birds catching fish

tyasa81 wrote:
hi conrad... thank you for your feedback... yes i find that the iq is really suffering for these... due to high iso and heavy cropping... i have 1 question though... since i've never tried to capture bif before, i actually upped the shutter speed to 1/2000 (hence the high iso)... for a rare opportunity i rather deal with noise than excessive motion blur... however, for another time and opportunity, what is a safe shutter to capture bif? say is 1/500 enough?

1/500s is enough if the bird is a pelican, or even a raptor in high winds slowly flying by, but really you want 1/800s minimum with 1/1250s being my personal starting point. Whatever ISO (within reason) I need to get that SS.

Mar 26, 2012 at 05:30 AM
ashley138
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Birds catching fish

Always great to see birds from other parts of the world. I'm guessing it's a Pacific Reef Heron (?)
I think #1 is awesome. I agree that the others are suffering from being noisy but still enjoyable. I am still learning and I know I have trouble knowing what to do for BIF in low light. I'm always hesitant to bump the ISO. It's a balancing game.

Mar 26, 2012 at 05:44 AM
tyasa81
• •
p.1 #7 · Birds catching fish

onesickpuppy... thank you for your advice... all are true... especially the longer lens my longest lens is the 70-300... i opted for wider aperture and crop vs able to zoom in better... maybe i made the wrong decision...

conrad... thank you for your help... i'll keep it in mind @ the next opportunity...

ashley138... #1 is the only one shot at iso 100 since the bird is barely moving, i can lower my shutter speed to 1/200... i like it a lot too because the iq is the best among all

btw, i googled both blue heron and pacific reef heron.... from their respective wikipedia page, i think it's the pacific reef heron... it's endemic place is exactly right, and i found a similar bird shot by someone else in bali too... thank you both for giving me a starting point to getting to know these birds a little better...

Mar 26, 2012 at 08:03 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password