Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · How do deal with Craigslist problem?

umihoshijima
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How do deal with Craigslist problem?

I recently bought a Bronica SQ-A (medium-format film camera) on Craigslist. A guy put it up for a reasonable price, and I met him at a coffee shop to check it out. I did the usual checks one does with an old camera - shutter speeds, fungus on lens, clean viewfinder… but I didn't have a roll of film on me. I saw that the gears meshed between the film back and the body, so turning the crank moved one of the spools on the back. I figured this was good enough, and the seller seemed like an honest guy (had an old rangefinder on him, works at a local development lab/photo print store) so I took his work for it that the camera worked.

This was about a week later. My 120 film finally arrived and I was able to put a roll of film through it. Turns out that although the film loads well and moves to the first frame, it doesn't keep advancing after that. It's a known problem with these backs as they get old, and there doesn't seem to be an easy fix for it. A new 120 6x6 back is $120 off of KEH :-/ something I can pay if I need to, but not exactly something I want to do.

I just emailed the seller describing the situation and asking if he knew about this camera state. Is there anything more I can do? I know that I'm kind of risking these things buying off of craigslist, that there's no buyer protection and no obligation for the seller to do right.

Mar 25, 2012 at 03:57 AM
umihoshijima
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How do deal with Craigslist problem?

The seller got back to me and offered to pay for a new back. There are good people in the world sometimes, goes to show.

Mar 25, 2012 at 08:24 AM
Richard Nye
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How do deal with Craigslist problem?

That's really good to here. I'm glad it worked out for you. I think it's really important to deal with people you feel comfortable with, and not deal with people you don't feel comfortable with.

Mar 26, 2012 at 04:45 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How do deal with Craigslist problem?

Yeah - it isn't a matter of how you came in contact with a potential seller; there are both stellar people and scumbags everywhere. You met one of the former that time.

Mar 27, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tenn.Jer
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How do deal with Craigslist problem?

I second the above; you worked with an honest person, which does happen on Craigslist...but not reliably; all my transactions are done on the steps of the local courthouse, in daylight...an uncomfortable number decline the opportunity...
I'm pleased for you...

Mar 27, 2012 at 11:52 PM
jsjames

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How do deal with Craigslist problem?

I like your meeting location! I'll have to remember that. I've been lucky so far though.

Apr 02, 2012 at 08:35 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How do deal with Craigslist problem?

I like it too! I'm planning on selling three tripods on Craigslist soon and I'll offer the steps of the local courthouse as a potential meeting place as well! I live quite close to it so it's not a problem but somehow I think buyers will prefer the comfort of my living room.

@umihoshijima: Nice story. I have a similar one; I bought a Leica M2 off eBay last year and it needed a $120 CLA (identical amount oddly enough). The seller paid for most of it.

Apr 04, 2012 at 02:54 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password