Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · My first decent

sritri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · My first decent

Kildeer, though the background and everything was downright dirty as I was dug into some messy slush

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:38 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · My first decent

The kildeer looks great, the background has a lot of noise for ISO 400.

Morris

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:43 AM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #3 · My first decent

Thanks Morris. The new DPP is doing something to the JPEG which CS5 is unable to clean. I ran NR twice on the BG but still the noise persists. But being my first decent shot of this bird I chose to keep

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:52 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · My first decent

Well congrats on your encounter and capture! They can be very skittish that is for sure.

That is an awkward looking file on noise? Are you shooting in jpeg or RAW? The EXIF of the histogram looks weird too??
Hmmm........
That can work up to a nice shot with some NR though

Karl

Awww heck Shreeni, I couldn't resist to help you out on this fine shot

Mar 25, 2012 at 01:01 AM
davidearls
• • • •
p.1 #5 · My first decent

I think what I see in OP's shot is just some strange bokeh. Not every lens makes creamy BGs.

The bird itself is very well captured. The bokeh is the price paid for a fine subject capture.

Mar 25, 2012 at 03:34 AM
jdc562
• • •
p.1 #6 · My first decent

Karl made a big improvement. When you said that CS5 couldn't clean the jpeg, I wondered the same as the others: were you shooting jpegs or RAW? Adobe Camera Raw is very good at cleaning up noise in RAW images before going into PhotoShop.

I also wonder what is producing the other harshness in your image. Is this a highly cropped image? Was the original image underexposed and then corrected by boosting the "exposure" in PhotoShop? The latter is one factor that can produce the blotchy noise and the odd lighting seen here. There's nothing like a really nice image, like this one, to provide the incentive to learn how to make it optimal next time.

---John

Mar 25, 2012 at 05:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sevan pulurian
• • • •
p.1 #7 · My first decent

Karl Witt wrote:
Well congrats on your encounter and capture! They can be very skittish that is for sure.

That is an awkward looking file on noise? Are you shooting in jpeg or RAW? The EXIF of the histogram looks weird too??

I was about to say for iso 400 on the 5dII that noise looks wretched. I think it was generated from over sharpening? Cause even at f5.6 at 17.5m that should be a decent BG. None the less congrats of your first decent Kildeer shot.

Sevan

Mar 25, 2012 at 05:15 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · My first decent

lovely job on the killdeer Shreeni .. Karl did a nice job on the BG

Mar 25, 2012 at 10:04 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · My first decent

Your burd looks great Shreeni ~ Ron

Mar 25, 2012 at 07:06 PM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · My first decent

Nice close up!

Mar 26, 2012 at 05:18 AM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #11 · My first decent

Thanks every one and Karl for the cleanup. Looks awesome now. Is it NN or NWP ?

David : I almost always use NWP but on this one I wanted to see how the new DLO worked but failed to read that it worked only on RAW files and not JPG's. There was not much of cropping except for an muddy shrub behind the bird. I have other shots from the 500/4 IS which I feel does give some pleasing bokeh.

Karl: All I did was export-to-PS from within DPP. After that CS5 could not remove the noise at all. I went back into DPP but the NR settings are greyed out. I guess I need to re-read some stuff on the new features of DPP or just stick to my old workflow of LR3 & CS5.

Mar 26, 2012 at 05:51 AM
ashley138
• • • •
p.1 #12 · My first decent

Awesome shot!!! Bg looks better on second post. I don't know if I've ever seen a killdeer shot that is not set in mud and muck. I know every shot I've gotten of them is. It's just what they like.

Mar 26, 2012 at 05:55 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password