Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canon EX Speedlites

Sportsguy25

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Canon EX Speedlites

Greetings all,
New member here and first post. I just recently purchased an Xsi and shoot local HS sports (football, baseball, softball, basketball, volleyball). I am looking into adding a new Speedlite to my gear, mainly for this fall for football. Not really thinking of the 580 because of size, weight and cost. What would be my next reasonable choice for my shooting needs? Also, use the flash on occassion for indoor basketball and volleyball. Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

Mar 24, 2012 at 02:27 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #2 · Canon EX Speedlites

For most sports, you would be much better off with faster lenses rather than a flash unit, and for American football (or even real football for that matter), there is just too much distance most of the time and you are limiting your shutter speed to the max sync speed of 1/200 s.

If the flash were supplying near 100% of the light, then the shutter speed wouldn’t be much of a problem because the flash duration at half power or less is very short. But with ambient light being part of the exposure, you will suffer a lot of motion blur.

Brian A

Mar 24, 2012 at 03:59 PM
Sportsguy25

p.1 #3 · Canon EX Speedlites

I do use my 85 1.8 for most games and just let the action come to me, so the fast lens isn't really an issue. A fast zoom or prime would be ideal but also not affordable at the present time. So, the extra light is needed for sure

Mar 24, 2012 at 04:10 PM
Sportsguy25

p.1 #4 · Canon EX Speedlites

For those of you who have used both, is there much difference between the 430EX & EX II?

Mar 24, 2012 at 09:21 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Canon EX Speedlites

If you insist on a flash I would say forget the 430 line. If funds are low get yourself a flash that can accommodate a battery pack for faster recycle times; a used 550EX or off brand flashes that are equivalent to the 500 series and accept low cost battery packs.

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:16 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password