Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · XQD: and so it begins

my first reader and card right out of the D4 box. thats a nice "sample"

Mar 23, 2012 at 03:44 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · XQD: and so it begins

Are you NPS? Or is Nikon packaging these with all the D4s? I know they were included for NPS orders which is a very nice thing for Nikon to do. Avoids the complaints from people having to buy a whole new set of cards and reader.

Mar 23, 2012 at 06:17 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · XQD: and so it begins

yes i am. but the rumor mill has it that these are going out in the first round or so of product. that being mixed NPS and regular. i can tell you the cards are fast and work well. the reader is also quick acting too. i have 2 more cards on order along with another reader for mobile use. i like them.

Mar 23, 2012 at 07:03 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · XQD: and so it begins

Good to hear. Do you wish they had just stayed with CF? Or would you have rather they gone all the way and had 2 XQD slots?

Mar 25, 2012 at 07:43 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · XQD: and so it begins

i do wish they went to 2 XQDs but i'll live with it. i see an s model going dual XQD.

Mar 25, 2012 at 08:12 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · XQD: and so it begins

I can't see why they didn't just completely move over to SD. That would've eliminated the bent-pin problems that occasionally happened w/ CF.

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:04 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · XQD: and so it begins

yeah, instead you get split housings and slow xfrs. SD is not the product i can rely on. it is nowhere near as robust. i'd still take CF over it. XQD though is now my direction. i do have a D7k but the i am the least impressed with its choice of memory modules.

Mar 31, 2012 at 11:10 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · XQD: and so it begins

The D7000 is slow, and not just limited by the SDxx cards. The newest cards are quite fast. Of course the D7000 is a cheap body and there really should be a "D400" or whatever by now. I wonder if it will be SDxx+CF or what.

I really wish there were a micro-XQD form factor for small and P/S cameras, so that there would be one type of card for everything going forward.

EBH

Apr 01, 2012 at 12:19 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · XQD: and so it begins

the D7000 is not that slow but its certainly not a D700/D300s. it does quite well in many situations and will surpass a D300 in a few. it is less imposing then a D4 when dealing with people that have BCP*

*big camera paranoia

an XQD card can easily be shoehorned into all but the most compact camera designs of today. please, lets not splinter it just yet.

my biggest complaint is getting a hold of a second reader and another 32GB card.

Apr 01, 2012 at 06:20 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · XQD: and so it begins

Split housings? As in, SD cards falling apart?

Not saying it couldn't happen in SD more than either XQD or CF, just that it's not something I had ever heard of happening.

sjms wrote:
split housings

Apr 01, 2012 at 08:10 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · XQD: and so it begins

no CF and XQD are substantially more robust. you would need to pry at it where an SD just reqs a little mechanical flexing (you would be challenged to do it to CF or XQD) and the to halves can start to seperate. not hard to do.

and yes it was 2 of them
1 ridata
1 sandisk ultra

Apr 01, 2012 at 09:05 PM
TSY87
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · XQD: and so it begins

My d4, non NPS member, also came with the xqd card/reader. My order was from amazon.

Apr 01, 2012 at 09:11 PM
Mike V
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · XQD: and so it begins

Instead of creating another format, I wish they just used SxS Cards.

This is the same, but just a shorter housing, yes?

Apr 05, 2012 at 07:48 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · XQD: and so it begins

TSY87 wrote:
My d4, non NPS member, also came with the xqd card/reader. My order was from amazon.

So is it confirmed that all the first shipments are coming with this or is this always going to come with it. Is it listed in the Manual as one of the included parts?

Apr 05, 2012 at 07:51 AM
NikonDeb
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · XQD: and so it begins

I think they are shipping all the D4s this way because the card is otherwise on backorder

Apr 05, 2012 at 12:35 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · XQD: and so it begins

well the 16GB models are fairly easy to get. the 32GB versions seem to be a little light in availability though it is starting to show up.

Edited on Apr 06, 2012 at 01:29 AM · View previous versions

Apr 06, 2012 at 12:59 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · XQD: and so it begins

arbitrage wrote:
So is it confirmed that all the first shipments are coming with this or is this always going to come with it. Is it listed in the Manual as one of the included parts?

no its not part of the included parts info as supplied by nikon. it has a "included" sticker on the box. this was pretty much what nikon did when they included Capture NX with the D3 for awhile as a value added incentive.

they are simply "priming the pump" for XQD

Apr 06, 2012 at 01:03 AM
aborr
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · XQD: and so it begins

I expect that a lot of retailers won't be carrying XQD cards until other devices that use them start appearing. Since Sony is the sole manufacturer (so far) to sell them, I would guess you need to be a Sony dealer to stock them.

Apr 06, 2012 at 01:17 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · XQD: and so it begins

i think every dealer that sells the D4 is carrying whatever they can in XQD as it becomes available to them.

Apr 06, 2012 at 06:43 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · XQD: and so it begins

sjms wrote:
no its not part of the included parts info as supplied by nikon. it has a "included" sticker on the box. this was pretty much what nikon did when they included Capture NX with the D3 for awhile as a value added incentive.

they are simply "priming the pump" for XQD

This is what I assumed was happening. It does speak well of Nikon that they are doing this to help all their pros adopt a new format. I'm sure a lot weren't happy with the muddy middle ground. Probably should have gone all out XQD and maybe included one and the reader permanently with the D4 for the first year.

Apr 07, 2012 at 09:12 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.