Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · A bull moose!

Formeister

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A bull moose!

I got this shot of a bull moose feeding while hiking in the Grand Tetons this past summer. I was using my 5D2 and a 24-70 f2.8 L, so I couldn't fill the frame without getting pretty close to the moose....as in, less than 8 feet...probably really stupid, but he didn't seem to mind my presence and it was the first time I'd ever seen a moose in the wild and wanted to get a good shot!

Nothing special about this one, but I do like the late-afternoon lighting

Mar 23, 2012 at 08:17 PM
gschrade
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A bull moose!

Nice to stumble upon.

Mar 23, 2012 at 08:31 PM
Mark Cronin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A bull moose!

8 Feet, I would say you were incredibly st...., lucky I mean Marc.
Great shot,
Mark

Mar 23, 2012 at 08:35 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A bull moose!

Would not want to be that close to one of those guys ! Nice shot.

Birdie

Mar 23, 2012 at 08:37 PM
Greg Norrell

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A bull moose!

Nice shot. You're lucky. Most locals if given the choice of being within 8 feet of a grizzly bear or a bull moose would choose the bear.

Mar 23, 2012 at 08:56 PM
Laurie Watson
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A bull moose!

very nice shot! I have had some close encounters with bull moose and been told they are safer than females at close range. I was fishing a small stream in Wyoming a couple of years ago and as I started up the hill the moose came within five feet of me. I held my fly rod upright and stayed absolutely motionless. He looked at me and just continued politely on his way. It was quite remarkable. It was early summer so perhaps he was more blissful. Laurie

Mar 23, 2012 at 09:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A bull moose!

nicely captured

Mar 23, 2012 at 11:21 PM
daskibum
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A bull moose!

Nice. Have had many close encounters with moose, both bulls and females with yearlings. Never have they really cared I was there, even when close enough to spit on them. They just went about eating. Have found just always have an escape route in mind and watch their body language. They tend to let you know when they are annoyed.

Mar 24, 2012 at 01:05 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A bull moose!

You are lucky to be sharing this photo

Morris

Mar 24, 2012 at 01:06 AM
Formeister

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A bull moose!

Okay, just so everyone doesn't think I'm just a reckless moron, we ran into a few hikers who had just seen this moose 1/4 mile down the trail and told us about it and that it was quite peaceful...the trail went right next to the moose (as in, the moose just stepped off the trail to feed), so we (me, my twin bro, and a friend) needed to pass by it anyway, and we were sure to make lots of noise so as not to spook him.

That being said, maybe it was more like 10-12 feet away; still close. Had no idea they had such a reputation--you always hear about the bison and grizzlies but I hadn't heard anything bad about moose, in fact, on the way back into town (Jackson, WY), we saw another bull moose right off the side of the main road with a bunch of tourists (and game officer) taking pictures...figured if they were that dangerous, the officer wouldn't have allowed people being so close.. Nevertheless, sometimes the pictures that are most worthwhile have some type of risk behind them. I would have NEVER taken such a risk with a grizzly, however, especially considering someone was killed by one in Yellowstone a week after we were there...

Mar 24, 2012 at 02:19 PM
daskibum
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A bull moose!

Formeister wrote:
Okay, just so everyone doesn't think I'm just a reckless moron, yada, yada, yada

You weren't being that reckless. Yes, moose have a reputation for being evil bastards. They are a bit unpredictable, especially during mating season and with little ones. They have been known to trample unprovoked on occasion. That said, many people think they are just wild beasts that charge and trample more often than not, and its not the case. From extensive encounters with them, they don't tend to care much about people, and in most cases give warning signs. Just watch for those signs (grunts, lowered head with hair on back standing up and whatnot). They are really no worse than any other large critters.

Mar 24, 2012 at 05:43 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password