1       2       3              86      
       88              578       579       end

Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

corposant
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.87 #1 · p.87 #1 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

michael49 wrote:
Anyone have any opinions of the 18 f/2 vs the 18-55? One of those two will be my next lens.

Unless you reeeeeeeaaaally want to shoot that 18mm at f/2, get the zoom instead. The zoom is just incredibly impressive all the way around.

May 15, 2013 at 01:38 AM
michael49
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.87 #2 · p.87 #2 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

corposant wrote:
Unless you reeeeeeeaaaally want to shoot that 18mm at f/2, get the zoom instead. The zoom is just incredibly impressive all the way around.

Makes sense, just wish it were a bit smaller. I probably should get the zoom and then save for the 14 2.8.

May 15, 2013 at 04:10 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.87 #3 · p.87 #3 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

This thread is great advertising

I am --> This close <-- to getting the XE-1 and maybe the kit lens. -- my only hangup is whether I really want to go this route or go back to the OMD (which I owned before). The thing making me consider this is the XE1 lacks a rear swivel LCD - such a great feature.

I really like my 5D3, but I find I never take it with me anywhere, especially when I go mountain biking. I thought my GX1 would serve as a small camera, and it's good in its own right, but the Fuji's files are just superb (something I don't like about the GX1, even at base ISO).

As the meme goes, "first world problems."

May 15, 2013 at 07:07 PM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.87 #4 · p.87 #4 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

I went from the X-E1 to an OM-D cputeq. The swivel touch screen indeed is a killer feature. The blazing fast AF is too.
If you can live with some slower paced shooting I would always choose the Fuji. IQ really is better IMHO.

May 15, 2013 at 08:08 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.87 #5 · p.87 #5 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Image quality from the sensor is better on the X-E1. Lenses are excellent as well, though I think the very best m4/3 lenses are at least as good for the most part, and in most cases a little better (aside from the 14mm, which is better than any of the m4/3 wides). I like the Fuji controls better...the aperture ring, shutter speed dial and EC dial are just so dead simple and fast to change.

However, the OM-D's the better overall camera. AF is VASTLY better on the OM-D, as is just overall system responsiveness, and there are times when I have the Fuji out that I sorely miss the OM-D's IBIS. I'm finding myself taking the Fuji for most daily shoots around town, but I grab the OM-D for times when shots are critical, or when I need expanded capabilities.

One key thing is this: If I miss a shot with the OM-D, it's almost guaranteed that it's because I screwed something up. If I miss a shot with the Fuji, it's probably that the camera screwed up...and it happens a lot more often. When shooting candid portraits, I will definitely miss shots from time to time with the Fuji, just from the speed of AF, or more likely because it fails to find focus (happens about 5% of the time indoors).

May 15, 2013 at 08:24 PM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.87 #6 · p.87 #6 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

I agree with your more detailed description Jordan.

May 15, 2013 at 08:41 PM
Brody LeBlanc
• • •
p.87 #7 · p.87 #7 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Gabby - X-E1 w/ 35/1.4 by brodyl.91, on Flickr

Fiddle - X-E1 w/ 35/1.4 by brodyl.91, on Flickr

Commerce - X100s by brodyl.91, on Flickr

This last one is a part of a series of work I'm putting together for a gallery show:

Pigs - X-E1 w/ 35/1.4 by brodyl.91, on Flickr

Also feel free to vote for the photo at:
http://2013faces.nielsencontests.com/bin/Rate?image_id=2011400977

Edited on May 15, 2013 at 09:57 PM · View previous versions

May 15, 2013 at 09:07 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.87 #8 · p.87 #8 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Jman13 wrote:
Image quality from the sensor is better on the X-E1. Lenses are excellent as well, though I think the very best m4/3 lenses are at least as good for the most part, and in most cases a little better (aside from the 14mm, which is better than any of the m4/3 wides). I like the Fuji controls better...the aperture ring, shutter speed dial and EC dial are just so dead simple and fast to change.

However, the OM-D's the better overall camera. AF is VASTLY better on the OM-D, as is just overall system responsiveness, and there are times when I
...Show more

I appreciate the writeup, and you've pretty much summed up what I would imagine the XE-1 to be like - worse AFand overall responsiveness, better external controls, better IQ. If only the OMD had a 1.5x crop instead of 2x

I'll probably just bide my time to see how the UWA zoom and 55-300 turn out, but so far I'm liking the photos I do get to see.

May 15, 2013 at 09:35 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.87 #9 · p.87 #9 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

cputeq wrote:
This thread is great advertising

I am --> This close <-- to getting the XE-1 and maybe the kit lens. -- my only hangup is whether I really want to go this route or go back to the OMD (which I owned before). The thing making me consider this is the XE1 lacks a rear swivel LCD - such a great feature.

I really like my 5D3, but I find I never take it with me anywhere, especially when I go mountain biking. I thought my GX1 would serve as a small camera, and it's good in its own
...Show more

If you don't like the GX1 files I'm not sure why you would like the OMD's files - they are pretty similar.

I've only owned the X-E1 for a few days, but so far I would agree with everything that Jordan says.

So far I love the X-E1 for its simplicity. I love the ergonomics, which at least for me, goes a long way in terms of enjoying a camera. It just feels good to use.

The two things that have surprised me so far is how good the metering is (something that drives me batty with my 6D and sometimes even the the OMD) and the IQ - I expected it to be good, but this is the best IQ I've seen yet in a sub full frame camera......in terms of colors, dynamic range and high ISO, its impressive.....

This was a product shot I took tonight (to sell some of my Canon gear ) with the X-E1 and 35 1.4 @ f/2, ISO 3200, 1/40s, hand-held in horrible light (yea, I know - lousy way to do product shots), shot RAW and converted in LR (pushed another half stop in PP).....focus on 24-105....

May 16, 2013 at 12:54 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.87 #10 · p.87 #10 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Thanks for the thoughts.

As to the gx1 they are similar but IMO not as smooth as OMD files, there is a grain pattern present in the GX1 that is just a bit more rough than the OMD at all ISOs, nothing terrible but I am a cursed pixel peeper so it bothers me. (Stupid I know, I am in therapy) .

May 16, 2013 at 02:00 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mspencer1
• • •
p.87 #11 · p.87 #11 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Some really amazing photos in this thread. I've been looking for something more portable when I can't bring the 5DIII and lenses but that would still have decent IQ. This thread definitely helped me to make my decision and ended up getting the X-E1 with 18-55 and 35 1.4 which just arrived. I can't wait to play with it.

May 16, 2013 at 03:25 AM
TheGloriousEnd

p.87 #12 · p.87 #12 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Tardegardo, this image is completely stunning! ...it looks an awful lot like scanned b&w film. Made me wonder if you were accidentally posting in the wrong thread

Also, I'll champion the 18mm f/2 all day long.
It's plenty sharp, and quite tiny, meaning you actually might bring it along on a walk, where a larger lens might get left on the shelf....

tardegardo wrote:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7312/8735504198_3fceb42fc4_b.jpg

May 16, 2013 at 04:17 AM
goddardca

p.87 #13 · p.87 #13 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

This is a shot of a client's SL55 AMG from last weekend. Actually this was a re-edit. Frustrating situation but basically I used a CPL like I always do on car shoots to get rid of reflections (there's a lot downtown) but unfortunately for the type of paint he used, it basically caused it to look flat.

He was a little turned off by this so I went back and re edited the same shot for a little more punch and gloss in the paint. I'm not a big HDR fan but I was shooting +/- 1 bracketed shots to compensate for the pitch dark wheels so I thought I'd throw it into photomatix and mess with it a bit and liked the outcome. On a side note, I ordered my X100s 2 weeks ago and I'm getting the itch. Come on BH... please send it to me NAO!!!

Scott's Widebody SL55 AMG by ChrisG Photography, on Flickr

May 16, 2013 at 06:34 AM
michael49
• • • • •
p.87 #14 · p.87 #14 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

All with the X-E1....

35 1.4....

C/Y Zeiss 50 1.7 with close-up lens...

35 1.4...

May 17, 2013 at 01:16 AM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.87 #15 · p.87 #15 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Still waiting for the tele-zoom ... but here's the "other" zoom for now:

with XP1

May 17, 2013 at 02:11 AM
tardegardo

p.87 #16 · p.87 #16 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

KatieInTexas wrote:
Still waiting for the tele-zoom ... but here's the "other" zoom for now:

with XP1

The portrait is really cool!

May 17, 2013 at 12:29 PM
tardegardo

p.87 #17 · p.87 #17 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

TheGloriousEnd wrote:
Tardegardo, this image is completely stunning! ...it looks an awful lot like scanned b&w film. Made me wonder if you were accidentally posting in the wrong thread

Also, I'll champion the 18mm f/2 all day long.
It's plenty sharp, and quite tiny, meaning you actually might bring it along on a walk, where a larger lens might get left on the shelf....

Thanks a lot Glorious!
The shot is taken with 18-55 kit lens and is edited with Nik Silver Efex.
I am considering too to buy the 18mm and the 35mm as well.

May 17, 2013 at 12:34 PM
tardegardo

p.87 #18 · p.87 #18 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

May 17, 2013 at 09:04 PM
tardegardo

p.87 #19 · p.87 #19 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

May 17, 2013 at 09:05 PM
Alexey011

p.87 #20 · p.87 #20 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread