Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              59      
       61              332       333       end

Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.60 #1 · p.60 #1 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

I did some quick street/city shooting while out at lunch today. Most processed from RAW in Silver Efex, but a couple (2 and 5) are OOC B&W Jpeg (I shot RAW+JPEG). All are with the X-E1 and 18-55mm.

Mar 04, 2013 at 07:49 PM
nibutto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.60 #2 · p.60 #2 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

x-e1 fujinon 35

Mar 04, 2013 at 08:44 PM
johnahill
• • • •
p.60 #3 · p.60 #3 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Waiting for the bus?
X-E1 + 18-55

Edited on Mar 04, 2013 at 11:47 PM · View previous versions

Mar 04, 2013 at 08:59 PM
veeresh.ai

p.60 #4 · p.60 #4 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Couple of photos from Air and Space Museum:

La Minerve by Veeresh_ai, on Flickr

Chauncey Spencer's Flight Jacket and Gear by Veeresh_ai, on Flickr

EDIT: Aargh, not sure why I am unable to fix the title for the first one. I give up

Mar 04, 2013 at 09:01 PM
TimArruda
• •
p.60 #5 · p.60 #5 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

nibutto wrote:
x-e1 fujinon 35

http://pcdn.500px.net/27433001/e65157e4fa931aa5141b684b8c70e0e1ac6a20c5/4.jpg

Great set. I especially like the one with the bicycle. Where were these shot?

Mar 04, 2013 at 09:15 PM
xenor
• •
p.60 #6 · p.60 #6 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Mar 05, 2013 at 01:56 AM
Brody LeBlanc
• • •
p.60 #7 · p.60 #7 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Lots of great work in this thread lately, really impressive work. What are the thoughts on allowing X100s images to this thread considering it's also a X-Trans sensor camera.

I hadn't done a pano image in a while and it was a really neat looking outside last night. Sooo here ya go!
This is with the Speed Booster matched with the Leica-R 35/2, stopped down to f5.6.

Under the Bridge - X-Pro1 w/ Leica-R 35/2 by brodyl.91, on Flickr

Mar 05, 2013 at 02:28 AM
corposant
• • • •
p.60 #8 · p.60 #8 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Mar 05, 2013 at 02:47 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.60 #9 · p.60 #9 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

I like the image, but the plane doesn't add to the image, it detracts. I'd clone it out, personally. With just the person and great sunset, you've got a fantastic composition.

Mar 05, 2013 at 02:57 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.60 #10 · p.60 #10 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Jman13 wrote:
I like the image, but the plane doesn't add to the image, it detracts. I'd clone it out, personally. With just the person and great sunset, you've got a fantastic composition.

I'm not sure I agree entirely, but there's no doubt the plane draws the eye, and alters the image and meaning. Whether that is good or bad depends on the i) the viewer, and ii) the intended story the image is telling.

But I find myself of a totally different opinion regarding cloning-- I'm against it.

There's obviously no right/wrong on the subject, but my personal feeling is that if an image is shot in a documentary style-- and to me, this surely is--we're better off following the general photojournalistic ideas of of publishing without cloning things out, or making other alterations that dramatically change the meaning/reality of a shot.

If the shot is for commercial purposes, or intended as photo-illustration, clone away, I guess.

But I tend to feel cheated even when I see a beautiful/surreal image hanging on a wall, or in a calendar... only to find out that this small feature was cloned out, an extra cloud is layered in, or the water selectively shifted to a different hue. Yeah, it's all a grey area-- almost all of us tweak exposure, contrast, even curves. But in my mind the second something is cloned out (other than a dust spot), I think we lose something.

Disclosure: I shoot photojournalistic work, so I'm biased. But even as a child I was always let down by the promise/delivery of things like travel brochures hawking manufactured/unrealistic scenes.

Re Brody and X100s: It's obviously not my decision, but my gut feeling is to keep this thread to interchangeable lens XTrans cameras. For a couple reasons. There's something special about all the X100-bodies posting in their own thread (which already exists), since the gear itself is very unified, with almost purely the same focal length for every image. And likewise, there's something nice about the diversity of images and focal lengths here. Given how many more x100 style bodies I imagine there are compared to the XPro/XE bodies, I'd be afraid our thread might get diluted, and theirs might lose its special potency.

And perhaps this might sound photographically elitest, but I suspect the X100 users as a whole (not all, obviously you're a perfect example of the opposite) are using their cameras more like snapshot shooters. This thread has such a high quality ratio, and such well-thought out images from so many folks. And it's already quite popular/quick moving. I'm not sure we'd gain a whole lot by adding even more users of a slightly different body style... and we might in fact lose something. I personally like looking at both the X100/X100s thread and this one separately.

Mar 05, 2013 at 07:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jman13
• • • • • •
p.60 #11 · p.60 #11 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

justruss wrote:
But I find myself of a totally different opinion regarding cloning-- I'm against it.

There's obviously no right/wrong on the subject, but my personal feeling is that if an image is shot in a documentary style-- and to me, this surely is--we're better off following the general photojournalistic ideas of of publishing without cloning things out, or making other alterations that dramatically change the meaning/reality of a shot.

I agree that you shouldn't manipulate the scene for photojournalism, and I follow that when shooting a documentary scene. There your job is to give a visual representation of 'truth' and you violate that when you alter the scene. However, in this case I believe, (and in my own work), the purpose is usually art. At least for me, if you're after an artistic vision, I don't care how you arrive there...it's all about the final image and what you want to say. We alter reality as photographers simply by what we choose to frame and our choice of lens or depth of field.

Ultimately, of course, it's up to the individual photographer, though.

Mar 05, 2013 at 11:27 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.60 #12 · p.60 #12 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Jman13 wrote:
We alter reality as photographers simply by what we choose to frame and our choice of lens or depth of field.

I agree with this 100%. I think the altering vs. not in non-PJ work is more a matter of taste/opinion/choice... so we're on the same page with that!

Back to topic (soon!).

Mar 05, 2013 at 01:34 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.60 #13 · p.60 #13 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

We can definitely agree it's a good image, I think!

Mar 05, 2013 at 01:47 PM
veeresh.ai

p.60 #14 · p.60 #14 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Fuji Colors:

Mar 05, 2013 at 03:10 PM
ceder
• •
p.60 #15 · p.60 #15 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

I think we will keep this thread for interchangeable lens X-cameras.

Fuji X100, and X100s, I believe, already has a dedicated thread, and although I generally think it is a bit silly to have threads based on gear (it really should be landscape or street etc etc), it can be informative for potential buyers etc. Isn't that what this site is about?
So please include lens and camera settings when posting!

And sorry for not posting much - but here is "The passenger":

Fuji X-Pro1 with 18mm @f2 & 1/1000s. Out of cam Jpg, colors and exposure edited in LR4.4 (I find the jpg easier to color edit compared to the Raw in LR...).

Mar 05, 2013 at 05:58 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.60 #16 · p.60 #16 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

What's with the giant color line? Almost looks like a shutter failure, but I'm guessing you added that in post.....Not sure I get it.

Mar 05, 2013 at 06:04 PM
Joseph Marney
• • •
p.60 #17 · p.60 #17 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

It appears that it was shot out of a half opened tinted window - am I correct?

Mar 05, 2013 at 06:09 PM
ceder
• •
p.60 #18 · p.60 #18 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Spot on Joseph!

Mar 05, 2013 at 06:38 PM
ceder
• •
p.60 #19 · p.60 #19 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

My favourite gas station: