FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6              577       578       end

Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

bigkidneys
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

I personally think the EVF on the 7 is much better but I hate the cup. The rounded cup on the Xpro1 seems better to me. There is some lag with the EVF on the fuji occasionally but as I mentioned, have always been able to to hit focus with no problem. Although I like what I get from the 7 files (not an expert or pro), I have to do less with the Fuji files compared to the 7. Of course this is most likely due to the fact I shoot jpg with the fuji and raw with the 7. Comparing jpg to jpg, the Fuji is hands down much better IMO. Yeah, the 35 is the real deal! Although slower, the 60 is very nice too. I have an older EBC Fuji 50/1.4 M42 lens I plan on shooting all week to see what I get. Having shot it occasionally over the past 2 weeks I really like it but I still prefer AF if I can get it. Never an issue with AF in EVF mode but using the OVF, focus is spotty AFA focusing on the wrong thing. With the EVF, you can reduce the AF box size much smaller than the OVF which I think may have a small part in it.

Edited on May 07, 2012 at 08:11 PM · View previous versions

May 07, 2012 at 04:14 AM
olelovold
• •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

All with the 18mm.

May 07, 2012 at 03:48 PM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

olelovold wrote:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5326/7150322885_65999136bf_b.jpg

All with the 18mm.

This is a great example of what the 18 does really well.

May 07, 2012 at 05:08 PM
Brody LeBlanc
• • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

deadwolfbones wrote:
This is a great example of what the 18 does really well.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I feel like Fuji really had an understanding of who was going to be buying this camera and what sort of conditions the camera would be shot in. The 18mm does a great job of capturing enviromental portraits.

May 07, 2012 at 05:17 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

bigkidneys wrote:
I personally think the EVF on the 7 is much better but I hate the cup. The rounded cup on the Xpro1 seem better to me. There is some lag with the EVF on the fuji occasionally but as I mentioned, have always been able to to hit focus with no problem. Although I like what I get from the 7 files (not an expert or pro), I have to do less with the Fuji files compared to the 7. Of course this is most likely the fact I shoot jpg with the fuji and raw with the 7. Comparing
...Show more

You might try removing the cup. Once I did that, the NEX-7 EVF worked SO much better for me.

May 07, 2012 at 06:49 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Brody LeBlanc wrote:
I was thinking the exact same thing. I feel like Fuji really had an understanding of who was going to be buying this camera and what sort of conditions the camera would be shot in. The 18mm does a great job of capturing enviromental portraits.

The same could be said about the Sony 16 for NEX, which is routinely panned, but I found it to be useable in some situations.

May 07, 2012 at 06:51 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

douglasf13 wrote:
The same could be said about the Sony 16 for NEX, which is routinely panned, but I found it to be useable in some situations.

Except the Sony is both wider and has a narrower aperture, both features that make it less suited for such environmental portraits, IMO.

May 07, 2012 at 07:10 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Steve Spencer wrote:
Except the Sony is both wider and has a narrower aperture, both features that make it less suited for such environmental portraits, IMO.

I'm just saying it's probably a stretch to say Fuji planned on this being primarily an environmental portrait lens, especially judging by their sample images for the lens on their website.

May 07, 2012 at 07:43 PM
olelovold
• •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

I think the 18 was made for enviromental portraits too. It's not optimized for great corner sharpness, it's got f/2 aperture, it's small and inconspicuous.

May 07, 2012 at 07:49 PM
miloz
• •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

I don't know that it's that specialized, but Fuji definitely seems to have optimized the camera and lenses for reportage/documentary/street/etc., they must have assumed people photography would be a prime use of the 18mm.

May 07, 2012 at 08:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

miloz wrote:
I don't know that it's that specialized, but Fuji definitely seems to have optimized the camera and lenses for reportage/documentary/street/etc., they must have assumed people photography would be a prime use of the 18mm.

It will be for me.

May 07, 2012 at 08:54 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

FWIW, DPR updated their studio test photo with RAW conversions from a beta version of Adobe Camera Raw that supports the XP1

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/fujifilmxpro1/6

In some parts of the scene the Fuji looks very smooth, but in other areas the NEX-7 shows more/better detail. Some of it might also be depth of field dependent.

I also added the 5N to the mix, along with the M9 for kicks. If you put the crop over the dime with the white text on red background, you'll notice the Fuji renders the text somewhat differently, and the detail in the etched face just to the left is different than the other cameras too...

Might be due to the beta RAW converter?

Hmm, perhaps, because if you flip back to the JPEG file, the Fuji looks a bit better with detail.

May 08, 2012 at 02:12 AM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

The lack of detail in RAW compared with NEX7 is unsettling, hopefully it's because it is just the beta.

May 08, 2012 at 02:46 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

to me it just looks like it could use some sharpening

May 08, 2012 at 04:29 AM
mfoto
• • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

35 1.4, ISO 200, f/5.6

May 11, 2012 at 04:19 AM
snowboarder
• • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Some pretty amazing pictures in this Russian review:

http://fujifilmpro.livejournal.com/1004.html

May 13, 2012 at 06:13 AM
corposant
• • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

snowboarder wrote:
Some pretty amazing pictures in this Russian review:

http://fujifilmpro.livejournal.com/1004.html

It's tough to beat Fuji color.

May 13, 2012 at 04:49 PM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Here's a quick/useless ISO test between the K-5 and X-Pro1.

Both OOC JPEGs, both with NR at the lowest settings. Matrix metering, DA 35/2.8 Macro vs. 35/1.4, both at f/4.

Obviously the K-5 underexposed a little, but the X-Pro1 still would have destroyed it if the exposures were even. Pretty damn impressive.

May 13, 2012 at 09:11 PM
snowboarder
• • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

deadwolfbones wrote:
Here's a quick/useless ISO test between the K-5 and X-Pro1.

Thanks for that. Would it be possible to do the same, but ISO 200?
I'm really curious if XPro1 has a good detail after somehow strange dpreview tests.
Also one more question - is it true that the MF magnification mode changes aperture,
so the live view playback does not represent what really is gonna be taken?

May 14, 2012 at 01:43 AM
vallejo
• •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

So, anyone already shot this camera with M lenses? Any samples, specially RAW stuff?

May 14, 2012 at 02:56 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password