Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              277      
       279              342       343       end

Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

buggz2k
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.278 #1 · p.278 #1 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

SOOC, watermark layer, resized, that's it...

Jul 05, 2014 at 03:09 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.278 #2 · p.278 #2 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

but why? what made you choose that look and do you think it works? how did you achieve it?

Jul 05, 2014 at 04:29 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.278 #3 · p.278 #3 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Fuji X-T1 (56/23/14) and x100s

Emma and Stuart by Ian_Boys, on Flickr

Jul 05, 2014 at 06:05 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.278 #4 · p.278 #4 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Shrug, because it's different?
I will probably work on it, but thought it unique enough to post.
Cheap plastic fantastic, body and lens, Sima 100/f2 wide open with FujiFilm X-E1.

Ian Boys wrote:
but why? what made you choose that look and do you think it works? how did you achieve it?

Jul 05, 2014 at 06:38 PM
rji2goleez
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.278 #5 · p.278 #5 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Beautiful wedding portfolio, Ian! Wonderful toning and contrast to these.

Jul 05, 2014 at 07:28 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.278 #6 · p.278 #6 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Thank you - they're a second attempt at the processing.

I was way too dark the first time and when the prints came back I thought they looked almost OK but my wife told me (in no uncertain terms!) that they weren't. So then I downloaded a stack of wedding images by different people and checked the luminance values on the faces. They were all around 235 on the lightest bits, whereas mine were down at 200 or so. It looked OK on a backlit screen with a black frame in photoshop but not on paper.

So now I set my screen in photoshop to white and check every face. It was annoying to have to redo them all but I learned for next time.

Jul 05, 2014 at 07:59 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.278 #7 · p.278 #7 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

X-E1 and 23mm:

Jennie by jj_glos, on Flickr

35mm

Edited on Jul 05, 2014 at 10:32 PM · View previous versions

Jul 05, 2014 at 09:44 PM
fotografur
• • • •
p.278 #8 · p.278 #8 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

^
Adorable set. Such relax candid images you'll treasure for years

d~

Jul 05, 2014 at 10:08 PM
twelveish
• •
p.278 #9 · p.278 #9 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

^ Agreed, there's a certain presence and calm in those photos I really like.

I brought my new XC 50-230 on a short bike run today. Sun was high in the sky, harsh light, nothing real interesting to shoot and not a lot of time for it. But I have to say... seems pretty impressive IQ wise for what you pay. I got a great deal on mine from someone who got it free with the camera and didn't have any use for it. And really, neither do I. But for the price I figured it could be fun to have once in a while. I had already decided not to get the 55-200 since, for me, it would certainly be sitting at home on a shelf the few times I would like to have it, due to size and weight.

Anyway, I met a few very friendly ducks. One of them tried to stand on my shoe but fell off, when I was busy shooting the one in the pics. Quick edit, LR5, RAW, minor adjustments and a few local (clarity, sharpness, nothing fancy...). The BW is Nik.

Edited on Jul 06, 2014 at 09:16 AM · View previous versions

Jul 06, 2014 at 12:38 AM
galenapass
• • • •
p.278 #10 · p.278 #10 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

X-E2
55-200

Jul 06, 2014 at 04:54 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tekniqs

p.278 #11 · p.278 #11 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

4G63 wrote:
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2843/11845686935_f1ce4d08f2_b.jpgBusiness As Usual by Joey_porma, on Flickr

PI?

those mangos are BOMB

Jul 06, 2014 at 10:28 PM
4G63
• •
p.278 #12 · p.278 #12 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Tekniqs wrote:
PI?

those mangos are BOMB

Yes, it was in Roxas Boulevard. I concur, it's my favorite fruit.

Jul 07, 2014 at 04:42 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.278 #13 · p.278 #13 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Ian Boys wrote:
Thank you - they're a second attempt at the processing.

I was way too dark the first time and when the prints came back I thought they looked almost OK but my wife told me (in no uncertain terms!) that they weren't. So then I downloaded a stack of wedding images by different people and checked the luminance values on the faces. They were all around 235 on the lightest bits, whereas mine were down at 200 or so. It looked OK on a backlit screen with a black frame in photoshop but not on paper.

So now I set
...Show more

It's a good lesson: Workflow needs to match output. I use different screen brightnesses depending on if my final output is print or screen. And I often do a first process in Aperture at full screen (dark), and then go back through the selects on a final pass in windowed mode with a whitish background... for the exact reason you're describing. I also have to be careful about ambient light in the room when processing.

This is all on a hardware calibrated monitor, btw.

Jul 07, 2014 at 05:43 AM
rji2goleez
• • • •
p.278 #14 · p.278 #14 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Here's my first attempt at focus stacking. 235 images using the intervalometer on the X-T1. Images were shot at a 2 second interval. Clouds were moving quite fast so I may want to try a 1 second interval for comparison. Still, an interesting result.

Jul 07, 2014 at 11:41 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.278 #15 · p.278 #15 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Just curious. Why would you need that many images for a focus stack on a scene like this?. There should be adequate depth of field here in one shot....maybe two if you were picky. I've seen ultra close macro shots at 5x magnification that only use 100 shots. Also, how did you move focus accurately with a 2 second delay?

Jul 07, 2014 at 12:00 PM
rji2goleez
• • • •
p.278 #16 · p.278 #16 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Jman13 wrote:
Just curious. Why would you need that many images for a focus stack on a scene like this?. There should be adequate depth of field here in one shot....maybe two if you were picky. I've seen ultra close macro shots at 5x magnification that only use 100 shots. Also, how did you move focus accurately with a 2 second delay?

The purpose was not for depth of field but to capture the moving clouds across the sky. I had read about the work of Matt Malloy and wanted to try the technique for myself. See http://matt-molloy.artistwebsites.com/ He has some pretty cool images using this technique. I can imagine that the number of images can vary greatly as can the frequency of shots taken depending on the scene. Basically, I just selected a bunch of images and processed through a script in PSCS.

Jul 07, 2014 at 12:07 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.278 #17 · p.278 #17 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Ok. Not really focus stacking then (that's specifically stacking images for increased depth of field with a moving focus point). Stacking images for motion works pretty well at night like this, but the intervalometer is going to cause issues (like the stutters you see here, which you may like, but I personally think looks like an error, but that's me) because of the huge delay between exposures. Better (again, in my opinion) to pick up a nice thick ND filter to enable a minimum of 30 second exposures, then stack if you want longer (I have a 10 stop and 3 stop which allows for 2-5 minute exposures in daylight, which I've done and I prefer to stacking...for longer, I'd stack). The key is to have the vast majority of the image made up of actual exposure time. If you're shooting without NDs and stacking every two seconds, you're only capturing a very small fraction of the actual time and movement and you won't get good results.

Also, to avoid stacking delays at all (since the X-T1 requires a minimum of 1 second between exposures) pick up a remote release, set it to continuous shooting and lock the button down. I recommend the Vello RS-C1II remote...it's made ostensibly for Canon, but works with any camera that can use the mini sub (mic) port for a remote release, and the Fujis work great this way. It's flawless on my X-T1, and it costs a fraction of what the Fuji RR-90 costs. I reviewed it here: http://admiringlight.com/blog/mini-review-vello-rs-c1ii-remote-release-fuji-x-t1/

Jul 07, 2014 at 12:29 PM
rji2goleez
• • • •
p.278 #18 · p.278 #18 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

In fact, I just ordered the Vello-C1II remote the other day based on your review. It should arrive on Tuesday (love Amazon Prime). Can't beat the cost! I agree with all you are saying and this was just a test more to run and play with the PSCS script as well as seeing a result. Thanks for the reminder to set to continuous shooting too. It will be fun to continue to explore this . . .

Jul 07, 2014 at 12:37 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.278 #19 · p.278 #19 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Yeah, for the cost it's a no-brainer. It seems well built and the wire is nice and thick, so it should resist damage pretty well, but of course one never knows how durable some of these things are when used over the long haul. But frankly, for the cost, I might pick up a spare just in case.

Jul 07, 2014 at 01:09 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.278 #20 · p.278 #20 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

X-E1 & 60mm f2.4:

Jennie by -jj_glos-

Jennie by -jj_glos-

Jul 07, 2014 at 09:03 PM
1       2       3              277      
       279              342       343       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell