Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              230      
       232              320       321       end

Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

HelenaN
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.231 #1 · p.231 #1 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Thank you!

Apr 09, 2014 at 08:33 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.231 #2 · p.231 #2 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

HelenaN wrote:
Tried X-A1 + XF 14mm for night shooting a couple of weeks ago. I'm generally happy with how they turned out (only the first one has had any post processing by me - all I did with the others was apply one of the new Fuji Lightroom color profiles).
There's one issue though; it's very hard to make the lights into starbursts. Either they are just an indistinct spot, or when they do look "star'ish" there's usually an ugly blob of flare next to them. I don't remember that it was so difficult with X-E1. For these shots it doesn't
...Show more

Very nice set, Helena!
Regarding the missing "starbursts": it's probably more related to lens- or aperture-blade-design, as I've never seen really nice starbursts with Fujinon-XF-lenses. A former poster at this thread (sorry, don't recall his name, he posted mainly night-scenes in B&W, many with very distinct stars) wrote here once he'd choose the Voigtlaender 15mm over the XF14/2.8 because of the starbursts he got with the Voigtlaender.
Most of my manual focus Nikkor-lenses will show starburst's at command, no luck with the XF-optics so far ;-)

Apr 09, 2014 at 11:54 PM
rji2goleez
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.231 #3 · p.231 #3 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Wonderful morning light in Minneapolis

Apr 10, 2014 at 02:36 AM
galenapass
• • • •
p.231 #4 · p.231 #4 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

X-E2 with 55-200

Apr 10, 2014 at 05:04 AM
HelenaN
• • •
p.231 #5 · p.231 #5 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

georgms wrote:
Very nice set, Helena!
Regarding the missing "starbursts": it's probably more related to lens- or aperture-blade-design, as I've never seen really nice starbursts with Fujinon-XF-lenses. A former poster at this thread (sorry, don't recall his name, he posted mainly night-scenes in B&W, many with very distinct stars) wrote here once he'd choose the Voigtlaender 15mm over the XF14/2.8 because of the starbursts he got with the Voigtlaender.
Most of my manual focus Nikkor-lenses will show starburst's at command, no luck with the XF-optics so far ;-)

Thank you! That sounds likely. I remember that was a bit difficult to do starbursts with X-E1 (same lens), but it didn't seem nearly as hard as this and I never noticed any ugly "flare blobs" either. Maybe it's just that I haven't been in exactly the same light situations yet, or else the lens coating on X-A1 is different and causes some internal reflections. Or perhaps a little of both.

Anyway, overall I'm very happy with the Fuji gear and the colors are just lovely. Now when we have the profiles in Lightroom it's even better.

Apr 10, 2014 at 08:01 AM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.231 #6 · p.231 #6 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:37 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.231 #7 · p.231 #7 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

and something different ... Fuji x-t1 and ancient nikkor-s 50mm

Apr 10, 2014 at 01:01 PM
rji2goleez
• • • •
p.231 #8 · p.231 #8 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Finally got to do some landscape with the X-T1. I had one issue. Somehow the camera setting went to jpeg and would not let me set it to RAW. I couldn't for the life of me figure it out. I shut the camera off, changed lenses and it became accessible to switch back to raw. What prevents the camera from going to RAW mode?

Sunrise at Deerfield Beech, Florida.

Apr 10, 2014 at 01:05 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.231 #9 · p.231 #9 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

The camera won't go to raw if it's in drive modes CH or CL, bracketing mode or double exposure mode. Easy dial to knock.

Apr 10, 2014 at 01:16 PM
rji2goleez
• • • •
p.231 #10 · p.231 #10 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Hmmm, I don't recall seeing any of those changes . . . but bracketing mode? I can't bracket in RAW? Maybe I partially knocked the setting when changing from ISO 200 to ISO L. Something to watch.

Apr 10, 2014 at 01:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

apsphoto
• • •
p.231 #11 · p.231 #11 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

ISO L and ISO H are jpg only you cannot shoot raw at ISO 100, the lowest ISO for raw is 200. I am guessing you wanted the lower ISO to increase exposure time, ND filters will be your friend.

Alan

Apr 10, 2014 at 01:41 PM
JoshI
• •
p.231 #12 · p.231 #12 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

HelenaN wrote:
Thank you! That sounds likely. I remember that was a bit difficult to do starbursts with X-E1 (same lens), but it didn't seem nearly as hard as this and I never noticed any ugly "flare blobs" either. Maybe it's just that I haven't been in exactly the same light situations yet, or else the lens coating on X-A1 is different and causes some internal reflections. Or perhaps a little of both.

Anyway, overall I'm very happy with the Fuji gear and the colors are just lovely. Now when we have the profiles in Lightroom it's even better.

I'm not a Fuji X shooter (yet), but I can tell you that I usually don't see point light sources turn into stars until I stop down a little more than f5.6. Next time your shooting in that situation, try stopping down to f11 or so and see what happens.

Josh

Apr 10, 2014 at 02:01 PM
rji2goleez
• • • •
p.231 #13 · p.231 #13 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

apsphoto wrote:
ISO L and ISO H are jpg only you cannot shoot raw at ISO 100, the lowest ISO for raw is 200. I am guessing you wanted the lower ISO to increase exposure time, ND filters will be your friend.

Alan

That was it exactly! I'm a Canon convert and didn't realize ISO L was JPEG only. I also use a Vari-ND for these kinds of shots.

Apr 10, 2014 at 02:13 PM
esanchez
• • •
p.231 #14 · p.231 #14 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

rji2goleez wrote:
Finally got to do some landscape with the X-T1. I had one issue. Somehow the camera setting went to jpeg and would not let me set it to RAW. I couldn't for the life of me figure it out. I shut the camera off, changed lenses and it became accessible to switch back to raw. What prevents the camera from going to RAW mode?

Sunrise at Deerfield Beech, Florida.

Setting to ISO 100 L will only shoot in jpg. I've done that before and then gone duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really hate it...I tend to set it to L = ISO 100 when in bright light to keep the shutter down, but it prevents me from shooting RAW.

Apr 10, 2014 at 02:29 PM
HelenaN
• • •
p.231 #15 · p.231 #15 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

JoshI wrote:
I'm not a Fuji X shooter (yet), but I can tell you that I usually don't see point light sources turn into stars until I stop down a little more than f5.6. Next time your shooting in that situation, try stopping down to f11 or so and see what happens.

Josh

Thanks, but I have already tried everything between f/5.6 and f/13 and it doesn't help. Sorry, I forgot to mention this in my first post.

Oh well, I'm happy with the Fuji for just about everything else, so I'll just use my Ricoh GR for troublesome light situations.

Apr 10, 2014 at 02:31 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.231 #16 · p.231 #16 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Some with the 10-24 this morning:

Some fun with HDR:

And what I could coax out of a single image:

Apr 10, 2014 at 03:21 PM
johnahill
• • • •
p.231 #17 · p.231 #17 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Wow, great shots on this page.
Jordan, the 10-24 shots look great.
Bob - Great cityscapes as usuall, love the morning lights ones and the second pier shot.
galenapass - Great shots with the 55-200, I think you're getting a stare-down in the last shot
Ian - Great portrait, conveys a lot of mood.

Apr 10, 2014 at 08:18 PM
johnahill
• • • •
p.231 #18 · p.231 #18 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Here's a few from a local park/orchard with 32mm Zeiss on X-A1

Apr 10, 2014 at 08:30 PM
rji2goleez
• • • •
p.231 #19 · p.231 #19 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Nice John! I wish the flowers were out back home but I'll have to 'settle' for these scenes while visiting family. Image #3 is another from the same scene posted earlier today.

Edited on Apr 11, 2014 at 01:04 AM · View previous versions

Apr 11, 2014 at 12:51 AM
timpdx
• • •
p.231 #20 · p.231 #20 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Not the biggest wildflower year by a long shot here in droughtland California, but these guys seemed have made it ok.

X-E1 and 14mm

Poppies at Gorman

Apr 11, 2014 at 12:58 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password