1       2       3              177      
       179              577       578       end

Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

fishjump
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.178 #1 · p.178 #1 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

arbitrage wrote:
I just wanted to stop in and say that there are many, many amazing pictures in this thread. I finally jumped into mirror less last week by picking up the XE2, 18-55 and the 23mm lens. It will be in addition to my extensive Canon gear that I use for wildlife and birding. I plan to use the XE2 for hiking and travel where my purpose isn't wildlife.

I use LR5 for my Canon gear and have continued to use it for the XE2 so far. I've been shooting RAW + Fine so I can compare the Fuji jpeg (which everyone
...Show more

You should download LR 5.3 RC, it is better at processing the X trans file.

Dec 05, 2013 at 03:27 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.178 #2 · p.178 #2 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

fishjump wrote:
You should download LR 5.3 RC, it is better at processing the X trans file.

That is what I am using, I never used the previous versions on the Fuji so I can't compare. It does a good job, but the colours out of the Fuji jpeg are hard to replicate.

Dec 05, 2013 at 03:48 PM
Delatant
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.178 #3 · p.178 #3 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Love the work here! Just received my X-E2, 18-55 (which I will immediately sell) and 23 - going to shoot now! Thanks so much for the LR 5.3 RC tip - just downloaded and installed. Have never really like LR processing of my XE1 files - pray 5.3RC helps!!

Keep the pics coming!

Dec 05, 2013 at 07:11 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.178 #4 · p.178 #4 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Since this seems to come up every now and again. What is the best current tool to process XTrans? I have used LR5.2 and DCRaw. Get better results with DCRaw, but barely and the workflow is slow.

Dec 05, 2013 at 07:20 PM
itai195
• • •
p.178 #5 · p.178 #5 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

I've heard a lot of good things about Photo Ninja. However, like all converters that aren't LR or Aperture, I really dislike the UI.

Dec 05, 2013 at 07:22 PM
AbramG
• • • •
p.178 #6 · p.178 #6 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

carstenw wrote:
Report!

Well so far I'm impressed with the overall handling on the X-Pro body (I use the hand grip). It feels extremely well constructed in comparison to the 18mm and 35mm lenses (which also feel well made). I really like the manual focus ring as well, it still uses the stepping motor but it is absolutely usable in my opinion.

Image quality observations are limited as it only arrived yesterday and I haven't had a lot of time to shoot with it yet. Wide open it looks pretty good in the center if I'm honest. Stopping down even to f/2.0 seems to improve the overall image dramatically. That's not to say that f/1.4 is unusable, it's just f/2.0 is noticeably better.

Running through the rest of the apertures further improves the image (as would be expected). I will hopefully get some time to get out soon and shoot with this thing and share some images with you all.

Dec 05, 2013 at 10:22 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.178 #7 · p.178 #7 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

kwoodard wrote:
Since this seems to come up every now and again. What is the best current tool to process XTrans? I have used LR5.2 and DCRaw. Get better results with DCRaw, but barely and the workflow is slow.

Capture One is wonderful - you just missed a 30% off promotion, though. I sometimes use my X-E1 as a change of pace camera when I am shooting in the studio - for people/skin tones, the color balancing tools in CO save a lot of time compared to doing it in Photoshop.

Dec 05, 2013 at 10:22 PM
Mike Elfner
• •
p.178 #8 · p.178 #8 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Photo Ninja is also my tool of choice. Highly recommended!

itai195 wrote:
I've heard a lot of good things about Photo Ninja. However, like all converters that aren't LR or Aperture, I really dislike the UI.

Dec 06, 2013 at 05:48 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.178 #9 · p.178 #9 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Dec 07, 2013 at 06:52 AM
W.T. Jones
• •
p.178 #10 · p.178 #10 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Some nice light in that first one Spyro.

Dec 07, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Spyro P.
• • • •
p.178 #11 · p.178 #11 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

thanks
you know what they say in marketing? if you can't make it good, make it big. If you can't make it big, make it red... or pink/orange in my case

it's basically the tint from my cokin filters, but the city did sparkle for a few minutes there... golden hour light.

Dec 07, 2013 at 10:17 AM
alba63
• • •
p.178 #12 · p.178 #12 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Spyro P. wrote:
you know what they say in marketing? if you can't make it good, make it big. If you can't make it big, make it red... or pink/orange in my case

Wow, that was enlightening - I never heard this marketing device, but it certainly makes sense.

But the sunset cityscape shot was through a Cokin filter that gave the color? Luckily, I was wondering already about the color which at least does not seem too natural.

Although I certainly feel Fuji has been following the "make it red/ orange" method, looking at all those X-E2 online samples: They haven't really managed to make it really better (sensor), nor bigger (MP), so they made it more red....

Dec 07, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Mike Elfner
• •
p.178 #13 · p.178 #13 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Dec 07, 2013 at 03:53 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.178 #14 · p.178 #14 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

alba63 wrote:
Although I certainly feel Fuji has been following the "make it red/ orange" method, looking at all those X-E2 online samples: They haven't really managed to make it really better (sensor), nor bigger (MP), so they made it more red....

Nah they're definitely doing i right.
people obviously love these cameras and sensors because they are buying them in large quantities, and fuji's imaging solutions division is breaking even for the first time after many years.
Which is an achievement and a half in this industry where most companies are making losses these days.

Dec 07, 2013 at 03:57 PM
alba63
• • •
p.178 #15 · p.178 #15 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Spyro P. wrote:
Nah they're definitely doing i right.
people obviously love these cameras and sensors because they are buying them in large quantities,

I didn't want to say they are not good, just that since the X-Pro1 (march 2012) all subsequent cameras have had the same sensor with the same performance, except for the addition of PDAF pixels, so instead of making the X-Trans sensor better, they just made it redder.

BTW, last info I read was that the imaging department of Fuji still made losses in the last year, due to the compact cameras which don't go well. They also said that the X line does better, but compacts tear them down.

Except that you have different (and more valid) info, this is what I read in several places.

Bernie

Dec 07, 2013 at 04:32 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.178 #16 · p.178 #16 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

A sketch-like processed shot with the X-Pro1 and XF18/2, miles apart from the original RAF-file, but pretty close to the images I've captured with my eyes and mind ;-)

sand-blasting during storm-deep "Xaver", X-Pro1 and XF18 at f/8

Dec 08, 2013 at 02:50 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.178 #17 · p.178 #17 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

alba63 wrote:
I didn't want to say they are not good, just that since the X-Pro1 (march 2012) all subsequent cameras have had the same sensor with the same performance, except for the addition of PDAF pixels, so instead of making the X-Trans sensor better, they just made it redder.

BTW, last info I read was that the imaging department of Fuji still made losses in the last year, due to the compact cameras which don't go well. They also said that the X line does better, but compacts tear them down.

Except that you have different (and more valid) info, this
...Show more
Hi Bernie, yes still lossess but only just, which is a huge improvement from previous years. True about compacts but who cares, the pertinent point for us users is that x series sales are on the up hence commercially viable and the company will keep supporting and evolving them.

Anyway this is an image thread, here's a couple from an event at a greek music venue
ceiling bounced flash mostly with the x-e2 and x100s

Dec 08, 2013 at 08:28 AM
Mike Elfner
• •
p.178 #18 · p.178 #18 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

@georgms
I like your vision!

Dec 08, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Nicolas_Goulet
• •
p.178 #19 · p.178 #19 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

End of a Season by Nicolas_Goulet, on Flickr

Dec 08, 2013 at 01:38 PM
BokehBeauty
• •
p.178 #20 · p.178 #20 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

The low light focusing capability of the X-E2 allows me to take pictures in light conditions I wouldn't have even tried with the X-E1. This room had very little light. Pictures with only little fill-in flash required 1/30s @f1.4 at ISO 3200.
Now I should have taken more care on the off-camera positioning of the flash (EF-X20) to avoid the shadows while preserving the high key exposure on the important parts. Anyhow I like this image.

X-E2, 35mm @2.8 1/60s, ISO 3200.

Edited on Dec 09, 2013 at 05:52 PM · View previous versions

Dec 08, 2013 at 09:39 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password