Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              172      
       174              287       288       end

Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

millsart
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.173 #1 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Good news from Adorama, Black only bodies appear to be shipping, and B&H had the black kit w/ 18-55 listed as in stock today

Hopefully X-E2's should be getting into the hands of everyone who placed orders soon

Edited on Nov 22, 2013 at 04:08 AM · View previous versions

Nov 22, 2013 at 03:55 AM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.173 #2 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Jman13 wrote:
Aside from what's mentioned above, the biggest thing aside from the much better EVF refresh, which was huge tonight in low light, is that the E2 can continue to zoom in while it's writing images to the card. The E1 can't. You have to wait until the buffer is flushed before magnifying the view again. The rear LCD is also much higher res in addition to being larger.

Tonight was the first time I used the digital split prism focusing. While peaking is better for most things, the bike shots were really hard to nail with the focus peaking, but
...Show more

I didn't know about the split-prism focusing... If its software driven, I wonder if we will see that trickle down into the XE1? Of all the updates, I would like to have the faster refresh rate and the split prism. All the rest is moot for me. Will hang onto the XE1 for a while. Thanks for the tangent.

Nov 22, 2013 at 04:01 AM
corposant
• • • •
p.173 #3 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Heading out to sea…

© corposant 2013

Nov 22, 2013 at 04:55 AM
W.T. Jones
• •
p.173 #4 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

kwoodard wrote:
I didn't know about the split-prism focusing... If its software driven, I wonder if we will see that trickle down into the XE1? Of all the updates, I would like to have the faster refresh rate and the split prism. All the rest is moot for me. Will hang onto the XE1 for a while. Thanks for the tangent.

From what I have read, the X-E1 & any camera with the first generation X-Trans sensor cannot have split image. It is dependent on the PDAF pixels on the Xtrans II sensor or some perhaps some other Hardware that is not present in the X-E1. That is why you only see it in the X-Trans II censored cameras, X100S & X-E2

Nov 22, 2013 at 07:07 AM
adrianb
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.173 #5 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Hi all
Don't know if this is the best place to post this, but...

I m tempted to get a X-M1...

I currently have 2 x Canon 5Dc, a 24mm 1.4 L II, a 50mm Yashica ML 50mm 1.7 & Tair 300 mm f4.5 (m42).

I was tempted by the 6D, but it's too expensive and I don't want to sell 2 bodies + add money to get just one body (even though the 6D is the perfect body for me,for what I do).

So after reconsidering, I realize that I need a very compact & potent body for travelling with the motorcycle (and not only) but also a a body that can cope with shooting @ events, not just a gizmo to use on the bike.

So i've thought I'd sell one of the two 5Dc and put some money and get a mirrorless.

The mirrorless will be perfect for landscape/stationary subjects, photo sessions, etc..

I was thinking about Nex-5N ,since it's decent enough and cheap.

Then I thought since i'm getting a mirrorless, i'd like one with good IQ & wi fi.

THe battle now is between Sony Nex-6 and Fuji X-E1/ X-A1 /X-M1.

I've seen that the Nex-6 has the better display, better video functions/controls, but in terms of pure IQ, the Fuji system is a bit better (at high ISO & dynamic range).

So it's gonna be a Fuji. The X-Pro 1 is too expensive, so we rule that one out.
Then we have the X-E1, X-A1 & X-M1.

From what I get, the X-E1 and X-M1 have the same senzor, the X TRANS (without the AA filter), and the X-A1 has the CMOS aps-c senzor.

Now I narrowed my choices between the X-E1 and X-M1.

I've seen the reviews & the specs but can somebody tell me, exactly, what sensor lies in X-Pro1, X-E1, X-A1, X-M1, X-E2 ? and what processor?

The X-E1 has an EVF, and those dials on top (for exposure compensation and ISO), the X-M1 has no viewfinder whatsoever (and has a more plastic feel) (i don't know exactly the build of the X-E1).

In terms of Image Quality, does the X-E1 & X-M1 have the same sensor & processor? are they the same in terms of ISO figures, noise at high ISO?

They're priced pretty close (body vs body), with the X-M1 being a bit cheaper.

I plan on using it (which ever I will get) with manual lenses (such as the Yashica ML 50mm 1.7, and other lenses) since MF lenses are far cheaper and provide very good IQ.

The 24m 1.4L II will remain glued to my remaining 5D, and I plan to shoot the Fuji X alongside the 5D.

I'd be tempted to get the Fuji X with a lens (kit lens perhaps), because if I want to use it as a travel body (with the bike), there would be no logic to attach to it a large / huge manual focus lens.... but I'm not sure about the IQ rendered by the Fuji X lenses. (perhaps one can suggest one or two fuji x lenses (not too expensive)).

Sorry about the long read, but who ever got this far with the read, perhaps can enlighten me
(thanks in advance :P )

Nov 22, 2013 at 09:16 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.173 #6 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Xpro, E1 and M1 have the same sensor. E1 has EVF. M1 has cheaper build, is smaller and has no EVF. The M1 is faster to operate and has a better rear screen. Writes faster too and has WiFi. Otherwise is very similar to the E1.

The E2 is basically an M1 in an E1 body and the newer sensor with Phase detection AF and all the bells and whistles. I have the E1, M1 and E2. E1 will be sold soon since I got the E2 and the M1 will remain my second body.

Nov 22, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.173 #7 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Correct. It uses the PDAF for the digital split image.

W.T. Jones wrote:
From what I have read, the X-E1 & any camera with the first generation X-Trans sensor cannot have split image. It is dependent on the PDAF pixels on the Xtrans II sensor or some perhaps some other Hardware that is not present in the X-E1. That is why you only see it in the X-Trans II censored cameras, X100S & X-E2

Nov 22, 2013 at 10:26 AM
adrianb
• •
p.173 #8 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Jman13 wrote:
Xpro, E1 and M1 have the same sensor. E1 has EVF. M1 has cheaper build, is smaller and has no EVF. The M1 is faster to operate and has a better rear screen. Writes faster too and has WiFi. Otherwise is very similar to the E1.

The E2 is basically an M1 in an E1 body and the newer sensor with Phase detection AF and all the bells and whistles. I have the E1, M1 and E2. E1 will be sold soon since I got the E2 and the M1 will remain my second body.

So can you tell me exactly what sensor & processor each of the 3 models have? (if i'm not being too annoying)?
From an IQ stand point of view, would I see any difference between X-E1 and X-M1? which would perform better in terms of IQ ( and high ISO)?

also how's the build quality between X-E1 and X-M1 (materials, etc) (i know they differ in functions & dials etc)

Nov 22, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.173 #9 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Xpro, E1 and M1 have the original XTrans. E2 has Xtrans II. Image quality is identical between the first three and pretty darn close even with the newer sensor.

The E1 and XPro have the same original processor. The M1 and E2 share the same second gen processor which is about twice as fast and helps in responsiveness.

The E1 and E2 are built with lightweight metal on the tip and bottom. The M1 is all plastic. While the materials feel a lot cheaper in the m1, it is solidly constructed.

Here are my two in depth reviews of the E1 and M1. In working on my E2 review now and hope to have it done in the next few days.

X-E1: http://admiringlight.com/blog/review-fujifilm-x-e1/

X-M1: http://admiringlight.com/blog/review-fujifilm-x-m1/

Nov 22, 2013 at 10:49 AM
adrianb
• •
p.173 #10 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

thank you all,just what I wanted to know.

now about the other questions,regarding fuji lenses...is it worth getting the M1 with the kit lens? 16-50? I mainly plan to use the body with manual lenses (yashica, etc)...

btw, does the M1 have peak focus? (and if not,which of fuji's line up has?)

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jman13
• • • • • •
p.173 #11 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

A lot of this questions are answered in my review. All current Fuji cameras have focus peaking. It works best on the m1, A1 and E2, though.

The 16-50 is a good, but not great lens. It's worth the $100 in a kit and has a nice rendering, but average sharpness. The Fuji primes and high end zooms are spectacular, though. I have a 16-50 review as well on my site.

Nov 22, 2013 at 02:01 PM
Mike Elfner

p.173 #12 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Nov 22, 2013 at 03:02 PM
Rob_O
• •
p.173 #13 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

adrianb wrote:
So can you tell me exactly what sensor & processor each of the 3 models have? (if i'm not being too annoying)?
From an IQ stand point of view, would I see any difference between X-E1 and X-M1? which would perform better in terms of IQ ( and high ISO)?

also how's the build quality between X-E1 and X-M1 (materials, etc) (i know they differ in functions & dials etc)

Adding to Jordan's reviews and insightful feedback, a French publication have done some IQ/noise comparison tests between X-E1, X-E2, NEX 6 and Oly PEN (EP-5). I'm not usually one to cite technical studies or benchmark tests or charts, preferring real world results instead. And I know nothing of the source in terms of quality/reliability/etc. However ... this seemed to address some of your queries so I'll throw it out there with that in mind.

Focus Numerique IQ test with downloadable RAW files for pixel peeping comparison

Nov 22, 2013 at 04:52 PM
MagicNikon
• • •
p.173 #14 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Some portraits of one of my favorite acts on the renaissance festival circuit.

Nov 22, 2013 at 05:22 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.173 #15 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

MagicNikon wrote:
Some portraits of one of my favorite acts on the renaissance festival circuit.

I like the B&W backlit photo - did you any post work to the environment or is this sooc ambient exposure?

Nov 22, 2013 at 05:30 PM
MagicNikon
• • •
p.173 #16 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

I raised the shadows a tad in LR.

Nov 22, 2013 at 05:45 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.173 #17 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Great shots! I love the first a lot, as well as the last one and the backlit photo as well. Excellent work.

Nov 22, 2013 at 05:48 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.173 #18 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

What a great set! Wonderful examples of the versatility of the X-system. Thanks for sharing!

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:01 AM
michael49
• • • • •
p.173 #19 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

One more from Grand Canyon.....

18-55...

....and a couple of local shots from a rainy day today, all with X-E1....
35 f/1.4....

Nov 23, 2013 at 01:51 AM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.173 #20 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Took out an old friend of a lens on the XE1... Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 2/58.

It renders colors so very well, only played with this a little in LR. I have noticed that some of my shots even at ISO200 are showing noise. Still trying to work out why. I always forget to change the lens in the the camera data.

_DSF3698-Edit by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Nov 23, 2013 at 05:56 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password