Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              170      
171
       172              577       578       end
  

Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread
  
 
Mike Elfner
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.171 #1 · p.171 #1 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread


@Jordan
Wonderful set! Thanks for sharing. Hopefully you will stay with the Fuji and not change to the E-M1



Nov 19, 2013 at 07:00 AM
twelveish
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.171 #2 · p.171 #2 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread


Damn Mike. Very nice. You should shoot more often.

A few more from my X-E1 and 35/1.4.

Boston:
















Portland ME:






And for no good reason, a tiger (heavy crop, edited in LR5, 18-55 at the long end):







Nov 19, 2013 at 11:23 AM
you2
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.171 #3 · p.171 #3 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread


Hum. The apple store; I pass that one at least once a week; maybe I should stop in sometime ? However, I don't remember seeing a tiger anywhere near it



Nov 19, 2013 at 02:30 PM
Rob_O
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.171 #4 · p.171 #4 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread


A few "behind the scenes" shots with the X-E2 and 35 f/1.4 at a school 'rock concert' over the weekend.










Nov 19, 2013 at 08:28 PM
Rob_O
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.171 #5 · p.171 #5 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread


And a few of the show, which featured a variety of bands ranging from middle school (youngest being 6th graders) up to seniors in high school.

Again, X-E2 with 35 f/1.4 wide open. There were countless times where I wished my damn 23 f/1.4 had arrived, as the extra FL would have been nice. 14 f/2.8 just wasn't fast enough.












Nov 19, 2013 at 08:33 PM
leo11877
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.171 #6 · p.171 #6 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread


Rob_O wrote:
A few "behind the scenes" shots with the X-E2 and 35 f/1.4 at a school 'rock concert' over the weekend.

http://ppcdn.500px.org/52608470/0c7d6126f4afbf048d7d5243d998245df0048e66/4.jpg

http://ppcdn.500px.org/52608520/34195f81f6d9153132f061196974e8f333eebb60/4.jpg

http://ppcdn.500px.org/52608494/9d4ae5c9e51602ccf21a0f1f524cdde1f11c7cd7/4.jpg

http://ppcdn.500px.org/52608518/b898897ceb38b5f6aa7b49b6d8c45dc35a6d492c/4.jpg


These look superb. So is low light focusing a GO on the X-E2 compared to X-E1?



Nov 19, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Jman13
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.171 #7 · p.171 #7 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread


My last night with the 23/1.4. Have to send my review sample back tomorrow. May have to save up for this one. (my review should be done later this evening). All on the X-E2. Edit: My review of the 23/1.4 is now up for those interested: http://admiringlight.com/blog/review-fujifilm-fujinon-xf-23mm-f1-4-r/





















Nov 20, 2013 at 01:03 AM
Jesse Giammatt
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.171 #8 · p.171 #8 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread


Just got the 35 today from a member here. Quick test shot on one of my huskies. Wow!!

Xe1, 35 f/2




Nov 20, 2013 at 03:40 AM
Rob_O
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.171 #9 · p.171 #9 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread


leo11877 wrote:
These look superb. So is low light focusing a GO on the X-E2 compared to X-E1?


Yes and no. AF on the X-E2 is a marked improvement over the X-E1's, with significant performance gains across all conditions. That said, it can still hunt a bit in truly dark/low light situations. The X-E1 was like training a puppy: Once you established your expectations (i.e., camera settings, learning functional idiosyncrasies, shooting proactively, etc) then you'd usually get what you hoped for. The X-E2 is like having a purebred that's been professionally trained: It does what you ask 99% of the time.

It should be noted that for this series of shots, lighting was often good on stage; rarely was there total darkness. I had my 5D3 with fast L glass along just in case. It's super fast in low light and instills confidence shooting in conditions like this. That said, I never felt the need to grab it ... which is good, since it'd have been overkill for a bunch of snapshots.

FWIW ... I shot Auto ISO with a ceiling of 3200 since lighting varied almost constantly throughout the show, going from bright whites to dimmer, coloured gels. If there had been consistent light on stage I would have shot full manual at a set ISO. Looking back on image files I can see ISO ranging from 800 to 3200.

One thing has me scratching my head though. My *minimum shutter speed* for Auto ISO was set to 1/100 sec. However, I see shutter values as low as 1/18 of sec! In fact, a good half of my image files register below the 1/100 threshold set in-camera. Not sure why and will have to investigate, because results for under, say, 1/60 were blurry (as might be expected).






Nov 20, 2013 at 09:07 AM
W.T. Jones
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.171 #10 · p.171 #10 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread


Rob I have found that on my X100s the camera will go below set speed. I assume to get the shot. However it does not warn you at all it is doing that. I am not sure whist to think of it just yet. I nave not spent a bunch of time investigating it. But I did notice it right away when I was first looking over the features. Perhaps some more engineering needs to go into that feature.


Nov 20, 2013 at 11:17 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



carstenw
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.171 #11 · p.171 #11 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread


Rob_O wrote:
One thing has me scratching my head though. My *minimum shutter speed* for Auto ISO was set to 1/100 sec. However, I see shutter values as low as 1/18 of sec! In fact, a good half of my image files register below the 1/100 threshold set in-camera. Not sure why and will have to investigate, because results for under, say, 1/60 were blurry (as might be expected).


Did you cap the ISO range at the top?



Nov 20, 2013 at 11:55 AM
RSSmith
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.171 #12 · p.171 #12 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread


X-E1 + XF14/2.8


20131116 a088b by Ronald S. Smith, on Flickr



Nov 20, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Rob_O
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.171 #13 · p.171 #13 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread


Yes: ISO Base (Fuji term) 200, ISO Limit (or whatever they call the ceiling) 3200 and Minimum Shutter Speed of 1/100 sec.

Looking back, more than half of my shots that day are below 1/100, maybe as many as 3/4. I didn't even think to pay attention to this after setting it.

If the camera is set to override for whatever reason, then what's the point? I mean, several were at 1/18 to 1/32 ... That's not even close and renders the min shutter value useless.

carstenw wrote:
Did you cap the ISO range at the top?




Nov 20, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Jman13
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.171 #14 · p.171 #14 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread


Well, what do you expect it to do when there isn't enough light?

I'm assuming all your shots slower than the 1/100 limit are at ISO 3200. If that's the case, it's working perfectly. The Auto ISO will start at your default ISO and keep it there unless shutter speed drops below your set limit. It will increase ISO up to the maximum specified to maintain that minimum shutter speed. If, however, you are in an area that is too dark to maintain that shutter speed and you've maxed out the ISO, it will simply adjust the shutter speed to obtain proper exposure. The other option is to shoot at ISO 3200 and 1/100s no matter what and record severely underexposed images, which I'd imagine would not be something you'd want. (and if you do, switch to manual mode)

The camera can't do everything...you need to recognize that you've hit the ISO limit and either raise the ISO or shoot with a faster lens. It can't create light for you.



Nov 20, 2013 at 01:08 PM
Rob_O
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.171 #15 · p.171 #15 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread


Jman13 wrote:
Well, what do you expect it to do when there isn't enough light?

I'm assuming all your shots slower than the 1/100 limit are at ISO 3200. If that's the case, it's working perfectly. The Auto ISO will start at your default ISO and keep it there unless shutter speed drops below your set limit. It will increase ISO up to the maximum specified to maintain that minimum shutter speed. If, however, you are in an area that is too dark to maintain that shutter speed and you've maxed out the ISO, it will simply adjust the shutter speed to
...Show more

I disagree. Well, I agree with your logic ... that's obviously how Fuji have programmed it. However, I'd rather it underexposed (in this example) and let me deal with it as a user -- either by adjusting my settings or worrying about it later during post -- or have some form of "warning" that user Min Shutter Speed are being overridden due to max ISO being reached and the camera still thinking it needs more light (i.e., shutter speed still too fast).

For shots where I saw 1/18 of a second, I'll bet I could deal with the 2-stops difference for what I was shooting (very dynamic range between the shadows and bright stage lights). I'd at least have liked the option.

As for going full manual, conditions (lighting) changed too fast and often. For my son's basketball games, I go full manual and get exactly the exposure I want ... dialling it in prior to each game based on lighting at a given venue. But it's constant throughout the game, and I know what my min shutter speed needs to be for capturing the action without subject (motion) blur. Couldn't do that here. Picking any given ISO, shutter speed and aperture (although I'd have been wide open the entire show anyway) means too much variance in over/under exposures. I'd rather go with Auto ISO and a shutter floor, which might in some occasions under expose, than to constantly be chasing exposure manually.



Nov 20, 2013 at 03:29 PM
carstenw
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.171 #16 · p.171 #16 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread


I don't think this really makes sense. Or at least, you can get what you want by simply raising the max ISO. If the shot were underexposed, you would presumably fix it by increasing the exposure in post. This is the same effect as simply setting the MAX ISO higher. If you want it to underexpose as much as required to get a stable shot, set your camera to the highest ISO it has.

The way it is implemented is the same as on my Nikons, and this is perfect, IMO.



Nov 20, 2013 at 03:59 PM
Jman13
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.171 #17 · p.171 #17 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread


Well, just need to keep your eye on it. When you half press the shutter, it shows you all the exposure parameters it's using in the viewfinder. Also, if you don't mind a 2 stop underexposure, why did you have ISO 3200 set as the limit? If you wanted shutter speed above all else, I'd think you'd select to max out the ISO.

Also, if you don't mind correcting for underexposure and such in post, you can use Auto ISO in manual mode and select the shutter speed to be 1/100s and it'll never deviate from that. Of course, you lose exposure compensation there, but in situations where you absolutely need the shutter speed, that function exists.

I for one am very glad it prioritizes exposure.

Edited on Nov 20, 2013 at 04:03 PM · View previous versions



Nov 20, 2013 at 04:02 PM
xbarcelo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.171 #18 · p.171 #18 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread


You could have manual with auto ISO, which is a sort of compromise, if you do need the exposure speedů

EDIT: Jordan, you beat me to it!



Nov 20, 2013 at 04:02 PM
Rob_O
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.171 #19 · p.171 #19 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread


Jman13 wrote:
Well, just need to keep your eye on it. When you half press the shutter, it shows you all the exposure parameters it's using in the viewfinder. Also, if you don't mind a 2 stop underexposure, why did you have ISO 3200 set as the limit? If you wanted shutter speed above all else, I'd think you'd select to max out the ISO.

Also, if you don't mind correcting for underexposure and such in post, you can use Auto ISO in manual mode and select the shutter speed to be 1/100s and it'll never deviate from that. Of course, you
...Show more

Yeah, I just didn't think to monitor shutter speed after setting the Min value, figuring it wouldn't go below what I set (even if it meant improper exposure). Now I know.

And I didn't have time to 'chimp' so didn't catch it until reviewing them at home later.

As for why I didn't raise the ISO limit, it's mostly because I didn't know the camera was programmed to override settings. I'd have been okay at ISO 6400. My comment about the 2-stop underexposure related to how *I'd* prefer the camera handled things in this situation -- i.e., have the camera say "Hey, dummy, you set Minimum Shutter Speed to 1/100 sec but that's not fast enough so here's your underexposed shot" versus "Hey, dipshit, 1/100 sec minimum shutter is too fast so I've corrected it for you ... you're welcome!" I appreciate Fuji engineers have the shooter in mind. However, with an underexposed image file I can do something about it in post. With the blur created by simply giving me a "proper" exposure, I can't do much about that later.

Ideally, there would either be a user-selectable "Override Minimum Shutter Speed if Necessary" option *or* a simple warning on screen to indicate that a camera-defined proper exposure is outside selected ISO and Shutter values; at least then the user knows it's occurring and can either dial in EC or bump the ISO or go manual or whatever.

It should also be noted that I knew from sample shots before the performances began that 1/100 sec was likely a stop too fast for some shots, but I chose it anyway with this notion of preference for underexposed files (without knowing how the X-E2 would handle it). Shadow detail is so much easier to recover/manage than blown highlights, which are pretty much unrecoverable when the histogram gets that far to the right.



Nov 20, 2013 at 04:18 PM
Mike Elfner
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.171 #20 · p.171 #20 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread


@]twelveish
Thanks, and I really like your first from Portland



Nov 20, 2013 at 04:29 PM
1       2       3              170      
171
       172              577       578       end






FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              170      
171
       172              577       578       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password